Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SoCal or SoTex
Southern California 60 75.95%
South Texas 19 24.05%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 06:39 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times

Advertisements

This is a weird post. Houston isn't considered South Texas. South Texas is Corpus, Laredo, the Rio Grand Valley, and maybe San Antonio. Still, I'll include Houston since that is what the OP requested, and it is the city, along with LA that I've lived in the longest.

I looked through the categories the OP listed, and SoCal win all of them. Some of them like weather and natural scenery, SoCal crushes South Texas + Houston. Some of them like food, SoCal still wins in my book, but South Texas + Houston is very close.

In my opinion, SoCal offers more, but it comes at a price.

If you are upper middle class or above, as long as you don't "need" a 4000 sqft house, SoCal offers more things to do, and nicer weather to do them in.

South Texas + Houston is better if you are lower middle class or below, especially if you don't have at least a bachelors degree. There are a lot of blue collar jobs that don't require education in both places, but the COL is so much lower in Texas that you can still afford a house or condo while working those jobs, and live a more traditional middle class lifestyle. In SoCal, you are going to be doubled up in a crowded apartment with a long commute, while still living paycheck to paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 07:00 PM

9,872 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
This is a weird post. Houston isn't considered South Texas. South Texas is Corpus, Laredo, the Rio Grand Valley, and maybe San Antonio. Still, I'll include Houston since that is what the OP requested, and it is the city, along with LA that I've lived in the longest.

I looked through the categories the OP listed, and SoCal win all of them. Some of them like weather and natural scenery, SoCal crushes South Texas + Houston. Some of them like food, SoCal still wins in my book, but South Texas + Houston is very close.

In my opinion, SoCal offers more, but it comes at a price.

If you are upper middle class or above, as long as you don't "need" a 4000 sqft house, SoCal offers more things to do, and nicer weather to do them in.

South Texas + Houston is better if you are lower middle class or below, especially if you don't have at least a bachelors degree. There are a lot of blue collar jobs that don't require education in both places, but the COL is so much lower in Texas that you can still afford a house or condo while working those jobs, and live a more traditional middle class lifestyle. In SoCal, you are going to be doubled up in a crowded apartment with a long commute, while still living paycheck to paycheck.
Lots of times it is though. Morw times than not, it isn’t. But I’ve seen many times it is.

Also, the title doesn’t say South Texas. It says southern Texas. Houston and San Antonio are very close in latitude, so if we are saying southern Texas and not South Texas, Houston is easily included if San Antonio is.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:07 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
I looked through the categories the OP listed, and SoCal win all of them. Some of them like weather and natural scenery, SoCal crushes South Texas + Houston.
At least the Piney Woods are real!

I prefer L.A. over Vegas because it's not overwhelmingly brown, but the fake trees end up fueling the annual wildfires. To add insult to injury, when the winter rains come a few months later, mudslides ensue. I really appreciate the chaparral coastal scenery, but I would have to live inside the concrete jungle of the L.A. Basin to avoid fires touching my property.

Living on the Westside of Houston, I tend to ignore the coastal areas around Galveston and the huge Bay to the east. But Galveston Bay is pretty massive, like S.F. Bay, but it doesn't dominate the metro. Houston surprisingly is the only stretch of the Texas Gulf coast to have a large interruption of land between the bays.

Houston has the oddity of having the L.A. Basin (largest Pacific coastal plain) next to S.F. Bay. Also the San Jacinto River is the oddity of not going far inland, like the other Texas rivers.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I prefer L.A. over Vegas because it's not overwhelmingly brown, but the fake trees end up fueling the annual wildfires. To add insult to injury, when the winter rains come a few months later, mudslides ensue. I really appreciate the chaparral coastal scenery, but I would have to live inside the concrete jungle of the L.A. Basin to avoid fires touching my property.

Living on the Westside of Houston, I tend to ignore the coastal areas around Galveston and the huge Bay to the east. But Galveston Bay is pretty massive, like S.F. Bay, but it doesn't dominate the metro. Houston surprisingly is the only stretch of the Texas Gulf coast to have a large interruption of land between the bays.
I'm familiar with Galveston Bay. I lived a few miles from the bay in far SE Houston. Actually, I guess I lived even closer when lived for a few years in Galveston in my 20's. I'm not saying Houston/Galveston is the ugliest natural environment in the world (that would be Dallas), though the refineries and petrochemical plants weigh against it, especially along 225, Texas City, Freeport, and Baytown. The silty water from all that rain that keeps the vegetation green leaves the Bay and Gulf filled with brown water and brownish grey dirt/sand. Not exactly picture perfect, but I've had a lot of fun at the beaches there, and at least there are less oil/tar balls on the beaches now than when I was a kid. I like the oaks near the bayous draped with Spanish Moss, and I like the green, but not as much as I like more sunny days.

