Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:56 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Yep...Well, what I meant was that people might watch for 5-10 minutes just to get the weather, but that's it. Most people are outside their hotel rooms, then go to sleep right when they get to their hotel rooms. If someone is that intent on watching the local news where they are for an extended amount of time, they should reconsider the places they visit.
No one said tourists watch the full hour + news show.. When I said ppl watch news while on vacation I meant 5-10 mins. In fact I think I said that in an earlier post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 05:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Yep...Well, what I meant was that people might watch for 5-10 minutes just to get the weather, but that's it. Most people are outside their hotel rooms, then go to sleep right when they get to their hotel rooms. If someone is that intent on watching the local news where they are for an extended amount of time, they should reconsider the places they visit.
What an absolutely arrogant and ignorant thing to say.

This post pretty much verifies that you aren't even remotely interested in anything you don't already have knowledge of.

How sad.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Like soneone else said, i think its interesting to watch the news shows of other cities that im visiting... After a long day out of your hotel room during vacation you don't relax in your hotel room and settle down before bed? How bout in the morning while your getting ready to go out? Maybe its just me but part of being on vacation is to relax, I don't spend 100% of it out and about, something about hotels are relaxing. That's what hotels are for. It also depends on what kind of hotel you go to but we won't get into that, off topic. But believe it or not tourists watch the local news..
I'm more interested in free HBO and stuff like that!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
West Palm Beach has it's own media market. As a matter of fact, West Palm Beach's News Stations server Jensen Beach, Port St. Lucie, and Fort Pierce(these are all cities an hour North of West Palm Beach). Fort Lauderdale get's everything from Miami. Palm Beach County is the "independent county" in the South Florida metro area, before 96' Palm Beach County was it's own metro area. I guess that's why it has it's own news station in contrast to Fort Lauderdale having to get theres from Miami, despite Fort Lauderdale and Broward County being bigger than Palm Beach County. I think SoFla is one of the rarest metro areas in the US where they actually have TWO separate media markets in the same metro. I know Greater LA probably has separate media markets in Los Angeles, than it does San Bernardino, Riverside, and the rest of the IE.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I don't think tourists are sitting in their hotel rooms watching the news. The newscasters really aren't even nationally known like the top 3 major cities.
I don't think the average Joe on the street can tell you who the newscasters of NYC, LA, or Chicago television stations are. Are they really nationally known?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Jane McDoogle?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Jane McDoogle?
Que?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
I usually catch the news in whatever city im in, mainly out of habit. Is there a such thing as over-saturation, meaning a station devoting too much time to news broadcast. Like for example is there really a purpose for a noon time news broadcast, or a 9pm broadcast?. How do smaller markets justify this?.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:31 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I know Greater LA probably has separate media markets in Los Angeles, than it does San Bernardino, Riverside, and the rest of the IE.
No.

San Bernardino and Riverside are a part of the LA TV market. There are radio stations that just serve the Inland Empire, but they get LA TV stations.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I know Greater LA probably has separate media markets in Los Angeles, than it does San Bernardino, Riverside, and the rest of the IE.
No, Los Angeles is one market. Orange County, Los Angeles County, Ventura County, and the Inland Empire all are under the Los Angeles media market. The Coachella Valley in Riverside County, home to Palm Springs, Palm Desert, etc... and around 400,000 people is its own media market. Several stations re-broadcast the Los Angeles news networks there though instead of having their own news.

Translator stations also get the major broadcasters like ABC7, CBS2, Fox11, etc... up into areas like Inyo County, Kern County (Bakersfield), out towards the Nevada border, etc... that are not part of the L.A. media market, but aren't populous enough to justify their own news/programming operations. Hence they rebroadcast out to these less populated areas. K02H-Y for example is a re-broadcaster that gets CBS2 out to the 30,000 people in rural Ridgecrest in Kern/Inyo County.

Cable and satellite providers even carry the L.A. stations all the way out in places like Bishop, CA that are 270 miles from L.A. because those areas have no major news networks of their own. However they are outside the broadcast area via communication towers and can only be brought to those rural areas via cable or satellite.

Last edited by missionhome; 08-28-2010 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City