Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 AM

396 posts, read 601,494 times

Advertisements

^definitely a good point, but making the same comparison today, almost all gridded cities in the west/sw (houston included) are notably denser than atlanta. your european, etc examples might not be gridded, but they have far more street inter-connectivity (like boston) than much of atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Thanks. That was the point I was trying to make. BTW, I think you did care a little...that's why you posted it.
Your point was to point out who cares the least the most? Okay.

Also, if you followed my previous posts in the thread you would see that I purposely posted that to start an "argument".

And, well it seemed to work.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
Your point was to point out who cares the least the most? Okay.

Also, if you followed my previous posts in the thread you would see that I purposely posted that to start an "argument".

And, well it seemed to work.
We call them trolls. Have a great day.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
^definitely a good point, but making the same comparison today, almost all gridded cities in the west/sw (houston included) are notably denser than atlanta. your european, etc examples might not be gridded, but they have far more street inter-connectivity (like boston) than much of atlanta.

I kinda like grids. I didn't really mind London not having a propper grid because driving in London is nuts anyway.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Just to nitpick, but there is no correlation between density and a street grid. Plenty of cities around the world don't have one. Just look at London, Rome, Tokyo, Manila, or Mumbai on Google Maps. Not a grid in sight (or it's just relegated to a single neighborhood) and they are some of the densest cities in the world.
Maybe not worldwide, but in the U.S. most gridded cities are denser than those that aren't (exception of Boston). If you look at it from a planning POV, grids actually promote density even though they don't necessarily produce it. From an engineering POV, grids make it moving high concentrations of people much easier from one place to the next which makes it more sensible for planners to put more people in a gridded area. Grids in U.S. cities do correlate (with the exception of Boston) with fewer freeway lanes and a more efficient system. The average freeways in L.A., Houston, and Dallas are 4 lanes per side.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Maybe not worldwide, but in the U.S. most gridded cities are denser than those that aren't (exception of Boston). If you look at it from a planning POV, grids actually promote density even though they don't necessarily produce it. From an engineering POV, grids make it moving high concentrations of people much easier from one place to the next which makes it more sensible for planners to put more people in a gridded area. Grids in U.S. cities do correlate (with the exception of Boston) with fewer freeway lanes and a more efficient system. The average freeways in L.A., Houston, and Dallas are 4 lanes per side.
That would make more sense if it weren't for the fact that Boston and Atlanta are the only two big cities in America not on a grid. Not to mention that last time I checked, L.A. was on a grid and it has a very hard time moving high concentrations of people anywhere.

Basically all I'm saying is that people are attributing the benefits of a grid to the incorrect subjects.

Last edited by waronxmas; 08-24-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
That would make more sense if it weren't for the fact that Boston and Atlanta are the only two big cities in America not on a grid.

Although it is not that major, San Antonio is not on a grid

Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
That would make more sense if it weren't for the fact that Boston and Atlanta are the only two big cities in America not on a grid. Not to mention that last time I checked, L.A. was on a grid and it has a very hard time moving high concentrations of people anywhere.
That's why I said "grids actually promote density even though they don't necessarily produce it." As pointed out by cabasse, notice that the dense cities that aren't on a grid still have more heavily connected street system.

Basically all I'm saying is that people are attributing the benefits of a grid to the incorrect subjects.[/quote]

L.A.'s problem is the shear amount of people, it's size, and the amount of transit compared to the area. Now just imagine how moving around there would be without a grid. Even then L.A. still gets away without having 12+ lane freeways all over the place.

Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are comparable in size. Compare moving around the first two to moving around the last. Look at the number of Alternates available to move from one end of each metro to the other or just through town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
San Antonio is roughly gridded.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

San Antonio is roughly gridded.

lol, with Rough being the key word.

Youshould see how the geniuses who construct the roads there are narrowing the highways. why would anyone take a three lane highway and make it into two?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Neither is Pittsburgh (probably the LEAST-gridded city in America!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City