Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 12:52 AM

10,213 posts, read 15,914,912 times

Advertisements

New Orleans does have a lot of black history and has had a large free black population even when slavery existed, and a lot of New Orleans's musical traditions like jazz and the marching bands come from the black culture. The famous cuisine also has clear African and Caribbean influences. In modern days New Orleans is also known for rap music as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 05:49 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
considering this is a history thread, a lot of responses are missing boston. i know it is widely known as a whites-only kind of town but historically it has had a lot of notable african-american events:
crisps attucks
mass 54th regiment
malcolm x
louise farrakhan
abolitionist movement
n.a.a.c.p.
black heritage trail
freddy douglas
the liberator
mary mahoney
rebecca crumpler
eddie brooke
phillis wheatley
african meeting house
prince hall

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-29-2021 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-29-2021, 06:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Tier 1 no order:

Detroit
D.C.
Atlanta
Chicago
New Orleans
Baltimore

Tier 2 no order:

Philadelphia
NYC
Oakland
Los Angeles
Houston
St. Louis

Tier 3 no order:

Dallas
Memphis
Charlotte
Miami
Cleveland
Cincinnati

The rest in any order:

Kansas City
Louisville
Oklahoma City
Milwaukee
Mobile/Montgomery
Jackson, MS
Richmond, VA/Tidewater
Jacksonville
Little Rock
Nashville
Beaumont/Port Arthur
Raleigh/Durham/Wilmington

Old 07-29-2021, 06:44 AM

14,161 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Tier 1 no order:

Detroit
D.C.
Atlanta
Chicago
New Orleans
Baltimore

Tier 2 no order:

Philadelphia
NYC
Oakland
Los Angeles
Houston
St. Louis

Tier 3 no order:

Dallas
Memphis
Charlotte
Miami
Cleveland
Cincinnati

The rest in any order:

Kansas City
Louisville
Oklahoma City
Milwaukee
Mobile/Montgomery
Jackson, MS
Richmond, VA/Tidewater
Jacksonville
Little Rock
Nashville
Beaumont/Port Arthur
Dallas in Tier 3? Houston in Tier 2?

Houston may be one of the most diverse big cities in the country, but when I think of Black history and culture specifically, it doesn't immediately come to mind in the way the other cities you put in that tier do.

Ditto Dallas — and Charlotte, for that matter, in their tier. In North Carolina, Greensboro, epicenter of the lunch-counter sit-ins and birthplace of SNCC, carries more historical weight.

I'm willing to entertain the case for those, much like I made a case for Kansas City and stanley-88888888 made one for Boston, which I would agree belongs in either Tier 2 or Tier 3 on your hierarchy.

I'd also put Memphis, St. Louis and Kansas City all in the same tier — Tier 3.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:38 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
considering this is a history thread, a lot of responses are missing boston. i know it is widely known as a whites-only kind of town but historically it has had a lot of notable african-american events:
crisps attucks
mass 54th regiment
malcolm x
louise farrakhan
abolitionist movement
n.a.a.c.p.
black heritage trail
the liberator
mary mahoney
rebecca crumpler
eddie brooke
phillis wheatley
african meeting house
prince hall
Yes worthy of a mention if we're listing 15-20 cities down to Oklahoma City Louisville and Jacksonville and all that- but not the top 1 or 2 tiers. Certainly up there for the reasons listed above. But it has lacked the African American culture part in a big way. The history is pretty solid.

There is some culture but not a lot for its size. People mentioned it in this thread in 2012 and 2016. So its been discussed.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:35 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Has any city documented their African American history and culture across their city like DC? You can still experience history throughout DC today all over the city through the African American History and Cultural trails.

