Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More important
DC 67 59.29%
SF 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I should have added Major Metro, as I wouldn't consider Greater Bridgeport a major metro as it is less than 1million people, and it is connected more to the NYC CSA.
Exactly. That area is where all the NYC elite have houses (if they're not on Long Island).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Why is so many polls with "importance" lately???

Oh well, because I hate my job, I suppose I'll vote and post something anyway.

Importance - DC, because of the govt
Prestige - San Fran because of culture, uniqueness, etc.
Economy - Tie (I believe these are pretty close, but San Fran has more of what I do)
Lifestyle - San Fran
Entertainment - Tie

I'm going with SF here because I think that SF has a unique environment that DC does not have. DC has a lot more than politics, but politics certainly has it's signature written throughout the area. I like SF's unique culture and vibrancy, as well as its natural setting.
Unique? Does SanFran even have its own accent?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Haha one of the problems was that the girls parked their rental car on a hill and got a ticket. She was saying she didn't want to pay the ticket and I had to explain that in order to avoid paying the $50 ticket, they would have to stay in Cali an extra few days and miss their flight back to Boston...they're from Brazil so I had to explain that you can't fight a ticket in Massachusetts if you received it in California haha.

I still think I'd like San Francisco...I was just very surprised they disliked it so much. Two things I've heard from them: 1. Alcatraz was cool. 2. Everyone they met was a druggie haha
Lol my experience there the very last time I was in San Francisco, I left my laptop in my cousins car, I put it under the seat. We were in a "supposedly good part of downtown" and got back later after lunch only to find the car broken into and a lot of things missing. Of which it included my laptop.

I have been to Bay Area so much, but now when I visit I don't even wear my watch in San Francisco anymore due to the paranoia of having it robbed. San Jose is relatively safe though.

Even despite that, I still very much like the Bay Area, one hell of an amazing part of our country. Definitely check it out one day, I already have a feeling you'll love it! IMO, San Francisco is kind of like a cross between Boston & Manhattan. I know people can/will disagree but it literally feels that the vibe is Boston's, and the setting inside downtown feels so much like Manhattan with hills.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 PM

34 posts, read 71,329 times
I live in SF and like it much more however DC has a strong east coast economy not to mention its the US capitol... i do think that the cities are very close in economic value though... i give the edge to DC because of government

Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM

224 posts, read 604,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Certainly. The Federal Government is the world's biggest consumer. Right now, I am working on a federally-owned computer that uses Microsoft Word (Seattle) and Symantec's software (Sunnyvale, CA) to protect it. I use Adobe Acrobat (Silicon Valley) to read many of the documents sent to me on a daily basis. Cisco, Agilent, Oracle, and Sun Microsystems all contract with the Feds. My phone was actually made by Cisco. How many dollars would the Bay Area have lost if the Feds had decided to use a vendor not from the Bay?

Companies also receive research grants from the Feds. Federal money enabled most of Silicon Valley's companies to get off the ground.

Role Of The Government In The Internet Infrastructure Revisited

Military funding of science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Remove federal money, I don't think SV would be shaken. Tech sector is far to diverse and has never been dependent on government handouts.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Yeah I just looked up the GDP. Washington DC has a larger GDP, I thought it would have been the Bay Area. They aren't too far off from one another.

Washington DC does have a far lower unemployment rate, and has a more stable economy. Bay Area has a more diverse economy, but yeah you're right, the edge does go to Washington DC. Thought I should clarify on that before I was suspected of bashing Washington DC or something like that.

My bad on that, I was wrong about the economy since I didn't look up the CSA GMP's before or got them mixed up since it's been a while. I would still like to work in the Bay Area though but that is just off preference. San Jose > Washington DC & San Francisco, IMO.
u lost the credibility you neva had.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
u lost the credibility you neva had.
says the guy typing in some sort of primitive street jibberish...

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You're looking at the finance industry. I think the comment was regarding overall economic activity.
The op said "finanical hub" so I assumed they were talking about finance.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:49 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
The op said "finanical hub" so I assumed they were talking about finance.
Well I was just pointing out that the definition may not be so specific to some.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Remove federal money, I don't think SV would be shaken. Tech sector is far to diverse and has never been dependent on government handouts.
I can't think of one industry that would not be shaken absent federal dollars, including the tech sector.

Bay Area companies munch off of federal spending like everyone else. If not, you wouldn't have tech companies lobbying on Capitol Hill in attempt to procure federal grants for state and local governments, so that they in turn can purchase their software.

AppleInsider | Briefly: Apple lobbies government, Fifth Ave. store sales booming

Congress to Big Biz: Lobby more, or else | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/congress-to-big-biz-lobby-more-or-else-96302464.html - broken link)

And you really think that Silicon Valley would be alright without federal money? Yeah right. California's industries are no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City