Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times

Advertisements

^ Man, you just made me hungry as hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I strongly disagree. Can you tell me what differentiates a NY hotdog from a standard hot dog on a bun?
I can. A typical NY style hot dog is grilled, not boiled. Like Nathan's, or any of the "papayas" (Gray's papaya, papaya king, etc.). Also, it typically has to have mustard, usually sauerkraut, often the red-sauced hot-dog onions, and sometimes relish. The taste and texture of the grilled hot dog is important in a NY hot dog.

"Dirty water dogs" are the boiled ones all over the city - they are not "the NY style hot dog" even though they are often identified with NYC. Sabrett is the most famous dirty water dog and they are from the NY metro area (actually from NJ!), plus there are so many of these vendors all over NY, but technically that's not the "NY style hot dog".

Jersey style is as you described. Jersey's "all the way" dogs are deep fried and loaded w/ that greek-style "chili", chopped raw onion, and mustard. L.A. style is grilled with chili and cheese, like Pink's or Carney's. In the Midwest and upstate NY they have coneys, with chili (Cincinnati style) and mustard and cheese. In Vancouver they put sushi seaweed and Japanese mayo/wasabi and teriyaki sauce on hot dogs (Japadog).

But I agree that nothing beats the Jersey styles - Hiram's and Hot Grill are my favorites.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 08-17-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 PM

^ The man knows his hotdogs.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Small little Gyros joints (not "Greek Restaurants" - greasy ass gyros joints that also serve food like hamburgers, fries, chicken wings and mozzarella cheese sticks) are all over the city and suburbs of Chicago. I don't doubt that you can get gyros in New York but trust me, it's not the same.
NY's gyros are as good as Chicago's and just as ubiquitous. We don't have to go to "Greek Restaurants" - there are plenty of "greasy ass gyros joints that also serve food like hamburgers, fries, chicken wings and mozzarella cheese sticks" all over NY (and NJ), not to mention the many Halal carts and trucks throughout the city. While in Chicago they are all called "gyro" because of the huge Greek population, in NY they are also called "shawarma" because many of the places that make them are Arabic. It's the same thing, the name depends on whether Greek (gyro) or Arabic (shawarma) or Turkish (doner).

If you ever go to NYC, try Astoria (Queens) for great Gyros and Greek food in general, or for ""greasy ass gyros joints" try MacDougal St. or any of the Halal carts throughout the city (especially midtown).

Also in NY the Halal carts serve lamb or chicken gyro/shawarma meat over rice with a delicious white sauce, something I have not seen in Chicago or anywhere else.

Not to mention that the NY metro is inclusive of the nationally renowned Grease Trucks at Rutgers U., birthplace and home of the "Fat" sandwiches.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ The man knows his hotdogs.
I am a hot dog FIEND!!! I love 'em....

Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I am a hot dog FIEND!!! I love 'em....
I hear you man lol, me too.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
NY's gyros are as good as Chicago's and just as ubiquitous. We don't have to go to "Greek Restaurants" - there are plenty of "greasy ass gyros joints that also serve food like hamburgers, fries, chicken wings and mozzarella cheese sticks" all over NY (and NJ), not to mention the many Halal carts and trucks throughout the city. While in Chicago they are all called "gyro" because of the huge Greek population, in NY they are also called "shawarma" because many of the places that make them are Arabic. It's the same thing, the name depends on whether Greek (gyro) or Arabic (shawarma) or Turkish (doner).

If you ever go to NYC, try Astoria (Queens) for great Gyros and Greek food in general, or for ""greasy ass gyros joints" try MacDougal St. or any of the Halal carts throughout the city (especially midtown).

Also in NY the Halal carts serve lamb or chicken gyro/shawarma meat over rice with a delicious white sauce, something I have not seen in Chicago or anywhere else.

Not to mention that the NY metro is inclusive of the nationally renowned Grease Trucks at Rutgers U., birthplace and home of the "Fat" sandwiches.
Those things are killer! Talk about heart attack on a bun but it's soooo good.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:

Shawarma (or shwarma or shwerma, depending on who you ask) is just a general term for meat stacked and broiled on a vertical spit. Generically speaking, "shawarma" can be just any kind of meat and any type of spice. Even a couple of the Mexican restaurants call their al pastor cone "shawarma." What separates gyro from other types of shawarma is its distinct flavor imparted by the spices used and, at least as applies here, the use of beef and lamb.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Shawarma (or shwarma or shwerma, depending on who you ask) is just a general term for meat stacked and broiled on a vertical spit. Generically speaking, "shawarma" can be just any kind of meat and any type of spice. Even a couple of the Mexican restaurants call their al pastor cone "shawarma." What separates gyro from other types of shawarma is its distinct flavor imparted by the spices used and, at least as applies here, the use of beef and lamb.
Shawarma doesn't mean "stacked", it is the name of the type of sandwich made in the middle east from meat that is roasted by turning on a spit. "Gyro" means "turn" in Greek, and "Doner" means "turn" in turkish. They both refer to their respective versions of shawarma.

Gyro and shawarma are the same exact thing. Nothing distinguishes one from another except for language. The variation amongst gyros and shawarmas has more to do with whoever makes each one - it has nothing to do with what they're called, really.

It's similar to how tzatziki and jajik are the same yogurt/cucumber sauce - one is just the Greek name and one is the Arabic name, but it's the same thing. If one person puts more garlic in than another, it's an individual variation, not a difference because of the name/nationality, though.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 PM

156 posts, read 378,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
those lists are pretty garbage, the restaurants named aren't even what I would call good, there in a downtown touristy area. The best I go to is this place where the cabbies go. Devon area is very non yuppy so I doubt you'd see it on the list. It is where real indians/pakistanis eat. You will not see all that many white folks in there.

My taste buds and well traveled indian friends generally concur Chicago Devon area is the best in terms of "the real deal" for the full experience not just some random restaurants.

As far in terms of NYC, it is definitely the best restaurant city in the US so probably has more of, and often better spots than anywhere. Was never arguing that, but you said Indian was a weakness of Chicago, when clearly it is one of its strong points actually.

Chicago can definitely go toe to toe though in terms of cuisine, no doubt in my mind. I love them both.

If you want to go by lists from actual food critics, Chicago has the current #1 restaurant in all of north america.

Alinea Restaurant, Chicago, USA | The World

It is hard to find "real" weaknesses in nyc or chicago on pretty much anything though when compared with other cities, they are 2 foodie powerhouses.
Compared to NYC, Chicago Indian food is weak. Which applies to any cuisines other than Chicago's usual suspect cuisines -> which should be the best in the nation. But if you compare Chicago to 95% cities in the US, then that weakness would be gone. Same with NYC Mexican food, compared to Chicago, it's weak. But against 75% cities in the US, it's not.

I agree with your last statement. Wholeheartedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City