Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 AM

245 posts, read 712,649 times

Advertisements

I have businesses in LA, NY, and several other cities so my partner and I actually have the luxury to choose where we want to be based in as well as live. We picked LA, followed by Seattle, then NY. We're the West Coast/Pacific Ocean type I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:44 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
There seems to be some confusion about the information posted earlier, I just looked up the information myself via American Fact Finder, it checks out. The confusion comes in this form though.

Yes Los Angeles is the 2nd largest English speaking city in the world after New York City. Metro Los Angeles is larger than Greater London.

Los Angeles is also the largest concentration for other religions simply due to the immigration patterns there, such as Asian countries where there are minor religions like Jainism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism, Shintoism, Buddhism, etc... it has a larger influx of people with those backgrounds than New York City & London (they have a smaller amount of those immigrants) solely due to Asian immigration and religion differences.

Also there was a bit of confusion as to why 140 ethnicities represent Los Angeles versus there being 190-200 or so countries in the world. Those would be nationalities rather than ethnicities. Some countries that do border each other share the same ethnicity, much like saying Bhutanese & Nepali (Considered a larger part as Tibetan) or Taiwan & China (considered same ethnicity "Chinese" despite being two different countries). Or Vatican & Italian, since the Vatican is also a country but very small to have its own ethnicity despite being a nationality.

However though, the reason Los Angeles is regarded as more racially diverse than New York City is due to Los Angeles being a minority-majority metropolitan area. New York City is still a majority- minority one (non-Hispanic Caucasian ratio to minorities).

But those saying New York City is the only city in the world that has every nationality (from every country) represented are correct. That is the only city (New York City) in the world that represents every nationality.

Los Angeles has larger chunks of other religions than New York City, even though New York City has them too just Los Angeles due to immigration patterns has larger chunks of them.

And lastly Los Angeles Mexican population is 6,443,828 out of 17,786,419 people that live there. (In Los Angeles CSA)

I just wanted to clear that up though, there had seemed to be quite a lot of confusion about.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 AM

62 posts, read 80,040 times
^^ I like the last one, it proves that LA isn't as mexican as people assume it is. It's very diverse!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 AM

Oh shoot a few other misconceptions were:

It has the third largest Japanese population outside of Japan

^ 2nd largest is Honolulu.

It has the largest population of Persian Jews in the world

^ You guys do realize thats not the same thing as a American born Jewish person, right? New York City has the largest Jewish population outside of Israel, but Los Angeles has the largest immigration numbers from Persian Jewish people, most of New York City's Jewish community has been established and has been living in the city for quite some time.

Yes Los Angeles is also the 2nd largest Spanish speaking city in the world after only Mexico City. Buenos Aires is the 3rd largest in the world with a population of 12,129,819, both Los Angeles MSA & CSA surpass that.
The biggest misconception is that Brazil is not Spanish speaking country, it is Portuguese which is why Los Angeles is ahead of Sao Paulo & Rio De Janiero.

It has the second-largest Jewish population outside of Israel

^ Only after New York City on that one.
__________________________________________________ ________

Yeah Los Angeles has a long way to go before getting on New York City's level. But look at the difference, 8.5 million people in New York City (city proper) compared to 3.9 million people in Los Angeles (city proper). Thats a difference of 4.6 million people in just the city alone (thats already more than double Los Angeles's city population)... you can expect New York City to be far more ahead of anything else in America.
19 Million people in New York City's MSA versus 12.8 million people in Los Angeles's MSA.

The differences between America's largest city and the next largest city is drastic. Yeah there is nothing on New York City's level in this country, and the only true competition for New York City are London & Tokyo. Even Paris falls short (economically, by total power, financially).

And yeah I have seen so many Chicago to New York City comparison threads this week too, and notice that the people who make the threads don't know what they're talking about and aren't from either city. It isn't the people of Los Angeles or Chicago making these threads.

I already know the people of Chicago don't want anymore threads in comparison to New York City, that city absolutely demolishes everyone else in the country... so I know these threads can get irritating but its not really the people from there making them.

Los Angeles has better geographic scenery though, and is racially more diverse, that is something I hope everyone here can agree on. And also that New York City is just to massive of a city for any one American city to compare too.

