Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Have you actually been to these places? Rochester (or Buffalo or Syracuse) do not have midwestern accents. They share a similar accent, but are NOT the same. These places share a similar type accent to a handful of great lake cities. Huge difference. And the people in Albany talk absolutely nothing like people in the NYC metro area. I have no idea where you get that from. Nobody considers downstate to be Albany. Having lived in NY all of my life, I have never heard one person consider Albany downstate. The culture is nothing like downstate. I don't know where you get that from either.
Well I used to live in suburban Albany, and they DEFINITELY speak more Northeastern than Midwestern. And yes, many folks considered themselves Downstate.

And Buffalo has the EXACT SAME accent as Detroit. Have you been to these two places. I mean, there is no difference whatsoever.

Now Buffalo has a totally different accent than Minnesota or Wisconsin, but it is the same as Michigan. There is a Great Lakes accent, which you see in Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Well I used to live in suburban Albany, and they DEFINITELY speak more Northeastern than Midwestern. And yes, many folks considered themselves Downstate.

And Buffalo has the EXACT SAME accent as Detroit. Have you been to these two places. I mean, there is no difference whatsoever.

Now Buffalo has a totally different accent than Minnesota or Wisconsin, but it is the same as Michigan. There is a Great Lakes accent, which you see in Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit.
I live in Rochester, spent a great deal of time in all larger upstate cities and never heard anybody say that Albany is downstate. Usually there are exceptions, but during my life, spending a great deal of time working, visiting people and hanging out with people I have never heard one person think Albany is downstate. Albany does not have a downstate accent either. It is nothing like the accent in the NYC area. I don't know what you think a northeast accent is, but there is no such thing. The people in Maine talk differently than the people in Boston who talk differently than the people in NYC who talk differently than the people in Buffalo. No such thing as a northeastern accent. There are several accents within the northeast though.
A great lakes accent is not a midwestern accent. The great lakes accent only pertains to a handful of cities on lakes and even that is different. A person in Rochester has a different accent than somebody in Detroit or Cleveland. And the pop thing..... Pop is not a midwestern word. It is a word that is popular on the northeast, midwest and northwest.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I live in Rochester, spent a great deal of time in all larger upstate cities and never heard anybody say that Albany is downstate. Usually there are exceptions, but during my life, spending a great deal of time working, visiting people and hanging out with people I have never heard one person think Albany is downstate. Albany does not have a downstate accent either. It is nothing like the accent in the NYC area. I don't know what you think a northeast accent is, but there is no such thing. The people in Maine talk differently than the people in Boston who talk differently than the people in NYC who talk differently than the people in Buffalo. No such thing as a northeastern accent. There are several accents within the northeast though.
A great lakes accent is not a midwestern accent. The great lakes accent only pertains to a handful of cities on lakes and even that is different. A person in Rochester has a different accent than somebody in Detroit or Cleveland. And the pop thing..... Pop is not a midwestern word. It is a word that is popular on the northeast, midwest and northwest.
The Albany accent is more like the NYC accent. It is nothing like the Buffalo accent. I never said the Albany accent is the same as the entire Northeast. The NYC accent is not the stereotypical mafia accent or whatever. That's the movies. You don't hear that much nowadays.

And pop is defintiely a Midwest thing. No one says pop in NYC or Boston. And Buffalo and Detroit speak the exact same. There is no difference.

And Albany is considered downstate by some, and upstate by others. There is no point in arguing exact boundaries, because there are no exact boundaries.

I could say the Bronx is Upstate, and there is no point to arguing. There is no official boundary, and if you live in Brooklyn, maybe Bronx is Upstate to some.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Laugh all you want; it's all true.

Yes, there are plenty of poor folks in the north and rich people in the south, but we are talking medians and averages. Obviously there are many exceptions.

And I don't know what you're talking about re. cost of living. The South generally does not have a lower cost of living than most areas of the North. The only exceptions are high-demand areas like NYC, DC and Boston.

And most of the South has crap public assistance, so the working class and poor in the South are even worse off than in the North.
Are you seriously going to try and say that Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, etc. don't have a lower cost of living than NY, NJ, CT, MA etc?

South Carolina has the highest COL of all southern states and there are still 23 states higher, including NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME, PA.

Try again.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
The Albany accent is more like the NYC accent. It is nothing like the Buffalo accent. I never said the Albany accent is the same as the entire Northeast. The NYC accent is not the stereotypical mafia accent or whatever. That's the movies. You don't hear that much nowadays.

And pop is defintiely a Midwest thing. No one says pop in NYC or Boston. And Buffalo and Detroit speak the exact same. There is no difference.

And Albany is considered downstate by some, and upstate by others. There is no point in arguing exact boundaries, because there are no exact boundaries.

