Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 05:07 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
HBCU's by metro area tiered:

Atlanta- 4
Raleigh-Durham- 4
Columbia, SC (CSA)- 4
Richmond/ Tidewater, VA- 4

New Orleans-3
Washington DC- 3
Charlotte- 3
Greensboro-Winston Salem- 3
Nashville- 3

Baltimore- 2
Baton Rouge- 2
Philadelphia-2
Dayton, OH- 2
Houston- 2
Dallas- 2

Memphis- 1
Jackson, MS- 1
Louisville- 1
St. Louis- 1
Detroit- 1
Austin- 1
San Antonio- 1
Shreveport- 1
Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Miami, Tallahassee, Orlando each = 1
pine manor college in metro boston.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is interesting is that if Medgar Evers College in Brooklyn was started 6 years earlier, it would qualify as an HBCU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medgar_Evers_College

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/co....asp?ID=190646
i didnt even know there was specific criteria.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-30-2021 at 05:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 06:02 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Because we're talking about African American history AND culture your spot is pretty much right. But idk it might be roughly the same as Miami and Cincinnati (Cincinnati seems sort of out of place-whh is it here? The high black percentage?). Miami is pretty weak on the history.. settled so recently and really restrictive of blacks when it wasn't as settled-whereas Boston black history goes back to ~1700, and many famous back Americans lived and we're educated there.

And really more African Americans are north of Miami-Dade than in it. Miami is popular with Black Americans obviously, and it has some famous artists and sport figures.

So maybe most realistically Boston/Kansas City/Cincinatti(Minneapolis) are all sort id together overall? Just below Miami.
One of the reasons I argue that KC shouldn't be in the last tier is:

Missouri was a slave state. There's been a non-trivial number of Blacks in the city since well before the Great Migration — which I refer to as the "Second Great Migration" because the Exodusters preceded them, and a good number of those decided to end their journey in Kansas City rather than proceed on to found towns like Nicodemus in Kansas.

And there was also significant Black migration from Texas and Louisiana to Kansas and Missouri in the years after the Civil War. My Dad's mom was born and raised in Lufkin, Texas, before migrating to KC in the late 1800s, and most of my Mom's family lives in and around Houston, as far west as western Louisiana (her offshoot of the famliy landed in Omaha before the patriarch added another S to the surname because he did not want to be known by his "slave name.")

I also think I've raised "Bleeding Kansas" here. Blacks may not have been directly involved in the battle, but there wouldn't have been one if the Missourians didn't own slaves.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:36 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
pine manor college in metro boston.

edit:

i didnt even know there was specific criteria.
bruh... what?

Pine Manor was historically a white woman finishing school lmao. Yes, it is a school that's less than 10% white... but it's only 25% African American, 21% Latino 25% "international" (mostly black though).

And the school was just acquired by Boston College because its tiny (425 kids) and failing. It won't be an independent college by 2022-2023

Aint nothing resembling an HBCU in New England unless you count American International College in Springfield, UMass Boston, or Southern Connecticut State LMAO. Those are diverse not at all HBCUs

Now, Roxbury Community College is -no doubt-a historically black college. 60-70% of the student body is black, always been a mostly black school only ever had school black presidents, founded as a school for black people, by black people in ~1972.... But it was founded too late and it is just a Community College...Even thoughit is bigger thansome HBCUs in enrollment (2,007 students) it has no dorms.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:23 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Some of those schools I did not separate from their university hub. For example Howard University College of Medicine, and School of Law would push DC up to 5.
They aren't independent standalone institutions though. Morehouse School of Medicine and Meharry are.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:14 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Not a city but NJ and Ohio deserve some mentions.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Top 5 for Philly is definitely plausible, but Philly doesn't match DC or Atlanta's Black upper middle class "wealth belt", or the same heights of Black college graduates, to claim #1 IMO. I'd probably overall still place Detroit slightly ahead, but they are close. I think Philadelphia and Chicago are right where it gets interesting. All of the above are top tier in Africian American history and culture.
Personally, I'm not really looking so much at Black wealth and educational attainment when considering the cities with the richest Black history and culture; that would be more along the lines of Black capitals or meccas. For this topic, I'm looking at historical events, institutions, status, figures, etc. and distinctive cultural aspects in areas like music, cuisine, visual/performing arts, religion, linguistics, fashion, etc.