As for your points about fire hazards in SoCal, I agree. That's one thing I like about living in the basin is not having to worry much about fires, with the exception of this year when we had a couple of weeks of really bad air quality from all the smoke blowing in. Still, it's not all concrete jungle. Most of us with houses have a nice green (and blue with pools) backyard oasis.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:09 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Lots of times it is though. Morw times than not, it isn’t. But I’ve seen many times it is.

Also, the title doesn’t say South Texas. It says southern Texas. Houston and San Antonio are very close in latitude, so if we are saying southern Texas and not South Texas, Houston is easily included if San Antonio is.
well the OP kind of contradicted himself or herself potentially because in the thread title it says Southern Texas including Houston but in the poll it says South Texas.Sorry for being too pedantic but South Texas is different than Southern Texas to some people so they are not universally considered the same.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:06 AM

9,872 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
well the OP kind of contradicted himself or herself potentially because in the thread title it says Southern Texas including Houston but in the poll it says South Texas.Sorry for being too pedantic but South Texas is different than Southern Texas to some people so they are not universally considered the same.
According to Wikipedia, South Texas doesn’t include Houston. But according to the general public it is pretty much 50-50. Period South Texas school of Law or example is in Houston

Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
According to Wikipedia, South Texas doesn’t include Houston. But according to the general public it is pretty much 50-50. Period South Texas school of Law or example is in Houston
Good point.Fair enough.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:36 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
I'm familiar with Galveston Bay. I lived a few miles from the bay in far SE Houston. Actually, I guess I lived even closer when lived for a few years in Galveston in my 20's. I'm not saying Houston/Galveston is the ugliest natural environment in the world (that would be Dallas), though the refineries and petrochemical plants weigh against it, especially along 225, Texas City, Freeport, and Baytown. The silty water from all that rain that keeps the vegetation green leaves the Bay and Gulf filled with brown water and brownish grey dirt/sand. Not exactly picture perfect, but I've had a lot of fun at the beaches there, and at least there are less oil/tar balls on the beaches now than when I was a kid. I like the oaks near the bayous draped with Spanish Moss, and I like the green, but not as much as I like more sunny days.

As for your points about fire hazards in SoCal, I agree. That's one thing I like about living in the basin is not having to worry much about fires, with the exception of this year when we had a couple of weeks of really bad air quality from all the smoke blowing in. Still, it's not all concrete jungle. Most of us with houses have a nice green (and blue with pools) backyard oasis.
More sunny days--just not during the summer!!! The winter sunshine is always beautiful every year; one of the benefits of being in the southern latitudes. Last week it was pretty cool, now it's like a Northern summer.

London's East End was as ugly as Houston's Eastside because of the port. It's being gentrified, but is still a busy working port! San Pedro is the only area suffering from blight due to the port. Sad to see Long Beach being targeted in the riots earlier after being revitalized for the last decade!

Wildfires in SoCal--nobody bats an eye. Wildfire in Montgomery County is highly unusual that it becomes a top story on the local news.

This happened in East Montgomery County earlier this week: https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...eveland-areas/

Oddly, no homes were burned down. There is no fire season here in Texas, probably a trash burning accident or something like a campfire not being completely extinguished.

The only time there is smoke around Houston, it usually comes from agricultural fires in Southern México. This has not occurred in several years. I can't imagine having to deal with it yearly!

Looking at the satellite view of Google Maps (and turning off the labels), L.A.'s sprawl is very clear that you can make out the freeways. By comparison, Houston is pretty hard to decipher through the forests.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
More sunny days--just not during the summer!!! The winter sunshine is always beautiful every year; one of the benefits of being in the southern latitudes. Last week it was pretty cool, now it's like a Northern summer.
You can get some nice days in Winter in Houston, but it isn't very sunny. Jun-October are the only months in Houston with >60% possible sunshine. Winter is actually the cloudiest time of year, with less than 50% possible sunshine in Dec and Jan. I remember one winter in Galveston where I went almost 3 weeks without seeing the sun due to constant overcast conditions. When I was complaining to some family in Houston about it, they told me they had had a couple of werks of clouds too, but by that time they were burning off by afternoon. I guess California isn't the only place with microclimates.

LA is greater than 80% possible sunshine in the summer, and only drops below 70% possible in May an June. The rest of the year it's between 70 and 80% possible sunshine. The tradeoff is the greeness and wild fire risk.

Quote:
The only time there is smoke around Houston, it usually comes from agricultural fires in Southern México. This has not occurred in several years. I can't imagine having to deal with it yearly!
Yeah, I remember a bad week of that smoke from fires in the Yucatan when I was in High School. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with wild fire smoke on annual basis either. This was the first bad year in LA in over a decade. Sure, there are fires annually, but it requires a rare combination of big fires that are close to the city with offshore winds to bring smoke from them into LA.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:19 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Agreed, but this isn't real life. It's the "city vs city" section of a city-oriented website. I'd say that the people that post in this section usually care.
I believe those in real life care about urbanity as well, I mean not to this degree, but it's important to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City