But its like what I've been saying repeatedly in this thread though, New York City may be the best city in the country with no equals and no competition as all of its main competitors are global and that too only two cities (London & Tokyo) are even comparable. But many people can still prefer the lifestyle and the location and other aspects to Los Angeles more, which is respectable. To each their own for preference.
I've even once tried a Los Angeles + Chicago VS New York City thread, and New York City still had a larger GDP... what does that say?
Yeah exactly.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post

^ You guys do realize thats not the same thing as a American born Jewish person, right? New York City has the largest Jewish population outside of Israel, but Los Angeles has the largest immigration numbers from Persian Jewish people, most of New York City's Jewish community has been established and has been living in the city for quite some time.

Yes Los Angeles is also the 2nd largest Spanish speaking city in the world after only Mexico City. Buenos Aires is the 3rd largest in the world with a population of 12,129,819, both Los Angeles MSA & CSA surpass that.
The biggest misconception is that Brazil is not Spanish speaking country, it is Portuguese which is why Los Angeles is ahead of Sao Paulo & Rio De Janiero.

Yeah Los Angeles has a long way to go before getting on New York City's level. But look at the difference, 8.5 million people in New York City (city proper) compared to 3.9 million people in Los Angeles (city proper). Thats a difference of 4.6 million people in just the city alone (thats already more than double Los Angeles's city population)... you can expect New York City to be far more ahead of anything else in America.
19 Million people in New York City's MSA versus 12.8 million people in Los Angeles's MSA.

The differences between America's largest city and the next largest city is drastic. Yeah there is nothing on New York City's level in this country, and the only true competition for New York City are London & Tokyo. Even Paris falls short (economically, by total power, financially).

And yeah I have seen so many Chicago to New York City comparison threads this week too, and notice that the people who make the threads don't know what they're talking about and aren't from either city. It isn't the people of Los Angeles or Chicago making these threads.

I already know the people of Chicago don't want anymore threads in comparison to New York City, that city absolutely demolishes everyone else in the country... so I know these threads can get irritating but its not really the people from there making them.

Los Angeles has better geographic scenery though, and is racially more diverse, that is something I hope everyone here can agree on. And also that New York City is just to massive of a city for any one American city to compare too.

But its like what I've been saying repeatedly in this thread though, New York City may be the best city in the country with no equals and no competition as all of its main competitors are global and that too only two cities (London & Tokyo) are even comparable. But many people can still prefer the lifestyle and the location and other aspects to Los Angeles more, which is respectable. To each their own for preference.
I've even once tried a Los Angeles + Chicago VS New York City thread, and New York City still had a larger GDP... what does that say?
Yeah exactly.
I bet someone is gonna argue that lol!!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bro24 View Post
I bet someone is gonna argue that lol!!
No point though, Los Angeles is more racially diverse (minority-majority) where as New York City is more nationality essence of diverse. (people represented and diversified by each country in this world) New York City is also a bit more ethnically diverse.

And before I continue, remember (to everyone) racially meaning White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, & Other.

Here is a list of the largest metropolitan areas on racial diversity-

CSAs by Non-Hispanic Whites as a Percentage of the Total Population, 2008 (Non-Hispanic Caucasian ratio to Minority)
Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud, MN-WI 82.4%...
Boston-Manchester-Nashua, MA-RI-NH 79.5%...
Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH 76.2%...
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA 73.2%...
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI 70.0%...
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD 67.7%...
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 58.6%...
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI 56.4%...
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV 55.6%...
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL 54.0%...
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA 53.6%...
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 50.6%...
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX 50.5%...
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 45.5%...
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX 42.6%...
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 37.7%...

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA 34.9%...

Meaning Non-Hispanic Whites are the minority in the four metropolitan areas highlighted in different colors.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I'd rather work in NYC. California is a smoggy liberal hell hold.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'd rather work in NYC. California is a smoggy liberal hell hold.
Really? I got to the beach no smog. I got to the mountains no smog. I go to the deserts no smog just sun. I go to the bay no smog. LA Metro smog, Riverside- San Bernandino smog. Maybe you should say LA is a smoggy hell hold instead of All of California. Remember: LA doesn't define all of California.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Quote:

Yeah exactly.
+1
My point exactly.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 AM

10,111 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:

Yeah exactly.
More People perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City