Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your opinion on these places?
I see a bright future for all of the above 50 75.76%
I do not see a bright future at all for any of them 6 9.09%
Other option (I'll explain in a post) 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times

Advertisements

I think it's simple to say that some of these cities are doing the best right now, many of them have experienced dramatical growth (economically & diversity) in recent times and are poised to continue for a bit longer.

If you notice all of these cities are state capitals (besides Portland & Seattle) and a lot of them are the flagship location for a major university. And nearly all of them are major players in the future tech scene.

So based off your own perception for all of these cities as a group (together) can you say that they have a bright future ahead of them?
If not which ones do you think are having some trouble right now, please give reasoning to your answer and try to provide proof for it.

Also as a side note, keep it civil, keep it on track, I don't want this turning into another "bu bu but they have so and so amount of land to grow in" I don't really care, that is not the topic, if you want to talk about other things make your own thread please, keep your infestation out of my thread.
Also lets keep the conversation to just these cities, if you want to bring in a city that is not
Seattle, Austin, Denver, Portland, Sacramento, Columbus, Indianapolis, & Hartford than only do it strictly as an example of how those cities came to be by similar growth patterns.

Answer the question in bold, and try to only keep it to the cities in bold.
__________________________________________________ ____________

My answer:
Yes, I see all of these cities having a bright future. The only two that could worry me are Portland & Sacramento, they need to get things to go more smoothly, they have a very high unemployment rate presently, but they can make a strong comeback so I'm leaving it as is for the moment.

Last edited by DANNYY; 08-12-2010 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Forgot reasoning for Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,639 times
I see Seattle and Austin having bright futures. Both have real good education, and, especially Austin, are getting more meaningful exposure(not just on "Best Places to Live" lists). Next I would say Denver. I think it will be okay, don't know much about it's economic situation right now, but it seems like it will grow even bigger. The one that worries me is Columbus. Columbus has a very bright future ahead of itself, but it's in a state that was crumpled in the recession. It is doing the best out of the other cities in it's state, but I just hope it can maintain it's growth and appeal. The rest I see doing pretty well too.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 PM

36 posts, read 93,464 times
In your list each city has a sort of twin, and I think they shape up this way:

Portland and Seattle: How long can you sustain consistent growth with such a high cost of living? Other cheaper and lower-taxed cities like Denver and Boise will start to draw businesses and residents and I don't see how Seattle and Portland can continue to grow and thrive, especially given the current economic circumstances.

Sacramento: I have no idea. It has always struck me as a brighter spot in an otherwise economically bleak state.

Denver: The outlook here is mixed. Denver's economy and real estate has been in the tank since 2001 and though the state is generally low-tax and pro-business, it will never be a sophisticated hotspot like Seattle or Portland. Being a cowtown didn't stop growth in the 90s, though, and it won't stop it now.

Austin: Safe in the heart of Texas, being the capitol of a thriving southern state is serendipitous for an otherwise overrated city.

Colombus and Indy: These truly are the brightspot in the midwest and will continue to be so.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
In your list each city has a sort of twin, and I think they shape up this way:

Portland and Seattle: How long can you sustain consistent growth with such a high cost of living? Other cheaper and lower-taxed cities like Denver and Boise will start to draw businesses and residents and I don't see how Seattle and Portland can continue to grow and thrive, especially given the current economic circumstances.
I agree about Portland but not Seattle. Seattle may be a very expensive city but economically it is flourishing. It has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country and it is one of the faster growing cities in the country as well.
They do have to start paying more attention to infrastructure though, public transportation needs to become more of a priority there.

Portland has seen better days and can hopefully rebound from its economic crisis before it is left too far off from Seattle's radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
Sacramento: I have no idea. It has always struck me as a brighter spot in an otherwise economically bleak state.
I'm one of the few people who do see California making a rebound, maybe not now and maybe not anytime in the first half of this decade. But when it does I do see Sacramento being a major player in California's growing economy as with the rest of Northern California which is growing in overall prominence more as the years go by. It's also one of the most affordable major cities in California and that can be a major plus for them. Don't know though.

