Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on this?
I am not surprised by the outcome 9 69.23%
This is surprising to me 1 7.69%
It will recover soon enough 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Census figures for 2009 — the recession-ravaged first year of the Democrat's presidency — are to be released in the coming week, and demographers expect grim findings
1. Modesto, California
2. Detroit, Michigan
3. Cape Coral- Fort Myers
4. Los Angeles, California
5. Las Vegas, Nevada

US poverty on track to post record gain in 2009 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100911/ap_on_bi_ge/us_poverty_in_america - broken link)

Come on... can things really be this bad in these areas for them to be predicting things like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
1. Modesto, California
2. Detroit, Michigan
3. Cape Coral- Fort Myers
4. Los Angeles, California
5. Las Vegas, Nevada

US poverty on track to post record gain in 2009 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100911/ap_on_bi_ge/us_poverty_in_america - broken link)

Come on... can things really be this bad in these areas for them to be predicting things like this?
Not a surprise...4 of these cities have been hard-hit by the housing crisis because they had a big housing boom...For Detroit it's like since some decades, it's just a little bit worse !
The problem is LA, it's a very big city, it's not good for the US to have this city in very bad shape.
Las Vegas will recover I'm sure about that, it's a very competitive city (low taxes, not many regulations) and before the crisis the city diversified its economy but it was too late..This diversification will continue.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Not a surprise...4 of these cities have been hard-hit by the housing crisis because they had a big housing boom...For Detroit it's like since some decades, it's just a little bit worse !
The problem is LA, it's a very big city, it's not good for the US to have this city in very bad shape.
Las Vegas will recover I'm sure about that, it's a very competitive city (low taxes, not many regulations) and before the crisis the city diversified its economy but it was too late..This diversification will continue.
Yeah the problem was, Las Vegas stepped into diversifying its economy from tourism to more tech based right before the economic crisis. Meaning that when the crisis hit, it still wasn't good enough because the hardest hit areas in the economy were housing (Las Vegas's strong point) and tourism (Las Vegas's trump card).
Meaning that the very little influence tech and other sectors played wasn't enough to help it.

Las Vegas has no choice at all left besides diversifying its economy. But the problem is, just like Detroit, when you try to diversify your economy after getting hit this way, it becomes harder.
It is like a person going from 180 lbs to 235 lbs in 5 months, losing that weight just becomes harder, and its something many can't ever lose again because of the extreme measures.

Las Vegas in general, as long as they keep trying at it will be fine.
Detroit is showing some positive signs, thats a good thing.
Los Angeles, I don't know to be honest. I think they are also trying to diversify economy, and hopefully that works out.
Modesto, I don't even know of that place. So I cant say what industries are prominent there.
Cape Coral, same as Modesto, I don't know it well enough.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 AM

614 posts, read 1,764,774 times
I have seen parts of chicagoland that 15 years ago were peaceful alive communites and have now turned into poverty stricken neighborhoods with wannabee gangs running around.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:16 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
I have seen parts of chicagoland that 15 years ago were peaceful alive communites and have now turned into poverty stricken neighborhoods with wannabee gangs running around.
Poverty STRICKEN? Oh really? Give me examples. I ask because I have the funny feeling you're talking about areas close to my neck of the woods.

If "poverty" is just your word for "black people" then yeah, they're stricken. Just because a large percentage of the white people fled doesn't mean the "life" is gone.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
People are being kicked out of Chicago to make way for the rich

Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
People are being kicked out of Chicago to make way for the rich
Kicked out of Chicago city, yes. This is true. The city is getting richer and the suburbs are getting poorer.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Look at me.
I(Well my family) moved to the suburban ghetto of Maywood from Albany Park cus' rent was getting to expensive.
It's being gentrified

Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Look at me.
I(Well my family) moved to the suburban ghetto of Maywood from Albany Park cus' rent was getting to expensive.
It's being gentrified
It's being gentrified and "revitalized".

Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 AM

It was pretty alive when we left it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City