African American Heritage Trail (Washington, DC)

Brightwood, African American Heritage Trail

Brookland, African American Heritage Trail

Capitol Hill, African American Heritage Trail

Deanwood & Mayfair, African American Heritage Trail

Downtown, African American Heritage Trail

Dupont Circle & Strivers' Section, African American Heritage Trail

Georgetown, African American Heritage Trail

Greater U Street, African American Heritage Trail

Howard University, African American Heritage Trail

LeDroit Park, African American Heritage Trail

Logan Circle, African American Heritage Trail

Mount Vernon Square & Shaw, African American Heritage Trail

National Mall, African American Heritage Trail

Northeast, African American Heritage Trail

Northwest, African American Heritage Trail

Old Anacostia & Hillsdale, African American Heritage Trail

Southeast, African American Heritage Trail

Southwest, African American Heritage Trail

Waterfront/Southwest DC, African American Heritage Trail
I just came from visiting Philly and honestly I always knew about Philly's rich and historical black culture but after visiting Philly it has to be in my top 5 for me.

Pretty much everywhere in the city there was always a historical marker reminding you of Enslaved African's role in shaping the city. I thought that was telling how they made it a point to include in great detail about their role. Because some cities wouldn't include that bit of information on their historical markers. And I'm talking places of interest where all kind of tourist go into. I was very impressed.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes worthy of a mention if we're listing 15-20 cities down to Oklahoma City Louisville and Jacksonville and all that- but not the top 1 or 2 tiers. Certainly up there for the reasons listed above. But it has lacked the African American culture part in a big way. The history is pretty solid.

There is some culture but not a lot for its size. People mentioned it in this thread in 2012 and 2016. So its been discussed.
Sorry, that's a glaring ommission on my part. Boston fits, probably a tweener of tier 3 and the final tier, I placed at top of the final tier, but wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts:

Quote:
Tier 1 no order:

Detroit
D.C.
Atlanta
Chicago
New Orleans
Baltimore

Tier 2 no order:

Philadelphia
NYC
Oakland
Los Angeles
Houston
St. Louis

Tier 3 no order:

Dallas
Memphis
Charlotte
Miami
Cleveland
Cincinnati

The rest in any order:

Boston
Kansas City
Louisville
Oklahoma City
Milwaukee
Mobile/Montgomery
Jackson, MS
Richmond, VA/Tidewater
Jacksonville
Little Rock
Nashville
Beaumont/Port Arthur

Old 07-29-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I just came from visiting Philly and honestly I always knew about Philly's rich and historical black culture but after visiting Philly it has to be in my top 5 for me.

Pretty much everywhere in the city there was always a historical marker reminding you of Enslaved African's role in shaping the city. I thought that was telling how they made it a point to include in great detail about their role. Because some cities wouldn't include that bit of information on their historical markers. And I'm talking places of interest where all kind of tourist go into. I was very impressed.
You're right...

I think Philly can fill out the bottom of tier 1 with Detroit, DC, ATL, Chicago, NO and Baltimore.

New York and Philly both I think can be argued with the best of them, but the tippy top of the first tier Detroit, DC, Atlanta have each at some point in their history been known as down right African American "Meccas". I think a great head to head match up would be Philadelphia v Chicago, which has the richest AA history...

Old 07-29-2021, 02:38 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Sorry, that's a glaring ommission on my part. Boston fits, probably a tweener of tier 3 and the final tier, I placed at top of the final tier, but wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts:
Because we're talking about African American history AND culture your spot is pretty much right. But idk it might be roughly the same as Miami and Cincinnati (Cincinnati seems sort of out of place-whh is it here? The high black percentage?). Miami is pretty weak on the history.. settled so recently and really restrictive of blacks when it wasn't as settled-whereas Boston black history goes back to ~1700, and many famous back Americans lived and we're educated there.

And really more African Americans are north of Miami-Dade than in it. Miami is popular with Black Americans obviously, and it has some famous artists and sport figures.

So maybe most realistically Boston/Kansas City/Cincinatti(Minneapolis) are all sort id together overall? Just below Miami.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:42 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
You're right...

I think Philly can fill out the bottom of tier 1 with Detroit, DC, ATL, Chicago, NO and Baltimore.

New York and Philly both I think can be argued with the best of them, but the tippy top of the first tier Detroit, DC, Atlanta have each at some point in their history been known as down right African American "Meccas". I think a great head to head match up would be Philadelphia v Chicago, which has the richest AA history...
DC and Atlanta over Detroit, move Memphis to tier 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City