Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM

793 posts, read 1,454,758 times

Advertisements

US Universities take the Top 5 spots. Harvard number 1. Good showing from Canada as well with 9 on the list (including my Alma Mater UofT at 17th)

The top 100 universities 2010 - how the Times Higher Education ranks them. As a spreadsheet | News | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,543,290 times
There are some inconsistencies in this list and it is probably the highest critiqued list by academics, even more so than USNWR It is better than before, as they used to rank Stanford out of the top 10 (they got publically ridiculed for that one)...I'm not so certain how cal tech is so high, given their enrollment is so low... There is obviously extremely high value of the sciences in this ranking..

I don't really agree with UC Davis and over something like NYU... or UC Santa Cruz over UVA...

Dartmouth is also around 100? Though it is top 10 in USNews?

Imperial College London over Yale and UChicago?

Where are all the nobel prize winners...

UC San Diego over McGill?

Again, some inconsistencies going on.

Industry income is also quite low only 2.5% Factor...

Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,474,992 times
Massachusetts and California holding down the Top 4...pretty cool.

There are some pretty serious "huh?!" rankings on here though...

I'd say the following schools which outrank Dartmouth on this ranking--yea Ivy League Dartmouth--are very questionable:

University of Arizona, Maryland-College Park, University of Utah, Ohio State, U of Colorado, Boston U, U of Massachusetts, U of Minnesota, U of Wisconsin, among a large group of others...

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

I'd say the following schools which outrank Dartmouth on this ranking--yea Ivy League Dartmouth--are very questionable:

University of Arizona, Maryland-College Park, University of Utah, Ohio State, U of Colorado, Boston U, U of Massachusetts, U of Minnesota, U of Wisconsin, among a large group of others...
It's because they put emphasis on teaching I suppose, 30% of it in "quality of teaching" which is pretty subjective. Another 30% on amount of stuff coming out of them (w/o relevance to what is coming out) Those are all BIG universities with huge enrollments (i.e. Ohio State) so of course they are going to have lots of papers and citations.

I have no problem with Cal/MA holding down the top 4, but I'd move UC Berkeley up there instead of Cal Tech...Cal Tech has a total enrollment of 2,130. Smaller than my high school.

Just to put it in perspective, Harvard is close to 20K and UC Berkeley is 35K.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

I'd say that the schools you mentioned deserve to be rated as is. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and OSU are actually very good schools. Dartmouth does need a higher ranking, though.

Still, these lists are always a bit biased and it is difficult to find concrete ways to rank colleges.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I'd say that the schools you mentioned deserve to be rated as is. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and OSU are actually very good schools. Dartmouth does need a higher ranking, though.

Still, these lists are always a bit biased and it is difficult to find concrete ways to rank colleges.
I'd say when National rankings come out, done by a publication in that nation, it becomes significantly more accurate. Again with more accuracy going down to the specific field level It is when these media groups try to do world rankings where it becomes pretty odd and you have several statistical HUHs?! Especially so.. since the different countries have different education systems Honors level, taught in different languages, different phd lengths, the field of law is extremely quirky as well. Lieter, Gourman, and USNWR field specific rankings are all pretty good and not much beef with them actually.

Then again, a lot of people are also concerned, and with good reason on "how much do these graduates actually make"...particularly with college costs skyrocketing. Most people hope along with just how good the education is, whether they are going to get a good ROI.

I just learned for instance, that somebody I knew didn't know how to do "X" ...and was recently enrolled at College A.... I was pretty baffled about it, and made me start questioning how prepared for the world some universities were making their students. The matter in question had to do with a 200 level computer skills class that was a REQUIREMENT for graduation, as well as an information literacy course which was also required for graduation. I learned they didn't have to take any of them, and it was what I thought was a pretty decent school (not on that list, but pretty okay)...I had to take those 10 years ago so really not much excuse besides from a bad curriculum and just "graduating everybody possible" mentality. Just goes to show that a lot of the time you get what you pay for... big difference in quality of College A, vs College B.

Last edited by grapico; 09-16-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,360,663 times
This list is crap. UCDavis is #1.

Also funny that you linked to the Guardian about a study by the Times.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,474,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post

I'm not saying they were bad schools...but this particular list has them ranked above Dartmouth, which is clearly wrong. Brown is also surprisingly low at 50-something.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,709,152 times
The USA have better universities than UK lol... Cool.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 5,778 times
Sleepless in Bham = Grapico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City