Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
EVERYWHERE in Florida is hurricane prone. You suggested the most hurricane prone state in this country. Like I said, I do not see the logic in that.
Found this stat on an Answer site: "In the last 150 years, Orlando has not even come close to a category 4 or 5 hurricane. In the last 48½ years, Orlando has not been hit by anything stronger than a category 2 hurricane, which was hurricane Donna in 1960."

Sure seems like you're the one who doesn't understand logic. Just take a look at the difference in home insurance rates between Orlando and say Naples, pretty shocking. Using you "logic", the Carolinas would be out because there is a chance of an earthquake, even though it's very very rare like a hurricane in Orlando.

Read more: Has Orlando ever been hit by a hurricane? | Answerbag Has Orlando ever been hit by a hurricane? | Answerbag
Quote:
And just to add something else, ALL the NCAA college hockey teams are in the midwest and northeast.
I don't watch college sports. Also, your links were for the NHL only, not IHL, AHL, NCAA, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 06:37 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
North Carolina can and does have hurricanes (yes, even in Raleigh and Charlotte) and Oregon can have earthquakes. While there is hockey in NC and we have had Lord Stanley's Cup here, the hockey culture is nowhere near as prevalent as in the NE, midwest, etc... Another poster raised a good point about being able to skate outside...a frozen pond here in winter is nothing but a death trap as the ice is thin!

I haven't seen Colorado's Front Range cities mentioned. The COL is quite reasonable, especially just outside the core Denver area, the scenery is fantastic and the climate quite desirable. There are many midwest transplants so the OP would likely feel very at home, and there is plenty of hockey there. I would recommend areas around Loveland and Fort Collins for excellent schools and a family friendly environment. This would put you about an hour from DIA with direct flights all over the country, which would make your husband's monthly office trips pretty convenient.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
North Carolina can and does have hurricanes (yes, even in Raleigh and Charlotte) and Oregon can have earthquakes. While there is hockey in NC and we have had Lord Stanley's Cup here, the hockey culture is nowhere near as prevalent as in the NE, midwest, etc... Another poster raised a good point about being able to skate outside...a frozen pond here in winter is nothing but a death trap as the ice is thin!

I haven't seen Colorado's Front Range cities mentioned. The COL is quite reasonable, especially just outside the core Denver area, the scenery is fantastic and the climate quite desirable. There are many midwest transplants so the OP would likely feel very at home, and there is plenty of hockey there. I would recommend areas around Loveland and Fort Collins for excellent schools and a family friendly environment. This would put you about an hour from DIA with direct flights all over the country, which would make your husband's monthly office trips pretty convenient.
Exactly...I'm glad someone understands what i'm saying. It's pretty much common sense.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
North Carolina can and does have hurricanes (yes, even in Raleigh and Charlotte)
Hugo was an anomaly. While Hugo did prove that a hurricane can come through Charlotte, I wouldn't label Charlotte "hurricane prone."

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Why are you even suggesting Florida when they said "not hurricane prone"? that makes absolutely no sense.

And they aren't looking for somewhere to play hockey. They're looking for somewhere for their son to get better. Not just any ordinary casual boys league. I often go to the Everblades arena, and there really isn't even any postings for camps. They need to go NORTH for this. How many hockey players in the NHL do you see that are from the south? Maybe 2% of them?
How many Hurricanes have hit Tampa? Tallahassee?Orlando?Florida is a big state you know?Hurricanes do not hit everywhere in Floridda.It it were Miami;then no I would say.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:01 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How many Hurricanes have hit Tampa? Tallahassee?Orlando?Florida is a big state you know?Hurricanes do not hit everywhere in Floridda.It it were Miami;then no I would say.
True. For instance, even though Jacksonville is a short distance from the coast, it's somewhat shielded from hurricanes due to that slight inward bend of the coastline.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Exactly...I'm glad someone understands what i'm saying. It's pretty much common sense.
No, it's not.

Your hatred of everything Southern is once again causing you to dispense bad information. Just because YOU have issues with the region, does not mean others can't look beyond the stereotypes. You are not helping the OP at all with all of the missinformation you keep spewing about a lack of hockey culture anywhere other than the Northeast & Midwest.

Suburban Atlanta indeed has a thriving hockey culture, including High School teams. Besides the NHL Thrashers, the ECHL Gwinnett Gladiators also call the area home.

A metro that hosts two professional teams is of course going to have a hockey culture, frozen ponds or not.

IceForum Hockey Association

Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, it's not.

Your hatred of everything Southern is once again causing you to dispense bad information. Just because YOU have issues with the region, does not mean others can't look beyond the stereotypes. You are not helping the OP at all with all of the missinformation you keep spewing about a lack of hockey culture anywhere other than the Northeast & Midwest.

Suburban Atlanta indeed has a thriving hockey culture, including High School teams. Besides the NHL Thrashers, the ECHL Gwinnett Gladiators also call the area home.

A metro that hosts two professional teams is of course going to have a hockey culture, frozen ponds or not.

IceForum Hockey Association

I always wondered how the college I'm attending for Graduate School has a hockey team, and still debates on whether or not to have a football team. And it's deep in the heart of suburban Atlanta.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I always wondered how the college I'm attending for Graduate School has a hockey team, and still debates on whether or not to have a football team. And it's deep in the heart of suburban Atlanta.
LOL! Thank you.

Some of the myths being thrown around here are beyond ignorant.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! Thank you.

Some of the myths being thrown around here are beyond ignorant.
Like the myth that Orlando is hurricane prone. If by hurricane, she means what's left of one (a really bad rain storm) by the time it gets to Orlando then fine, we are prone. But I think she'll be singing a different tune when a Cat 3 or 4 is heading for Naples and everyone from there is scrambling to leave and get a hotel room on I-Drive in Orlando. Since after all, the evacuation routes lead to Orlando.

In the entire 150 years of recording hurricanes, only 1 serious hurricane has ever hit Orlando. If you add Charley, which did do some damage back in '04 but was only a weak Cat 2 when it went through Orlando, then that's 2 in the past 150 years. To act like the smaller ones are anything to worry about is to suggest one should live in fear. Honestly, most of the damage done in Charley was caused by micro-bursts (mini-tornadoes) & flooding, which as we know, can happen ANYWHERE without warning. At least in Orlando, we know for days when the bad weather is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City