Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 10:32 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
While that is true, MOST of them are. The problem is, alot of Caribbean countries have some sort of weird "self-hatred" of there African side, and FULLY embrace there European side. Some Haitians will get ANGRY if someone refers to them as African, but some of them will claim they are French, or highlight there French ancestry, some Haitians will even claim Taino Indian before they admit there African ancestry, in the Dominican Republic, some will refer to part of there ancestry as Taino, and Spaniard before they even think of African.
I have met a lot of those. I am a mixture of 4 different groups, but hell, I don'tt have time for all of that splaining. I always just claim black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:33 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
lol... did someone say that Oakland doesn't really qualify? Do you even know anything about the Black Panther movement? Why do you think it started in Oakland? Oakland was dealing with police brutality way back in the day. And once J Edgar Hoover and his cronies ****ed up the organization and black leadership in Oakland in general, they left Oakland to rot in the crack epidemic and give birth to the Felix Mitchells. Police brutality against the Oakland black community is still a widespread issue... the BART execution was just the tip of the iceberg.

And going back to the main point of the thread, anybody you ask in the bay area will tell you that African American culture is by far the most predominant in Oakland even if they're not the largest minority in percentage any more.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
it is. not all west indians are into cricket.
thats because you're from the south. if you were from nyc you would think differently.

southerners seem to want to stick to other southerners when it comes to interacting with ppl...more so than us labeling you guys and you feeling like you have to stick with other southerners because you don't feel welcome.

just my observation of southerners moving to nyc.

You really think Southerns only do that?You have a Jamaica Queens because so many Jamaicans live there.The Bronx is home to the largest Puerto Rican population in NYC.I could go on.So why do you find it strange that a large portion of "southern blacks" might congregate or search for others like them.

I never had that problem anywhere because I've always been the curious type.But I will say that if you move up North or even live in Atlanta New Yorkers overall think that just because they live in NYC they know about culture because they feel they have it all up there.

And you know as well as I know that it is ALL ABOUT YOU NY'ERs LABELING.

Many of them(especially)blacks are really ignorant to what the South is culturally.Maybe a lot of that has to do with the West Indian backgrounds.
They just see the South as being "backwards" because its not like NYC.

Even when you guys move to a city like Atlanta.Most do nothing but complain about how "corny it is son".I have friends who moved from NYC who are Peruvian and Puerto Rican backgrounds.Both with obvious African traces.They hate it in Atlanta because they dont have the Puerto Rican Day parade,or other stupid reasons.They are quick to say Atlanta don't got this or that.Then they say the hate Atlanta but live in Duluth(suburbs).
they know hardly anything about historical black traditions in America or the struggle.

I explained to them the significance of the term "house negro".They heard the term but really did not know the meaning behind it or the historical context.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Eek,

You're missing the point. NYC has an AA influence, but the West Indian influence is just as strong, maybe stronger, and it has been this way for some time now. If you don't think this is the case, you should take a trip down to the Eastern Parkway in Crown Heights on Monday. Maybe we can meet up.

BIM REPRESENT!!!
haitians run the parade imma be out their mos def.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Malcom X was half carribean; Colon Powel's parents are from jamaica; Marcus Garvey was born in Jamaica but no one diassociates them with African Americans
yea malcom x mom was a mullato or a full white women from Grenada.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not about divide and conquer; it's about familiarity. West Indians, and Bajans in particular, can be very clannish. A kid who grows up in Georgia probably sees his parents dancing to James Brown, listens to gospel on the way to church, eats soul food. A kid growing up in Barbados watches his parents dance to Edwin Yearwood, listens to Gabby, and eats flying fish. People want to be around what they know, and most West Indians know that black people are "them" and West Indians are "us."

Plus, many black Americans have this view that "the man is keeping me down." "You can't do anything, you're black." In many West Indian households, there's a different view of this country. Since a takes a bit of determination to up and move to a different country anyway, I think West Indians tend to be more optimistic about their opportunities here, whereas black Americans dwell much more on the injustices of the past. This is a generalization...no need to point that out. But it certainly applies to my family and many other families I know.
im west indian also and what bothers me is some of the west indians mindset. theirs this women at my job from st vincent omg she is the most racist person i ever met, she is racist to puerto ricans yet married to one.

and she does not trust black people mainly black americans. i guess you can call her a uncle tom but some of the people mindset from the carib can be irritating at times.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Half my family is from jamaica and the other half is from North Philly(but trace roots back to the Carolinas). So I understand both sides. US native blacks tend to be more welcoming and friendly, and Islanders tend to have more pride and put more stock in education and being more upwardly mobile(The females anyway), but seem colder and more provincial. American blacks also seem to have more quality of life issues.
u.s blacks tend to be more welcoming and friendly??? lmaooo o ok if thats true then you better ask the haitians in miami why they started zoe pound or jamaicans who go to harry truman in the bronx

Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
You haven't seen the West Indies neighborhoods in Miami have you? Are you seriously saying they are more "upwardly mobile" and such?

he is right west indian areas overall are more upwardly mobile , but not all of them are, here in nyc most of them are the main 2 areas that are not and are ghetto are crown heights and flatbush , but the majority of the rest are ok.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:28 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
u.s blacks tend to be more welcoming and friendly??? lmaooo o ok if thats true then you better ask the haitians in miami why they started zoe pound or jamaicans who go to harry truman in the bronx
Yes, afro-americans are much friendlier than afro-west indians. Thats what I meant by U.S. native born blacks tend to be more welcoming, and less clique-ish.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Yes, afro-americans are much friendlier than afro-west indians. Thats what I meant by U.S. native born blacks tend to be more welcoming, and less clique-ish.
yea but these caribbean gangs were started by the mistreatment from black americans.

i find black american adults to be very friendly and welcoming , to me the mistreatment comes from the black american youth but then again most carib immigrants will start in the ghetto before they move on up , and the ghetto has a lot of ignorant black American youth who will bash on you because your an immigrant from Africa or the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City