Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

3 Schools: I know that the public school system in DC isn't really the best, so Dallas would probably win out here. DC, however, would win out in higher education.
That may be true of DC schools, but Montgomery and Fairfax counties have some of the best public schools in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You sure about that? The Dallas area is one of the largest centers for IT and telecom businesses in the country.

Outside the Bay Area, DC has more IT related jobs than anywhere in the country.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
DC wins in IT but Dallas is no slouch.
Dallas wins in telecom.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:42 PM

1. Jobs/economy... Information Techonology: Washington DC

2. Housing prices: Dallas (by a long shot)

3 Schools: I dont know enough about DFW school system, but outside the District the public schools are very good in DC.

4 Weather: I prefer DC, you will get 4 seasons. Some may prefer Dallas.

5 Low crime rate: like others have stated, it depends on where you live. If you dont have a crack habit, you'll probably avoid most of the crime in DC

6 Love travelling... so should have some travel hubs close by: DC

7.Transportation: DC

If you can afford to live in Washington, DC this one is a no brainer, IMO, however, you will get more house for your money in Dallas.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
DC wins in IT but Dallas is no slouch.
Dallas wins in telecom.
I re looked and I got IT and Telecom confused.

DC is indeed bigger IT. Dallas is bigger in Telecom. You had it right.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post

3 Schools: I dont know enough about DFW school system, but outside the District the public schools are very good in DC.

5 Low crime rate: like others have stated, it depends on where you live. If you dont have a crack habit, you'll probably avoid most of the crime in DC

If you can afford to live in Washington, DC this one is a no brainer, IMO, however, you will get more house for your money in Dallas.
Dont know if you knew but DFW is the 7th busiest airport in the world. You can fly to many places in Europe, South America, Asia, and domestically from DFW or DC. That should be a non issue.

For IT jobs, DC looks like it would be better, but I dont know that the overall economy in DC is much better (or better at all). It seems like both DC and DFW are doing better than most in this economy.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dont know if you knew but DFW is the 7th busiest airport in the world. You can fly to many places in Europe, South America, Asia, and domestically from DFW or DC. That should be a non issue.

For IT jobs, DC looks like it would be better, but I dont know that the overall economy in DC is much better (or better at all). It seems like both DC and DFW are doing better than most in this economy.
Of course DFW is a busy airport, in 2010, if you live in a major metro, you should have easy airport access, my pick of DC was more so related to proximity to other large metro areas.

Surely DC and DFW are two of the fastest growing economies in the country and somebody looking for a new job would be wise to put these metros at the top of their list

Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
You will get four seasons in Dallas. But their winters are less harsher than DC. However, Dallas can get pretty cold and while they may not get snow every year, ice is not out of the question.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
That may be true of DC schools, but Montgomery and Fairfax counties have some of the best public schools in the country.
Very true, but then cost becomes even more of a factor.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:

DC crime isnt all drug fueled....if you stay out the wrong neighborhood then you will be fine....several instances take place just for being innocent in the wrong area which is why I havent really seen all of D.C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City