Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 03:07 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
Not culturally? What does that mean; you listen to rock music?
Stop.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
NYC is too big and diverse to be associated with any one ethnicity. There are literally people from all over this planet residing in New York.

As far as "soulful," I can't say that any city is that. It comes down to the individual, and I DON'T think race has anything to do with it.
Soulful for me has to do with history.Many time negative.Pain.Death,prejudice,love,hate..All these thing make a place soulful.Salt Lake City is NOT soulful.Casper,Wyoming?NO.Savannah?YES.

So in that regard NYC definatley is soulful.They found an African burial ground with over 400 skeletal remains with tombstones dating back to 1790

Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
They were all slaves dude. They did not migrate from Africa to the West Indies. They where imported on slaves ships just like the blacks who were from Georgia or Alabama. All of the people in or from the West Indies with any African decent are descendants of slaves.
So. Missing. The. Point.

This is all the evidence you need to see how different the two cultures are.

YouTube - Barbados 11 v Australia 11 Cricket match

Old 09-04-2010, 06:40 AM

287 posts, read 497,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So. Missing. The. Point.

This is all the evidence you need to see how different the two cultures are.

YouTube - Barbados 11 v Australia 11 Cricket match
Do they play cricket in the U.S. like that? I bet this is more of a Euro thing then a "West Indies" thing.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:47 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,729,639 times
there are more similarities than differences, by far.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,729,639 times
Quote:
Do they play cricket in the U.S. like that? I bet this is more of a Euro thing then a "West Indies" thing.
it is. not all west indians are into cricket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Im a southern black female living in nyc and i always get this question are you west indian lol im like no im from the south. I have no ties to the west indies, but from what i've observed the cultures are different. I have much more in common (culturally)with a white person from the south then a west indian in nyc simply based on the environment,food etc. Also if my parents we're from the south and i moved to nyc when i was younger then i could relate to the west indian culture and southern culture.

*rambling* lol
thats because you're from the south. if you were from nyc you would think differently.

southerners seem to want to stick to other southerners when it comes to interacting with ppl...more so than us labeling you guys and you feeling like you have to stick with other southerners because you don't feel welcome.

just my observation of southerners moving to nyc.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:36 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
While Oakland does have a high black population, I don't think it has much of an African American history.
black panther movement?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Overall, Texas has rich African American History and culture.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
New Orleans. Not necessarily a glamorous history, but quite significant nonetheless. The city is 67% black according to the 2000 census. Definitely wouldn't think any northern cities.
Definitely New Orleans and other cities along the Mississippi River such as Memphis and St. Louis. As far as Northern cities, I think that Chicago and Detroit would qualify since so many AAs from the Mississippi Delta region migrated there looking for employment in the post-Civil War era. And NYC would have to be included thanks to the Harlem Renaissance.
I suppose that as far as New Orleans goes, it's debatable as to whether their history was 'glamorous', but certainly under the Creole culture blacks tended to fare better there than in many other American cities:

http://www.creolehistory.com/

Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
South Carolina coastal cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City