Quote:
Denver: The outlook here is mixed. Denver's economy and real estate has been in the tank since 2001 and though the state is generally low-tax and pro-business, it will never be a sophisticated hotspot like Seattle or Portland. Being a cowtown didn't stop growth in the 90s, though, and it won't stop it now.
Denver is in one of the most pro-business states in the country and one of the most tax relived states in the country. Denver has exponentially proven to be a major relocation place this decade and has grown quite smoothly at that. I see it having one of the brightest futures of the cities on the list.
Denver has a better shot than Portland, I can tell you that much. Portland views business as more of a toxic way that "do it yourself" attitude will hold them back quite a bit from flourishing like the rest of the cities here, IMO.

Quote:
Austin: Safe in the heart of Texas, being the capitol of a thriving southern state is serendipitous for an otherwise overrated city.
Austin, IMO has the brightest future of all the cities here with maybe a tie with Seattle. It is a hotbed for tech relocation, and it's pro-business environment along with the tax levels within the state will keep it afloat. Austin also happens to be the most aesthetically pleasing city in Texas, and also a prime real estate investment for many. It has a lot of companies continuing to show signs of interest when it comes to moving there. Facebook got an office there in March, their first office outside of California, and a lot of other companies like that have done the same. Along with the fact that it has one of THE healthiest economies in the country.

Quote:
Colombus and Indy: These truly are the brightspot in the midwest and will continue to be so.
Agreed. Columbus and Indianapolis despite having a reasonable level of growth fared quite nicely and are transitioning to become very strong economic powers for the Midwest.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,956 times
I think most of the cities mentioned in this thread could expect "reasonably" bright futures ...

Hartford, though ... I wouldn't expect too much to happen there.

Denver is one of those "Boom -n- Bust" cities that seems to always bounce back.

Sacramento is growing at a good pace, attracting many "SoCal residents" who desire a bit of a more relaxed and less "gridlocked" way of living.

Seattle, I feel can go either way ... just a strong feeling that I have about that city.

Columbus, while prospering and appealing to the masses for relocation and employment opportunities, "should be concerned and focused on maintaining
the strong momentum that it has developed" ... Being in Ohio could prove to be important in the future of Columbus' continued prosperity.
Ohio is not "DEAD" as many would have you believe, but it is considered a "rust belt" state and it does struggle with a level of population exodus and stagnant growth in various regions.

Indianapolis is also growing at a healthy rate, but it's overall location may ultimately become it's doom. "Indiana isn't too widely known to be attracting hordes
of new residents". In defense of Indianapolis though, because it is a capitol city like Columbus, it should fare well above most peoples expectations. As in Columbus' example, the actual "state" could ultimately affect future growth to an extent.

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 08-13-2010 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
I would think Seattle, Denver, Austin and Columbus have the best future but all may prosper. Most of the others are overshawdowed by other cities and get both the good and bad associated with that.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM

222 posts, read 579,277 times
I think all are becomming inovative accept for harford I dont know too much about it.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy Columbus View Post
harford I dont know too much about it.
Becoming a hotbed for tech companies. Really nice economy thats just building upon itself more. It's not Austin & Seattle when it comes to tech but its pretty high up there along with Omaha.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:08 AM

404 posts, read 1,031,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post

Austin, IMO has the brightest future of all the cities here with maybe a tie with Seattle. It is a hotbed for tech relocation, and it's pro-business environment along with the tax levels within the state will keep it afloat.
Relocation, maybe. But if you look at the companies in the Seattle area, they bring in a lot more revenue and are a lot bigger than those in Austin.

I went to Austin over the summer and I couldn't see what people found so amazing about it. It does not look any different than any other bigger city in Texas. Huge billboards, old buildings falling apart, trash on the sidewalks, graffiti...the list goes on and on.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,272 times
Thumbs up Future of cities

As a resident of Hartford and a small business owner who is interested in the future of my city, I can speak to the future of Hartford. It is looking very bright. With a strong and steady job market that includes many giant insurance companies, and many financial and other high tech companies like United Technologies and all its subsidiaries plus a strong biomedical research, universities, hospitals, and transportation sector, Hartford has done very well in these tough times. The city is investing heavily to attract more businesses and residents to its downtown area. Many multi billion dollar projects have recently been completed along the River Front and many others to improve transit, and a more pedestrian friendly atmosphere are underway now. I see Hartford strongly positioning itself as a significant player in the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City