Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 02:07 PM

514 posts, read 765,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
"It has the largest Buddhist temple in western hemisphere
It has the largest Roman Catholic archdiocese in the country
It has the largest Mormon Temple outside of Utah.
It has the largest concentration of Scientologists in the nation
It has the second-largest Jewish population outside of Israel
It is home to the biggest variety of Buddhists in the world
It has the third largest concentration of practicing Muslims in the nation"

LA does have even have the most Jews in the U.S., that would be New York. It has the THIRD largest concentration of practicing Muslims in the nation. NY has more and that is something I hate about NY. Seriously, with so many completely wrong things that Cali Water listed why should we buy any of it? Of course we do not see anybody from CA disputing it because it makes CA look more diverse. If I gave out completely wrong facts about NY they would nail me.

You need to go away and learn to read. He DIDN'T say that LA had more Jews than NY. He DIDN'T say that LA had more Muslims than NY. I have questions about a couple of those "facts" but the two you cited were correct YOU were wrong.

All my grandparents came from Russia and I've helped some immigrants. None were like you. Did NY do that to you? That's the stereotype you know. I happen to know it's not true but in your case...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
I'd choose to be in NYC. It is a better city for walking or using public transportation. There is so much to see and do there. Yes it is expensive but so is Los Angeles. In NYC you don't even need a car to get around. And in my personal opinion, since I love food, NYC is one of the best places in the world for this. Not to put down LA in that category, but NYC may be a better place for a food lover. I just visited that place in July and I gotta say: New York pizza is pretty tasty

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM

62 posts, read 80,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
LA passed NY and London as the world’s most religiously pluralist metropolitan region!? Really?!!! Shut. Up. Seriously? Are you for real? Whipeeee!!

Everyone pack your bags and flood out of Heathrow and JFK. We're moving to LA!!!!
So now I'm bs , I even put a source there to back it up. Now go find me a counter example or prove me wrong before you come with you stupid talk. Yeah tell me to shut up when I spit facts.

Last edited by Cali Bro24; 08-17-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
You need to go away and learn to read. He DIDN'T say that LA had more Jews than NY. He DIDN'T say that LA had more Muslims than NY. I have questions about a couple of those "facts" but the two you cited were correct YOU were wrong.

All my grandparents came from Russia and I've helped some immigrants. None were like you. Did NY do that to you? That's the stereotype you know. I happen to know it's not true but in your case...
Apparently you do not know how to read. He said LA has the most Jews outside of Israel which means more than NY. I also never said that he said there are more muslims in LA than NY, I clearly said it has the THIRD most in the country. The less amount of muslims is something I envy about LA actually.

Your grandparents may have been Russian but you are not.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Apparently you do not know how to read. He said LA has the most Jews outside of Israel which means more than NY.
At least before you tell someone that they can't read make sure you are actually reading it correctly yourself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Waters View Post
It has the second-largest Jewish population outside of Israel

Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Waters View Post
So now I'm bs , I even put a source there to back it up. Now go find me a counter example or prove me wrong before you come with you stupid talk. Yeah tell me to shut up when I spit facts.
1) Your source is a freaking blog and has no source as to where it got that information.
2) Your source clearly states that LA is home to people from "more than 140 countries." But your source's list says LA has every ethnicity represented in LA but there are over 190 countries in the world. Tell me how LA could have every country represented there. From what I have heard there is only one city in the world with every nationality represented and that is NY. Ethnicity means culture or nationality to this source? If culture is what your source's definition of ethnicity is then NY most definitely has every ethnicity represented in it and not just LA like your source also claims.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
At least before you tell someone that they can't read make sure you are actually reading it correctly yourself:
Now you read my post wrong. My post said "LA has the most Jews outside of Israel which means more than NY." Then you said like I read it wrong trying to correct me with "It has the second-largest Jewish population outside of Israel." You can not read either?

"LA HAS THE SECOND LARGEST JEWISH POPULATION OUTSIDE OF ISRAEL." The largest Jewish population in the United States is in New York. So then tell me how LA could have the SECOND LARGEST JEWISH POPULATION OUTSIDE OF ISRAEL.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
"LA HAS THE SECOND LARGEST JEWISH POPULATION OUTSIDE OF ISRAEL." The largest Jewish population in the United States is in New York. So then tell me how LA could have the SECOND LARGEST JEWISH POPULATION OUTSIDE OF ISRAEL.
I read that as meaning outside of Israel it has the second highest population of Jews, NYC being number one. NYC has the highest population of Jews outside of Israel, LA has the second highest outside of Israel. Get it now?

Last edited by sav858; 08-17-2010 at 08:51 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I read that as meaning outside of Israel it has the second highest population of Jews, NYC being number one. NYC has the highest population of Jews outside of Israel, LA has the second highest outside of Israel. Get it now?
A little confusion there I admit it. My being wrong there still does not change the fact that the list is a bogus blog bragging about diversity when it lists about 30 countries with the same culture in southeast Asia saying "LA has the most of this outside of this."

Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
A little confusion there I admit it. My being wrong there still does not change the fact that the list is a bogus blog bragging about diversity when it lists about 30 countries with the same culture in southeast Asia saying "LA has the most of this outside of this."
30 SE Asian countries with the same culture? Wow, obviously you don't know about these cultures if you're making that statement. Too bad that diversity in NYC didn't teach u a little more. I'm not saying everything on that list is correct, mainly the first one claiming it's the 2nd largest English-speaking city in the world, I thought that would be NYC and London would be #1, or vice versa. But the point is LA is very diverse overall, more so than you give it credit for, and a lot of different cultures are found there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City