Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:04 AM

228 posts, read 537,254 times

Advertisements

Lived in OKC for many years, been to Nashville a few times. Nashville wins for sure.

In no way is OKC a prettier city than Nashville. Cleaner, maybe. Prettier? No way.

OKC's downtown is making great strides, but Nashville's is already established and is much more vibrant.

OKC has some of the worst nightlife/restaurants/shopping of a city its size; Nashville wins in these categories for sure. On the other hand, I can't think of many cities with a better road system than OKC. There is almost no traffic congestion to speak of and the grid system makes it simple to find your way around town.

Nashville has more urban and walkable areas than OKC. Nashville reminds me a lot of Austin in this regard. OKC is catching up with its Midtown and Deep Deuce neighborhoods, but still has a ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 16,589 times
Default Nashville road ways

I totally agree with the ease of the OKC road ways. It is probably one of the best laid out areas I've ever driven in. If you miss a turn you can double back on the next street because of the grid system. Now if they would just maintain the actual roads then it would be perfect. Nashville on the other hand has some of the most confused roads I've ever seen or driven on. Seems like a lot of traffic for a medium sized city but it doesn't seem like traffic volume is the fault and falls more on poor road planning. Plus you need to watch yourself in Nashville in bad weather because no one can drive in snow or rain here.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:30 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,189,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
Lived in OKC for many years, been to Nashville a few times. Nashville wins for sure.

In no way is OKC a prettier city than Nashville. Cleaner, maybe. Prettier? No way.

OKC's downtown is making great strides, but Nashville's is already established and is much more vibrant.

OKC has some of the worst nightlife/restaurants/shopping of a city its size; Nashville wins in these categories for sure. On the other hand, I can't think of many cities with a better road system than OKC. There is almost no traffic congestion to speak of and the grid system makes it simple to find your way around town.

Nashville has more urban and walkable areas than OKC. Nashville reminds me a lot of Austin in this regard. OKC is catching up with its Midtown and Deep Deuce neighborhoods, but still has a ways to go.
I don't think OKC nightlife is bad at all. Bricktown is hopping on any night of the week and now you have the thunder playing downtown. When did you live in OKC in the 90's?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM

228 posts, read 537,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I don't think OKC nightlife is bad at all. Bricktown is hopping on any night of the week and now you have the thunder playing downtown. When did you live in OKC in the 90's?
I go to OKC multiple times per year to see family and have been to Bricktown (and Thunder games) many times since moving away. Rest assured, my opinions are based on the current scene in OKC.

To be sure, I've seen Bricktown pretty busy on weekends--though hardly "hopping" on any given weekday--and I do enjoy some places like Mickey Mantle's, The Mantle, and Nonna's. But I've never been at all impressed with the bars/clubs or the crowd in Bricktown, nor by other popular scenes like Western Ave. I still find Bricktown to have a better restaurant scene than a bar/club scene.

The nightlife in OKC has improved dramatically in the past 6-7 years, but still has a ways to go IMO. In the last few years, Midtown has developed into a nice area that I think has some great potential. Maybe as more people move into Deep Deuce, Bricktown will start to really flourish.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrains View Post
I totally agree with the ease of the OKC road ways. It is probably one of the best laid out areas I've ever driven in. If you miss a turn you can double back on the next street because of the grid system. Now if they would just maintain the actual roads then it would be perfect. Nashville on the other hand has some of the most confused roads I've ever seen or driven on. Seems like a lot of traffic for a medium sized city but it doesn't seem like traffic volume is the fault and falls more on poor road planning. Plus you need to watch yourself in Nashville in bad weather because no one can drive in snow or rain here.
Nashville has a spoke and wheel pattern to most of its roadways (as well as a grid in the inner city). I'll admit that to a visitor, it's probably confusing as hell. It takes some exploring around to get a better handle on the street connections. Once you get used to it, it's really not too bad...but the lack of an overall grid makes getting to certain parts of town more difficult at peak traffic times. As far as traffic, Nashville is about normal for a city its size...but traffic has gotten substantially worse as we've grown. I agree on the poor road planning, though. Road improvements tend to run about 10 years behind when they are needed.

As for driving in bad weather...that's relative to where you are. It doesn't snow a whole lot here, so naturally most drivers aren't accustomed to it (and we don't have a whole lot of equipment to clear it). However, I would venture that driving in the snow here is still better than our neighbors to the south that get even less snow.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Nashville and Oklahoma City are somewhat similar. Not in geography but moreso the cities themselves. Both Nashville and OKC are huge country music cities with both having numerous country stars living there. Both have a strong Bible belt culture coupled with New South culture. That said, I think Nashville takes the cake here in every category. Nashville is far more vibrant, and the in-migration its seen over the past decade has made it more-so. Nashville is probably 10-15 years ahead of OKC and slightly behind Charlotte.

If OKC ever wants to be a major league city, it needs to become a place people WANT to relocate to. It is working towards that, but is not there yet. Despite all the improvements, OKC is still well below where it should be for 1.3 million people. That says a lot about how the city used to be before the MAPS improvements.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
OKC is making great strides which is great but it's not there yet. In another 10 to 15 yrs. it may become as large as Nashville.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
Night life-Nashville is the country capital of the world, plenty of country clubs, plenty of other clubs too
Restaurant-Nashville is more diverse
City parks/Greenways-Nashville is more diverse tographically and the drive through their is amazing
Downtown-Could go to either
Road System-Oklahoma City
Urban walkable neighborhoods-I would say Nashville but after going on OKC forum, some of their neighbourhoods are impressive

Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
Nightlife- Nashville
Restaurants- Nashville
City parks/Greenways- Based on natural beauty, Nashville.
Downtown- Neither
Road System- Eh, both need major improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City