Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, I have never seen an episode.

Looks just as cheesy as Baywatch with as bad acting as in CSI Miami.

how do you people remember those things? Like the people who say they still watch the TV show Dallas
I'm old enough to remember how Miami Vice revolutionized television back then. It was the first TV show with anywhere near that much violence. It was the first show to have popular contemporary music being played on it or to frequently feature top of the line sports cars and boats. As cheesy as those clothes look now they had everybody dressing like them back in the earlier 80's. Much of the show looked and felt like a music video and that was the first TV show ever shot that way (Music videos were a new thing back then.) It was the ultimate cool show back then and everybody I knew watched it.

Hey! How did this thread get on Miami Vice?

Last edited by Galounger; 08-31-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 11:18 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I'm old enough to remember how Miami Vice revolutionized television back then. It was the first TV show with anywhere near that much violence it was the first show to have popular contemporary music being played on it. As cheesy as those clothes looked now they had everybody dressing like them back in the earlier 80's. Much of the show looked and felt like a music video and that was the first TV show ever shot that way (Music videos were a new thing back then.) It was the ultimate cool show back then and everybody I knew watched it.

Miami Vice had a huge impact on the image of Miami back then. Like anything else, the reality and what is entertainment are totally different things. But I will give credit to that show steering the image of Miami away from "God's Waiting Room" to "Glitzy and Contemporary with a hint of danger". It wasn't until the 1990's when it went into full swing though.

Also, not as many people had cable back then as they do now, so more people were watching these types of shows.

Media and entertainment have a huge impact on imagery and perception. You wouldn't believe the amount of idiotic questions I get when I'm in other parts of the country and I tell them I live in Atlanta due to what they hear or see on TV.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
if your opinion is that it is closer to suburban then you clearly don't know the meaning of the two
And I will respond that if your opinion is that it is closer to urban then you clearly don't know the meaning of the two.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
i think kidphilly opened a thread that asked this question. cause Houston's galleria seems to be in between suburbs and urban. even though there's a suburban feel to it... it's not entirely classifiable as a suburb. and one major factor in this case would be because it actually is not a suburb but Houston itself.

either way, I think this part of Houston isn't quite classifiable, as are other areas around the nation that are comparable.
I didn't say it was a suburb in Houston. I said it would be a suburb if it was in other parts of the country. If this was placed in the Baltimore metro area, it would easily be a suburb. Edge City ( like Addison in Dallas), but a suburb nonetheless.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I'm old enough to remember how Miami Vice revolutionized television back then. It was the first TV show with anywhere near that much violence. It was the first show to have popular contemporary music being played on it or to frequently feature top of the line sports cars and boats. As cheesy as those clothes look now they had everybody dressing like them back in the earlier 80's. Much of the show looked and felt like a music video and that was the first TV show ever shot that way (Music videos were a new thing back then.) It was the ultimate cool show back then and everybody I knew watched it.

lol, I can't image the clothes or that show being cool. my god, its a good thing I don't wear popular fads. There won't be any pictures of me wearing any funny nonsense.

BTW, why is everyone wearing fake, black thick rimmed glasses nowadays?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
lol, I can't image the clothes or that show being cool. my god, its a good thing I don't wear popular fads. There won't be any pictures of me wearing any funny nonsense.

BTW, why is everyone wearing fake, black thick rimmed glasses nowadays?

They provide a false sense of enhanced urbanity, dont see anyone with them up here, maybe they aren't required

Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
dont see anyone with them up here, maybe they aren't required

I don't see them here either, but the peeps on tv are wearing them.

The Jonas kids rocks them, so do the kids on the real world and other reality shows.

I don't expect you to notice them at your age

The blacker kid on the RW is always wearing them, and I think he is from your neck of the woods

Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I don't see them here either, but the peeps on tv are wearing them.

The Jonas kids rocks them, so do the kids on the real world and other reality shows.

I don't expect you to notice them at your age

The blacker kid on the RW is always wearing them, and I think he is from your neck of the woods

Do they come in bifocals?

what is RW

and btw HTown, my reply was good, better than yours

Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
what is RW

RW= Real World

watch it 2morrow night on the ten spot.

There is this little blonde dude from Arizona. He is a hairdresser, he says he is straight, but he gets jealous when the gay guy brings over other guys, he steals prescription drugs, jumps the walls at night to go get drugs. He cooked a fish right out of the aquarium and ate it. he is a real philly type guy. That is what being confined in small spaces get ya. A looney trip. Makes you start watching kooky shows liek Miami vice and start wearing glasses even though you can see

Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
RW= Real World

watch it 2morrow night on the ten spot.

nah I have a bowling date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City