From this perspective and right off the top of my head, Philadelphia just may be tops in the North and New Orleans in the South for this topic. It would be splitting hairs somewhat though so tiering the cities, as most have been doing, is probably the best way to go.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
bruh... what?

Pine Manor was historically a white woman finishing school lmao. Yes, it is a school that's less than 10% white... but it's only 25% African American, 21% Latino 25% "international" (mostly black though).

And the school was just acquired by Boston College because its tiny (425 kids) and failing. It won't be an independent college by 2022-2023

Aint nothing resembling an HBCU in New England unless you count American International College in Springfield, UMass Boston, or Southern Connecticut State LMAO. Those are diverse not at all HBCUs

Now, Roxbury Community College is -no doubt-a historically black college. 60-70% of the student body is black, always been a mostly black school only ever had school black presidents, founded as a school for black people, by black people in ~1972.... But it was founded too late and it is just a Community College...Even thoughit is bigger thansome HBCUs in enrollment (2,007 students) it has no dorms.
That's good stuff....I was thinking one could probably call it an honorary HBCU. Then I decided to look up the colleges and universities with the largest percentage of Black students to see which ones aren't designated as HBCUs and found out that in 2007, a new designation was created for mostly two-year institutions with at least 40% Black student population: Predominantly Black Institutions (PBI). Maybe some folks here knew this but I didn't.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's good stuff....I was thinking one could probably call it an honorary HBCU. Then I decided to look up the colleges and universities with the largest percentage of Black students to see which ones aren't designated as HBCUs and found out that in 2007, a new designation was created for mostly two-year institutions with at least 40% Black student population: Predominantly Black Institutions (PBI). Maybe some folks here knew this but I didn't.
Occasionally RCC is included in HBCU related things as an “other institution/affiliated institution”

https://hbcumoney.com/2012/09/18/the...y-college/amp/

https://www.etsu.edu/human-resources...a-ada-hbcu.php

https://www.mdcbowen.org/p2/sf/faq020.htm

I think it's similar to Medgar Evans in the respect.

It has a “General Transfer Agreement” with Fisk.

RCC has a MAJOR impact not just in terms of education but politically and culturally in Boston. It has a 600 person auditorium which hosts political forums and community productions, and controls the Reggie Lewis Track and Field center directly across from it's campus which is a big deal in the world of track and field.

EDIT: never heard of PBIs...

Old 07-30-2021, 01:19 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Personally, I'm not really looking so much at Black wealth and educational attainment when considering the cities with the richest Black history and culture; that would be more along the lines of Black capitals or meccas. For this topic, I'm looking at historical events, institutions, status, figures, etc. and distinctive cultural aspects in areas like music, cuisine, visual/performing arts, religion, linguistics, fashion, etc.

From this perspective and right off the top of my head, Philadelphia just may be tops in the North and New Orleans in the South for this topic. It would be splitting hairs somewhat though so tiering the cities, as most have been doing, is probably the best way to go.

I appreciate your love for Philly, but I can't see us outperforming Atlanta or DC for any of the bolded. Especially when a lot of black Philadelphians are moving to those cities for their (black) institutions and QOL.

They've broken it down into tiers, I'm fine with ranking Philadelphia at the highest of tier 2 or possible the lowest of tier 1

Objectively, there's no way I'm putting us ahead of DC Atlanta, or even Detroit. I think their top 3 was spot on and most can agree on it.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I appreciate your love for Philly, but I can't see us outperforming Atlanta or DC for any of the bolded. Especially when a lot of black Philadelphians are moving to those cities for their (black) institutions and QOL.

They've broken it down into tiers, I'm fine with ranking Philadelphia at the highest of tier 2 or possible the lowest of tier 1

Objectively, there's no way I'm putting us ahead of DC Atlanta, or even Detroit. I think their top 3 was spot on and most can agree on it.
It's the vibe of Philly proper. It's a lot less gentrified in feel, more “authentic” might be more ADOS than DC proper at this point(maybe not-DC immigrants tend to be suburban) and there are 2x as many people in raw number.

I'd assume black people leave Philly mostly due to QOL Factors and earning potential as opposed to culture or even black institutions. I could be wrong-institutions are loosely correlated with incomes/wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City