Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what about the NY metro tho. Isn't that taking from them?

The CSA decision in 2000 only impacted Mercer county for one and even in 2000 the interplay of the Philly metro was greater than that of the NYC metro for Mercer. Part of the CSA criteria allows the local entity to decide/approve CSA designation. It was a no brainer they could have decided either way or none but the decision to attach to the NYC metro gave the office making the decision a nearly 10% Cost of Living adjustment in wages because this. The truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Also the NYC metro is not even close to MSA status - as stated earlier most likely had the census been completed 1 year earlier or two years later the MSA movement would not have taken place - just prior to the last Census a huge Steel plant closure dropped the rate of interplay. And also part of the Census criteria, MSA assignment always trumps CSA assignment.

Trust me I know people in Philly ***** about population but in the last Census there were more than a half million removed. People in Trenton root for the Phillies and Eagles, not the Mets/Yankees/Jets/Giants... There are Phildelphia radio stations that broadcast from Trenton because it acts as part of the Philadelphia area. I mean really why would radio station from Trenton call itself a Phildelphia station if it were part of NYC? BTW one of them is a local philadelphia sports talk radio station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
well saying that the Philly metro interplay was greater than NY even back then and it was still removed doesn't give me confidence that it will be added back. The cost of living adjustment makes it even worse. I am even less convinced that they will be added back now

Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
well saying that the Philly metro interplay was greater than NY even back then and it was still removed doesn't give me confidence that it will be added back. The cost of living adjustment makes it even worse. I am even less convinced that they will be added back now

Yes but it is back over the MSA threshold - at that point there can be no arbitrary decsion made, plus I do not believe that legally Gov't agencies can cut pay due to this

And yes it was greater, by a wide margin even in 2000 and the margin has grown

if it greater than 25% there is no decision to be made, I am not sure if you got that

not to mention the other three counties are all either above or right at the 25% which collectively are 700K (and no NYC influence), with Mercer over a million. We will see when the numbers come out but all indications are somewhere close to a million will be added to the MSA

I need to run the Northampton County PA numbers, if that meets CSA criteria that would be an additional million to the CSA on top of all this

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-30-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 PM

hmmm, we will see

Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Another thing, wouldn't there be more talk about it if Philly was getting that many people? I don't seem to find much about it on the web. Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking

Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Another thing, wouldn't there be more talk about it if Philly was getting that many people? I don't seem to find much about it on the web. Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking

The people were already here, so really nothing much to speak of, just a change in commuter patterns, its not like anyones life changes are the area is different because of it, everyone already lives here

From a media perspective, how organizations advertise and promote they always were accounted so from a corporate and business perspective Philadelphia is already viewed as a much larger market. The census has various designations, but another example is even the Census from a planning and funding perspective always included the people in the Philadelphia market, even those in Mercer, was specifically cited in the 2000 census that from a regional planning and fund allocation standpoint Mercer was to be left with the Philly region. The only real impact was on their MSA and CSA lists

See the link for relative size of media market - this is based on proximity of population and regional affiliation (regional identity) Actually no bias to any municipal boundary or regional commuter dynamics (remember many of these areas were developed before highway infrastructure, many people have short commutes to work)

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-31-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 AM

you think if a metro was getting about a million residents it didn't have in the last census there wouldn't be tons of articles about it. It would be the only big metro outside the sunbelt with a percentage increase over 20%. That would be all over the net. It would put philly in the growth rates of cities such as Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston and DFW

Old 07-31-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
you think if a metro was getting about a million residents it didn't have in the last census there wouldn't be tons of articles about it. It would be the only big metro outside the sunbelt with a percentage increase over 20%. That would be all over the net. It would put philly in the growth rates of cities such as Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston and DFW
But you are confusing somthing, the population is not growing at a significant rate. That is the media focus. This is purely re-assignment. And this just goes to the point many have stated ad naseum. The population of the Phildelphia area is still far larger than either Dallas or Houston even with all their growth, now if the rates there continue they would match it next census.

It is already widely documented in other sources, namely business and media, were there is monatary relationship to sizing markets. On those it always has and still is a lot larger. When people decide where to spend money and where people live (on those metrics Philly is 20% larger (as of Fall 2009) than Dallas and 30% larger when compared to Houston). These metrics actually drive financial decisions and how money is spent, real world things...

Do you follow? This is very basic

This is more of my own personal annoyance when I hear the banter about Dallas and Houston passing the Philadelphia area in population size, they have not, nor will within the next few years unless they rapidly accelerate.

The Census excludes population less than 11 miles from city hall in Phildelphia because of quirky commuter patterns. these patterns are not similar in any other region of the country because of the population concentration among NYC, Philadelphia, and New Jersey. case in point there are nearly 4 Million more people in a 50 mile radius of Phildelphia and over 14 million more in a 100 mile radius when compared to either Dallas or Houston. Yes the census has their criteria but like any other stat they all have their shortcomings.

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-31-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 10:16 AM

It doesn't matter if it reassignment or not they take the last census's pop they add back the counties and then they state the percentage increase. This would be the biggest increase Philly has had in many many decades.

And it doesn't matter if you claim that the area has more people than Houston or Dallas. The area is not a defined place, What is defined is the Philly pop. And when they look up the philly pop numbers they see that is smaller than both.

It does not matter how close to city hall these people are. If the census says they belong to a different metro, then that is what I am gonna go by Next time have the foresight to gobble up all the land around you like us smart sunbelt cities :P

Old 07-31-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it reassignment or not they take the last census's pop they add back the counties and then they state the percentage increase. This would be the biggest increase Philly has had in many many decades.

And it doesn't matter if you claim that the area has more people than Houston or Dallas. The area is not a defined place, What is defined is the Philly pop. And when they look up the philly pop numbers they see that is smaller than both.

It does not matter how close to city hall these people are. If the census says they belong to a different metro, then that is what I am gonna go by Next time have the foresight to gobble up all the land around you like us smart sunbelt cities :P

Yes the Census does say that on some of their metrics but you do realize other Census population metrics do not, Also in practicality and among business it is a whole other story. Go try and buy media in the Philadelphia market and compare prices to Houston, you will then understand. The metric I posted is used by every major coorporation in the world (even those in Houston, go ask an oil company what the 4th largest market is in the country), because they are actually more meaningful in real life

And as many people stated if you really want to compare city size, UA (Urbanized Area) is the best metric, surprise that Philly is still # 4 and 33% ahead of both Houston and Dallas on this metric. Oh BTW that is also a Census defined metric, maybe you should consider that one too, but that doesn't correlate to your story so I am sure it will be ignored...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City