Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
stay in washington dc, son.

i'm familiar with the gentrification going on in the city that i live in. i'm also aware that harlem isn't the end all be all of black culture in nyc.
Gentrification really doesn't have much to do with blacks leaving New York City. It certainly isn't stopping Jamaicans and Guyanese from moving in. Blacks (American Blacks, that is) are leaving NYC for places like Atlanta, Maryland, the Carolinas and Texas for a variety of reasons, cost being just one of them. Many blacks are leaving NYC because there's a stronger sense of black community and history in other places (Baptist churches, soul food, gospel plays, sweet tea) than in NYC. Many West Indians flock to NYC despite its high cost of living because there's a stronger sense of West Indian community there than other places in the US.

Quote:
tell me how you don't even know about the culture that you're trying to divide right now. you don't even know about your own culture and you're trying to talk to us about this topic? get outta here.
Stop hiding behind the guise of "you're dividing us" to avoid making an argument and supporting it with facts. The City-Data forum is inherently divisive: "Which City has the Strongest Italian Identity," "Which City is More Irish: Boston or NYC," "Which City has the Strongest Cuban Influence?" I don't ever hear anyone cry bloody murder when these topics arise on C-D. So why do people jump up and down and pout when I point out that African American culture is not the same as West Indian culture? Would people also jump up and down if I said that Cuban and Mexican culture are different, too? Last time I checked, Cubans and Mexicans were both Latinos, right?

Quote:
LOL @ pr and dr not being a part of the west indies. get outta here.
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are not considered West Indians. Many Puerto Ricans feel this way and most West Indians do not regard them as such.

Would you consider Puerto Ricans and Dominicans West Indians??? (http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f6/would-you-consider-puerto-ricans-dominicans-west-indians-141487/ - broken link)

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-07-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have a separate parade because they are not West Indians. PR and the DR are in the Caribbean, but not the West Indies. Do you understand the difference?
Quote:
oh.

west indian day parade:

oh.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 AM
eek

Quote:
Gentrification really doesn't have much to do with blacks leaving New York City.
i stopped reading, here.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
oh.

west indian day parade:

oh.
You are funny. I'm not convinced that you really live in New York. Did you even read the link I posted. This poster probably stated it most accurately:

[/quote]Yeah French, Spanish, Dutch, English all the islands are art of the Caribbean, but when used generally "West Indies" is the short form of British West Indies and includes all the islands and mainland territories (Belize and Guyana) in the region that were under British rule at some point.

You also have the French West Indies and Dutch West Indies where the territories French Guiana and Surinam are respectively included. The Spanish normally just lump together as Latin America and the Caribbean.[/quote]

Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are not even part of the West Indian Federation. That's why when you send a package to Barbados, it says "FOB Bridgetown, Barbados, W.I." You don't see a similar designation for Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the DR.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 AM
eek

lol. i couldn't care less what you're convinced of.

you're sitting there trying to tell me about my own city. things about my own city that you have been wrong about since you started posting in the thread.

now you're trying to tell us things about your culture and you don't have your facts straight.

you're consistently wrong.

i'm not convinced that you are west indian. how about that?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
American Black and Caribbean Black culture may not be exactly the same (although they are very close in certain parts of the country), but historically the two are too intertwined to separate. If it wasn't for "Afro-Caribbean" contributions, "Afro-American" culture wouldn't be what it is today and you can possibly argue vice versa. Neither culture is indigenous to the areas they are found and they both originate from the same place. A parade is a great indicator of nothing.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
You are funny. I'm not convinced that you really live in New York. Did you even read the link I posted. This poster probably stated it most accurately:

Yeah French, Spanish, Dutch, English all the islands are art of the Caribbean, but when used generally "West Indies" is the short form of British West Indies and includes all the islands and mainland territories (Belize and Guyana) in the region that were under British rule at some point.

You also have the French West Indies and Dutch West Indies where the territories French Guiana and Surinam are respectively included. The Spanish normally just lump together as Latin America and the Caribbean.

Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are not even part of the West Indian Federation. That's why when you send a package to Barbados, it says "FOB Bridgetown, Barbados, W.I." You don't see a similar designation for Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the DR.

Actually the term "west indies" came from before they split the islands up and PR and DR were apart of the west indies. Maybe they see themselves as "latin" smh now

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 AM
eek

pr and dr are in latin america as well as the west indies. as is haiti (and cuba).

Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
This is such a red herring. What does division have to do with it? Clearly, the thread is titled "Cities with richest African American history and culture." African American history and culture is not the same as Caribbean American history and culture. Apparently, I do need to go on and on and on and state this multiple times in this thread until you have grasped this very basic distinction. If the two were the same, we would not exclude discussions of "African Americans" from threads regarding Caribbean culture on C-D. Hence, we get threads like this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/972196-cities-have-best-caribbean-culture-6.html

How would I be received if I started posting facts about Mississippi's black population in this thread?

And the term "African American" is generally understood to be more specific than "Black," although the terms are obviously used interchangeably. A Nigerian immigrant (let's call him Anayo Nwachuwku) and a man whose whole entire family was born and raised stateside (let's call him LeDarrell Jenkins) are both black. It is debatable whether we'd call them both "African Americans," however, since only one of them is a descendant of American slaves.

At any rate, my basic point was that African American culture was not as strong in NYC because many of the descendants of slaves are fleeing the city and being replaced by immigrants. That is not the same as saying that the city has no African American culture at all, so please quit with the strawman arguments. Philadelphia indeed has a deeper African American culture because a higher percentage of its black population is American-born and the descendants of American slaves.

@ eek - If the two were understood to be one in the same in NYC, then why are there two separate parades for the two cultures?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de6ltFBgwD0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H026ILd9xiE
Maybe you need to take an African American History class or something. Last time I checked there were many PR, Jamaican, Haitian etc figures from Civil War time until the present who have been fighting right along Black Americans for the exact same rights smh. There are way to many west indian/half west indian figures in AA history to NOT include them. so in the end there is not much of a difference. We all got here the same way.

How is the part in blue relevant??? I simply said the term came from Marcus Garvey who was Jamaican and it did.

Last it doesn't matter anyway since Black Americans typically don't call ourselves "African American" unless its on a census as well. Most of us just see ourselve as an American who is black. I personally never refer to myself as AA unless I'm checking a form

Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Anyway back on topic

Bet you all didn't know TECHNO music was started by 3 black men in Detroit!
yes even Techno came from us lol j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City