Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
1. Before you call Enders out like that, try to understand what he is saying. He is saying (according to my interpretation) that Orlando, IF it had to be compared with a Cali city, compares best to LA. Consequently, he is saying the adverse also is true where LA, IF it had to be compared with a Florida city, would be closest to Orlando.
2. There are no good direct comparisons between Cali and Florida cities. This thread however was asking us to stretch the imagination a bit and make some connections. He did and did so very accurately. Maybe you should offer up your own suggestions before bashing some very valid comparisons.
Excuse me! I gave numerous examples in case you didn't read them but most were in response to your fellow Floridian's lame comparisons. The reason I eventually came to the conclusion that he wasn't using logic but instead had some agenda was due to his insistence. One can't argue with children who prefer to see things their way. All I ask is that a person at least do some research if they aren't sure. Enders obviously didn't do his homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Excuse me! I gave numerous examples in case you didn't read them but most were in response to your fellow Floridian's lame comparisons. The reason I eventually came to the conclusion that he wasn't using logic but instead had some agenda was due to his insistence. One can't argue with children who prefer to see things their way. All I ask is that a person at least do some research if they aren't sure. Enders obviously didn't do his homework.
I never attacked a person for being wrong especially about an opinion. Clearly I am more childish than you.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:04 PM

198 posts, read 653,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Um this doesn't look accurate, either Los Angeles is off or Orlando is off. It looks to me like you did LA Metro vs Orlando City on certain things. Just so you know. Not that you really made any point as to why you posted it.

No i found both listings on an almanac site, just posted a few things from each city, los angeles seemed to have a lot based on religeon, orlando based on geography and tourism.

I left a lot out but there is no comparison between these two, 20 minutes outside of orlando is country, 1hr outside of L.A. is still densly populated city.

Orlando doesnt have a large metro, Miami does, even Tampa has a larger metro than Orlando... besides theme parks, there is no comparison.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Two historically GREAT football schools. The University of Miami, and The University of Southern California. I think that's a better comparison than UCLA and UFC.
USC and UM definitely have things in common, for some reason I was confused and thinking it USC was in San Diego and already said that sways me a little but if anything I'd say the two comparisons are equal.

UM and USC don't have a whole lot more in common.

LA has a strong tech and aerospace center that Orlando also has. Miami doesn't have any tech at all.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
No i found both listings on an almanac site, just posted a few things from each city, los angeles seemed to have a lot based on religeon, orlando based on geography and tourism.

I left a lot out but there is no comparison between these two, 20 minutes outside of orlando is country, 1hr outside of L.A. is still densly populated city.

Orlando doesnt have a large metro, Miami does, even Tampa has a larger metro than Orlando... besides theme parks, there is no comparison.
Link your almanac than because I assure you it is inaccurate. If its going to say there are 7 airports in LA than there would be at least 4 in Orlando.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I think the skyline for Miami greatly helps establishing connections with say Jersey City or New York City (even though it is far smaller). I also think the layout of the city (dense and compact) with 35 square miles helps Miami also. I also see the urban beaches argument too.

But in my honest opinion it stops there, I can't name anything else Miami has in common with them. Besides maybe great bars & that dense vibrancy when you go clubbing.
I know that Atlantic City has a beach scene since I loved watching "Jersey Shore." That reminded me of Miami. What I know of NYC it seems that the beach scene isn't quite like Atlantic City [ie Coney Island] unless you go out to Rockaway Beach which I believe is in Queens. Are there clubs and restaurants right near the beach in NYC or Boston? How about Baltimore? My sense is that Virginia Beach and Charleston are mini-Miami's with some beach hotels and clubs.

But LA doesn't have the kind of restaurant\ club scene right on the beach the way South Beach does.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I just don't see how if one were to drive around the LA basin in the FLAT areas, and one were to drive around suburban Dade-County, heck even Miami Beach, I don't see how someone could say "Hey comparing these to areas is a stretch, they hardly resemble". Is it really that much of a stretch? I mean if we can compare SF and NYC, what's so far-fetched about LA/Miami similarities? That's just me. I just don't understand how one can see Miami/NYC and NOT Miami/LA. Outside of transplants, Miami looks NOTHING like anywhere up there. Even the high-rises are different. I'm just confused. I mean, SERIOUSLY? Can't anybody see the correlation between the stars, and famous people in both cities? How both cities are stereotyped with being materialistic?
Actually Polo, I will give Miami having similarities with Los Angeles very true, but Miami also does have similarities with other cities as well.

I think New Orleans & Miami are the hardest cities in this country to replicate because of their location and their unique vibe.

I honestly see more in common with the Bahamas than anywhere in the USA, IMHO.

And as for San Francisco, I really do feel it is like a Manhattan on the west coast. I read this article when I was going over some of the Alex Rodriquez controversies, and he's not the only one who has this to say:
Quote:
"I love the stadium, I love where it is in the city and I love the vibe in the city," he said. "It's like a West Coast New York, except with better weather in the summer time."
Honestly, he feels it, I do too, and I know many people on City-Data won't because everyone here is a superstar in their own right, but a lot of travelers do feel San Francisco to have shocking similarities with Manhattan.

Source: As Bonds' closes in on Aaron's record, could A-Rod be next? - MLB - ESPN

If you look at San Francisco from street view and Manhattan from street view while you're walking in both the type of people you're surrounded by, you will notice the great similarities between the two.

As for Miami, I do see the similarities with Los Angeles, but it's being overplayed, Miami has a lot in common with coastal Los Angeles, nothing than that besides the palm tree's, I don't see how the people living in the Valley area can draw any parallel to Miami at all. Or even the downtown culture of both of these cities.

Miami is too small to be compared to the entire city of Los Angeles directly.

The style of homes- Yes Miami is similar to LA in that
The shopping- Yes Miami is similar to LA
The Beach culture- Yes Miami is similar
The nightlife- I think Miami trumps LA actually but similar
The water sporting activities- Yes Miami is similar
The Palm tree's- Yes Miami is similar
The media influence- Yes Miami maybe similar or maybe it isn't.

But in all honesty, it kind of stops right there.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM

198 posts, read 653,867 times
Florida owns the NCAA for titles I believe.
USC comes in at 2nd.

Florida vs Hawaii is more like it..
Cali is just too big, too different, too much diversity and holds alot more weight in the economic sector. Besides the attractions (orlando) and tourism (miami) they are completely different.

Florida is a great state, my top 3 for living and IMO has this only simularity to Cali.
So. FLA gets the spotlight 24/7... as does SoCal
No. FLA is almost unheard of, No. Cali holds it's own weight but still gets little attention.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:14 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
USC and UM definitely have things in common, for some reason I was confused and thinking it USC was in San Diego and already said that sways me a little but if anything I'd say the two comparisons are equal.

UM and USC don't have a whole lot more in common.

LA has a strong tech and aerospace center that Orlando also has. Miami doesn't have any tech at all.
Yep, aerospace is big in both Orlando and Los Angeles, both areas are known for there weapons testing centers.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I know that Atlantic City has a beach scene since I loved watching "Jersey Shore." That reminded me of Miami. What I know of NYC it seems that the beach scene isn't quite like Atlantic City [ie Coney Island] unless you go out to Rockaway Beach which I believe is in Queens. Are there clubs and restaurants right near the beach in NYC or Boston? How about Baltimore? My sense is that Virginia Beach and Charleston are mini-Miami's with some beach hotels and clubs.

But LA doesn't have the kind of restaurant\ club scene right on the beach the way South Beach does.
Actually those are really nice cities. VB sort of reminds me of a Florida city. Charleston's more like a quiet southern beach town, but it's still fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City