Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's the same vice versa, when I see Northerners move down here to the South.
i'm aware of that...

but i mentioned southerners chillin with each other and not interacting with nyers ONLY because its relevant to the discussion (meaning the discussion of african american and west indian relations in nyc). someone born and raised in nyc is going to have a different experience than a transplant from the south. thats all i was essentially saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
From the way your post read,it seemed like you were singling out Southerners as if their behavior is any stranger than any other group experiencing the same thing.
you have to take it into context. maybe i should have explained it a little better so everything would be clear.

Quote:
As far as the South being backwards.You could say the same about some cities in the North.But people are prejudiced in this country to look at Southerns more closely,
a few reasons why i feel the south are backwards are the low wages, the amount of ppl that are content with the status quo of that, lack of unions, lack of progression, lack of questioning political parties/representatives, lack of attention paid by the youth towards local and state govt, liberalism seen as something disgusting without questioning why (generalization), sprawl everywhere, neglect of downtowns, lack of adequate public transportation (highways are nice...but thats the past), etc. etc.

not to mention some of the racism i encountered there (again yes i know there is racism in the north. this isn't a north vs south thing). i just feel like in the corporate world in the south that there's a good ol boy mentality and if you don't fit that environment then you "have a place" that "ppl try to put you in."

whereas here its about money first, personal petty ish last. the gossiping thing is annoying too. everybody trying to get into your business. sometimes i just want to work. why do i need to tell you my life story, what i did last night and with who and for how long and all that. why do you care about what church i went to last sunday? chill.

again, you have to take what i'm saying into context. i'm not prejudiced towards one area of the country or another area. i just go by things that i've personally experienced in the north and the south.

the south has many cons IMO. obviously the north has cons too (rent is bull ish period, gentrification is garbage). i'm open to discussing either.

Quote:
I agree with the other poster mentioning that these things are just miniscule reasons to further divide the black diaspora with issues that one thinks they are more superior than the other.In other words:Colonial Powers House Negros vs American House Negros.The mother land of America vs the motherland of France ,England ,Dutch and Spanish.Fight for crumbs continues
yeah i think i was the first person that said all of that in this thread lol. its ok tho.

Last edited by eek; 09-05-2010 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a few reasons why i feel the south are backwards are the low wages, the amount of ppl that are content with the status quo of that, lack of unions, lack of progression, lack of questioning political parties/representatives, lack of attention paid by the youth towards local and state govt, liberalism seen as something disgusting without questioning why (generalization), sprawl everywhere, neglect of downtowns, lack of adequate public transportation (highways are nice...but thats the past), etc. etc.
Are you aware of any of the history behind these things and why the reasons for them (i.e., low wages, no unions, sprawl, public transit, etc.)? And some of these things aren't characteristic of the South specifically (e.g., lack of political awareness by youth; across the board, young people are much less likely to be participating in the upcoming midterm elections, as they always are). "Neglect of downtowns"? You can't be serious. Many, many, many Southern cities are investing in their urban cores in a level unseen previously right now; as a matter of fact, I can't think of a Southern city of significant size that's not.

I think you'd be howling about most of this if you lived in just about any other city besides NYC.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 AM
eek

lol, i've lived in many places. i'm aware.
and i'm very serious about the lack of things to do downtown in the south. many cities are trying to make improvements but many more are not. it is what it is.

also, it depends on what you're investing in in your "urban core." not every investment is a good one.

you live in one of the cities that i feel like should be a lot further along than it is.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
lol, i've lived in many places. i'm aware.
and i'm very serious about the lack of things to do downtown in the south. many cities are trying to make improvements but many more are not. it is what it is.
What cities aren't? And I seriously hope you're not using NYC as the standard here. And I'd actually say that many of the midsized and smaller cities are doing better jobs in terms of downtown revitalization.

Quote:
also, it depends on what you're investing in in your "urban core." not every investment is a good one.
True.

Quote:
you live in one of the cities that i feel like should be a lot further along than it is.
Hmmmm, how so? I'll give you street-level retail and parks (and the latter is getting ready to happen within a year or two; the former is still a work in progress). Other than that, we're about where we should be. You probably have no clue how much progress we've made here over the last 20 years.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:38 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
Quote:
i'm aware of that...

but i mentioned southerners chillin with each other and not interacting with nyers ONLY because its relevant to the discussion (meaning the discussion of african american and west indian relations in nyc). someone born and raised in nyc is going to have a different experience than a transplant from the south. thats all i was essentially saying.

you have to take it into context. maybe i should have explained it a little better so everything would be clear.

not to mention some of the racism i encountered there (again yes i know there is racism in the north. this isn't a north vs south thing). i just feel like in the corporate world in the south that there's a good ol boy mentality and if you don't fit that environment then you "have a place" that "ppl try to put you in."

