Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

oh and i agree that the thread should be about black culture in general because west indians are too tied to black american history to separate from african american history in the u.s.

enough of the division. and it shouldn't become a north vs south thread either because without the south many of us wouldn't be in the north at all (myself included). our history is tied together. there isn't one without the other IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
One of the founders of Chicago was a black man.
and he was of haitian decent

Old 09-05-2010, 02:13 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So. Missing. The. Point.

This is all the evidence you need to see how different the two cultures are.

YouTube - Barbados 11 v Australia 11 Cricket match
Get me Cricket, Get me Rum, Get me Women, and Play Dominoes.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
it is. not all west indians are into cricket.
thats because you're from the south. if you were from nyc you would think differently.

southerners seem to want to stick to other southerners when it comes to interacting with ppl...more so than us labeling you guys and you feeling like you have to stick with other southerners because you don't feel welcome.

just my observation of southerners moving to nyc.
It's the same vice versa, when I see Northerners move down here to the South.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
im west indian also and what bothers me is some of the west indians mindset. theirs this women at my job from st vincent omg she is the most racist person i ever met, she is racist to puerto ricans yet married to one.

and she does not trust black people mainly black americans. i guess you can call her a uncle tom but some of the people mindset from the carib can be irritating at times.
Exactly. Alot of Caribbean people have this UPPITY attitude. Very, very, prideful people, too prideful sometimes.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Yes, afro-americans are much friendlier than afro-west indians. Thats what I meant by U.S. native born blacks tend to be more welcoming, and less clique-ish.
That's not necessarily true. Haitians were TERRIBLY discriminated against by blacks, even beaten to death by American Blacks. Not so welcoming. Haitians from Miami to NY, to Boston. I used to hear stories all the time from older Haitians, of black American discrimination towards Haitians. Blacks may be less cliquish today, but it's because they made alot of Caribbean act that way, with there discrimination. It goes both ways.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:25 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
That city would be Atlanta

Old 09-05-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea but these caribbean gangs were started by the mistreatment from black americans.

i find black american adults to be very friendly and welcoming , to me the mistreatment comes from the black american youth but then again most carib immigrants will start in the ghetto before they move on up , and the ghetto has a lot of ignorant black American youth who will bash on you because your an immigrant from Africa or the Caribbean.
Remember names like "Haitian Cat Eater". HBO(Haitian Body Oder). Straight Off The Boat. "Do you do Voodoo?" Anybody who ignores our mistreatment at the hands of American Blacks, doesn't know our experience.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
did i say that southerners only did that? or is that what you took out of what i said? thats your issue, not mine. please don't put words in my posts that aren't there.

jamaica queens isn't named after jamaicans, either. its not something i ever said or implied. regardless of that, its common knowledge that jamaica, ny is full of west indians.
thank you, captain obvious!! i'm aware of the demographics in nyc. i am born and raised in nyc.

did i say that i found it strange? or is that what you said..? i made a comment about my observations of southerners in nyc. the only reason i mentioned it is because your experience of nyc will be different from a person born and raised in nyc. you are typically outsiders by choice. southerners in nyc tend to be standoffish and stick to chillin with other southerners...whereas the rest of us interact regardless of ethnicity/race, etc.

and thats your experience of what a northerner is like that lives down south and i can respect that. as one that has, i think there's some truth to what you say but i will leave it at that. thats another topic for another thread.

we don't have time for all of that to be honest.

yes and no.
a lot of black nyers have family that lives in the south. most of us have spent summers in the south visiting family and a lot of times family down south visit us in ny. same with west indian blacks. a lot of west indian blacks have american blacks in their family and vice versa. thats how my fam is. we all spent time down south during summers. we aren't ignorant about the south.

the difference is that a lot of southerners haven't been here but a lot of us have been there.

there are cultural differences but instead of agreeing that things can be different and thats ok, a lot of ppl would rather divide, as seen in this thread.

i think in many ways that the SOME of the south is backwards, to be honest. just my observations based on experiences. i have fam in south carolina, for example, and IMHO, south carolina in many ways is a backwards state.

with that said, i keep it honest. nyc is a corrupt city in many ways, IMO. i'll call a spade a spade.

thats them tho. i won't speak for them because i don't know them. i'll speak for myself.

when you come from a city with damn near everything in it culturally (for example my borough alone is the most diverse county in the country and one of the most diverse areas in the entire world), and you go to a different city and you, read this clearly, and you go expecting things to be like it is where you are from, you set yourself up for failure.

atlanta is atlanta. atlanta is not ny. ny is ny. ny isn't atlanta. let atlanta be atlanta.

again, thats them. i know plenty of puerto ricans that know what coon or house negro or uncle tom mean. they might even use it in a sentence to describe a "sell out..."

(and yes, even if they aren't black)
(and yes i know that there are black puerto ricans (pr is 8% black). i'm talking about how close even non black pr's are to black ppl here in nyc)
From the way your post read,it seemed like you were singling out Southerners as if their behavior is any stranger than any other group experiencing the same thing.

As far as the South being backwards.You could say the same about some cities in the North.But people are prejudiced in this country to look at Southerns more closely,

I agree with the other poster mentioning that these things are just miniscule reasons to further divide the black diaspora with issues that one thinks they are more superior than the other.In other words:Colonial Powers House Negros vs American House Negros.The mother land of America vs the motherland of France ,England ,Dutch and Spanish.Fight for crumbs continues

Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
From the way your post read,it seemed like you were singling out Southerners as if their behavior is any stranger than any other group experiencing the same thing.

As far as the South being backwards.You could say the same about some cities in the North.But people are prejudiced in this country to look at Southerns more closely,

I agree with the other poster mentioning that these things are just miniscule reasons to further divide the black diaspora with issues that one thinks they are more superior than the other.In other words:Colonial Powers House Negros vs American House Negros.The mother land of America vs the motherland of France ,England ,Dutch and Spanish.Fight for crumbs continues
Whether you're American black, or Caribbean, we were ALL stolen from Africa by Europeans and adopted there culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City