Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times

Advertisements

Look like overall ,D.C. gets the nod this time.I also noticed that the cities that are ranked the highest,are education/research centers.Like Boston,D.C.,Atlanta,NYC etc...Which also correlates to less poverty.Does this list seem fair?Also look at the leaders individually in each category.

2010 Quality Of Life Major Markets - Interactive Features - Portfolio.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,309 times
Unless I'm not clicking on the right tab, I see Raleigh at #1 and DC at #2.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
My mistake.I was looking at the individual rankings.D.C. was number 1 in college educated populace.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
between the QOL and Fun Cities rankings, people will think Bridgeport is the next hot spot lol

Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
I think to determine QOL this list is pretty much trash.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Yet another #1 ranking for Raleigh.
That same day, I saw another poll of the most creative metros. Raleigh was 3rd in that one. If I can find it, I'll post the link to that one too. I think Austin was tops in that poll.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Look like overall ,D.C. gets the nod this time.I also noticed that the cities that are ranked the highest,are education/research centers.Like Boston,D.C.,Atlanta,NYC etc...Which also correlates to less poverty.Does this list seem fair?Also look at the leaders individually in each category.

2010 Quality Of Life Major Markets - Interactive Features - Portfolio.com
Another thread in city vs city as asked about markets that seem to be ignored. Well, given that Raleigh actually tops this poll and it's nowhere in the mix of this orginal post, I'll have to add Raleigh to the list of cities that get ignored. It's even funnier to me that the very wording highligted above is exactly why Raleigh tends to be at or near the top of list after list after list.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Another thread in city vs city as asked about markets that seem to be ignored. Well, given that Raleigh actually tops this poll and it's nowhere in the mix of this orginal post, I'll have to add Raleigh to the list of cities that get ignored. It's even funnier to me that the very wording highligted above is exactly why Raleigh tends to be at or near the top of list after list after list.
Well I agree.I did notice Raleigh I just don't see a city like Raleigh and Washington D.C in the same class.A person that WANTS to live in D.C. is not necessarily going to want to live in Raleigh or vice versa.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:03 PM

153 posts, read 381,788 times
Eyebrows were raised at how SJ and SF aren't closer to the top. Then saw the cost-of-living factor.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I agree.I did notice Raleigh I just don't see a city like Raleigh and Washington D.C in the same class.A person that WANTS to live in D.C. is not necessarily going to want to live in Raleigh or vice versa.
Both assertions are absolutely not supported by data. Fairfax Co. VA (DC Metro) provides the largest number of out-of-state migrants to Wake Co. (Raleigh's County) than any other county in the US. Likewise, Wake County sends more people to Fairfax Co. VA than any other county in the US outside of NC. While I understand that Fairfax Co. doesn't represent the entire DC MSA, it's a strong indicator as the MSA's most populated county.
The DC and Triangle economies have many synergies. The Triangle is highly tied to DC economically.

The top 7 counties that provide migrants to Raleigh are as follows:
  1. Fairfax, VA
  2. Suffolk, NY
  3. Broward, FL
  4. Los Angeles, CA
  5. Santa Clara, CA
  6. San Diego, CA
  7. Cook, IL

In the case of every one of these 7 counties, Wake receives more migrants than they return. While it's true for Fairfax too, Wake sends many more residents to Fairfax than the others on the list.

BTW, I am fully aware that D.C. is not in Fairfax. But, one must realize that D.C. proper is but a small percentage of the overall Metro's population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City