whereas here its about money first, personal petty ish last. the gossiping thing is annoying too. everybody trying to get into your business. sometimes i just want to work. why do i need to tell you my life story, what i did last night and with who and for how long and all that. why do you care about what church i went to last sunday? chill.

again, you have to take what i'm saying into context. i'm not prejudiced towards one area of the country or another area. i just go by things that i've personally experienced in the north and the south.

the south has many cons IMO. obviously the north has cons too (rent is bull ish period, gentrification is garbage). i'm open to discussing either.

yeah i think i was the first person that said all of that in this thread lol. its ok tho.
First of all it seems like a quarter of Atlanta is originally from NY and they mesh just fine, so I do not know what you are talking about. Every city is different so experiences will be different, but how much different is the north from the south, because I lived up north and didn't see any major differences???

As far as wages... STOP lookining at raw numbers. NY(Queens) is more than 2x more expensive than life in most southern cities and we only get paid $1 or $2 less (if that)... big woop. The standard of life is higher in the south. Most 25 yo are trying to buy their first house when I was in NY I met a handfull of 25yo that were able to move out of their parents house... What's there to complain about? Meanwhile company after company relocates to the south because of right to work laws and low cost.

I have to go to work... there are a few more things that you said that are easily dismissed... but you talk about rasism???? In 16 years I didn't experience rasism in Atlanta... I experienced it 2 months into living in NYC... not against blacks, but against Mexicans. And I wouldn't be talking about rasism with all that mess about that Muslim center . The south isn't backwards you are just misinformed

Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 PM
eek

lol i'm not misinformed. i went through my fair share...

but thats another thread so i won't go any further on the subject. it'll derail the thread. back to the topic.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:14 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
i'm aware of that...

If you feel the south is the only place with a good ole boy mentality in the corporate world, you are pretty naive about the way business works EVERYWHERE.

Also, people in the north don't question their political party of choice anymore than southerners do. Both sides feel they are right, and in my opinion, both sides are as self-righteous and ignorant as the other side is. Liberals generalize conservative views as disgusting just as much as conservatives do with liberal views. To be perfectly honest, i've met people from both sides that made me want to wash my hands of either group altogether. I do find it funny how much a lot of liberals talk about how brain-washed conservatives are, while they are just as stubborn about their views.

And what the hell does backwards mean anyway? Who decides what's backwards and what is not? I just don't understand how one group of people thinks they are the all-knowing, omnipresent, force with the authority to say what backwards means.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:22 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
southerners seem to want to stick to other southerners when it comes to interacting with ppl...more so than us labeling you guys and you feeling like you have to stick with other southerners because you don't feel welcome.
Not true. Black northerners have been distancing themselves from black southerners since the second great migration. They saw the black southerners moving up there as country, undesireable, to use your word "backwards" and distanced themselves as much as possible (and they still do it today).

What reason do black southerners have to want to interact with black northerners after all that.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
I'm shocked that 17 pages in there hasn't been more mention of:

Birmingham
Montgomery
Charleston, SC
Savannah
Jackson, Miss.
Memphis
Baltimore

Old 09-05-2010, 01:30 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
If you feel the south is the only place with a good ole boy mentality in the corporate world, you are pretty naive about the way business works EVERYWHERE.

Also, people in the north don't question their political party of choice anymore than southerners do. Both sides feel they are right, and in my opinion, both sides are as self-righteous and ignorant as the other side is. Liberals generalize conservative views as disgusting just as much as conservatives do with liberal views. To be perfectly honest, i've met people from both sides that made me want to wash my hands of either group altogether. I do find it funny how much a lot of liberals talk about how brain-washed conservatives are, while they are just as stubborn about their views.

And what the hell does backwards mean anyway? Who decides what's backwards and what is not? I just don't understand how one group of people thinks they are the all-knowing, omnipresent, force with the authority to say what backwards means.
lol. did i say that the south was the only place with a good ol' boy mentality or is that what you said?

i'm not going to speak for the entire north but as for nyc, the mayor before this independent mayor was a republican. before that we had a democrat.

just saying...

as for the rest of what you and others are saying, you're entitled to your opinions. i've already stated mine but i'm not trying to bog this thread down into a north vs south discussion because thats not what its supposed to be about. so i will chill on going back and forth about the north vs the south. thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Not true. Black northerners have been distancing themselves from black southerners since the second great migration. They saw the black southerners moving up there as country, undesireable, to use your word "backwards" and distanced themselves as much as possible (and they still do it today).

What reason do black southerners have to want to interact with black northerners after all that.
it is true. have you ever lived in nyc? if not then you can't comment on southerners living in nyc. please take the comment IN CONTEXT.

..and the majority of black americans in the north originally got there from family in the south. our grandparents and great grandparents moved to the north.

surely you don't think we distance ourselves from our grandparents and great grandparents..? or that our parents distance themselves from their parents..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City