I could say the Bronx is Upstate, and there is no point to arguing. There is no official boundary, and if you live in Brooklyn, maybe Bronx is Upstate to some.
The Albany accent is nothing like the NYC accent. If you think so, prove it. Because I have not heard anything similar in the accents. And pop is not a midwestern thing. A map of the soda/pop word use has been posted in these forums several times and "pop" is dominant in places in the northeast, midwest and northwest. Just google "pop vs soda" and you can see the map. I'm not talking about Buffalo, I'm talking about Rochester, where I live. We have different accents than the midwest or even the great lakes cities. You obviously have not spent much time in either area.
I would really like to know who all these people are who consider Albany downstate. You would think after living in NY for several decades, I could come across at least one person who thinks so.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
The Albany accent is nothing like the NYC accent. If you think so, prove it. Because I have not heard anything similar in the accents. And pop is not a midwestern thing. A map of the soda/pop word use has been posted in these forums several times and "pop" is dominant in places in the northeast, midwest and northwest. Just google "pop vs soda" and you can see the map. I'm not talking about Buffalo, I'm talking about Rochester, where I live. We have different accents than the midwest or even the great lakes cities. You obviously have not spent much time in either area.
I would really like to know who all these people are who consider Albany downstate. You would think after living in NY for several decades, I could come across at least one person who thinks so.
I can't say I understand what you're talking about.

The Buffalo accent has NOTHING to do with the Albany accent.

No one in NYC even knows what "pop" is. It's a Midwestern term.

And, once again, Upstate is whatever you want it to be. Many folks in NYC consider Westchester County upstate. It only means "Up North", so depends on your perspective.

The reason that Albany is often considered part of downstate is because it has stronger cultural and economic links to downstate.

Albany is growing much faster than most of Upstate, and has a better economy.

Also, Albany has stronger cultural links with NYC, from the accents, to the origins of the people, to the history, housing stock, politics, ethnic groups, etc. etc.

It has nothing to do with Buffalo, which looks and feels like Cleveland, Detroit, etc. Look at the ethnic groups, the accents, housing stock, etc.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Are you seriously going to try and say that Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, etc. don't have a lower cost of living than NY, NJ, CT, MA etc?

South Carolina has the highest COL of all southern states and there are still 23 states higher, including NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME, PA.

Try again.
That's not what you said.

You said the South is much cheaper to live in than the North, which is false, outside of NYC, Boston and DC.

So I don't see the disagreement.

Obviously Georgia isn't cheaper than Michigan, and salaries aren't higher, so I'm not getting the savings.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I can't say I understand what you're talking about.

The Buffalo accent has NOTHING to do with the Albany accent.

No one in NYC even knows what "pop" is. It's a Midwestern term.

And, once again, Upstate is whatever you want it to be. Many folks in NYC consider Westchester County upstate. It only means "Up North", so depends on your perspective.

The reason that Albany is often considered part of downstate is because it has stronger cultural and economic links to downstate.

Albany is growing much faster than most of Upstate, and has a better economy.

Also, Albany has stronger cultural links with NYC, from the accents, to the origins of the people, to the history, housing stock, politics, ethnic groups, etc. etc.

It has nothing to do with Buffalo, which looks and feels like Cleveland, Detroit, etc. Look at the ethnic groups, the accents, housing stock, etc.
I never said the Buffalo accent had anything to do with the Albany accent. Just because the Albany accent isn't like Buffalo doesn't make it default NYC. It is nothing like the NYC accent. If you think so, please provide proof.

And as I said before, pop is not a midwestern thing. I even referenced a map you could look at. You may want to take a look at that map. It has been on this forum several times and comes up on a google search of "soda vs pop"

If you think Albany has cultural ties to NYC, please provide examples. It is NOTHING like NYC. Albany has a small neighborhood with row houses, but row houses are not exclusive to NYC. Most of the city of Albany shares a housing stock similar to new england and the rest of the upstate cities.
the politics in cities are similar in most cities in the state being liberal. Not exclusive to Albany and NYC. The ethnic makeup in Albany is nothing like NYC. The ethnic ties that Albany and NYC share such as higher Irish and Italian populations are shared all over the state. Buffalo and Rochester also have high Italian and Irish populations. Places like Rochester are much more in line with the northeast with the ethnic groups.
Albany growing and having a better economy has nothing to do with a discussion. Using that logic, Albany is the same as Dallas since it is growing and has a good economy.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,489 times
Quote:
I never said the Buffalo accent had anything to do with the Albany accent. Just because the Albany accent isn't like Buffalo doesn't make it default NYC. It is nothing like the NYC accent. If you think so, please provide proof.

And as I said before, pop is not a midwestern thing. I even referenced a map you could look at. You may want to take a look at that map. It has been on this forum several times and comes up on a google search of "soda vs pop"

If you think Albany has cultural ties to NYC, please provide examples. It is NOTHING like NYC. Albany has a small neighborhood with row houses, but row houses are not exclusive to NYC. Most of the city of Albany shares a housing stock similar to new england and the rest of the upstate cities.
the politics in cities are similar in most cities in the state being liberal. Not exclusive to Albany and NYC. The ethnic makeup in Albany is nothing like NYC. The ethnic ties that Albany and NYC share such as higher Irish and Italian populations are shared all over the state. Buffalo and Rochester also have high Italian and Irish populations. Places like Rochester are much more in line with the northeast with the ethnic groups.
Albany growing and having a better economy has nothing to do with a discussion. Using that logic, Albany is the same as Dallas since it is growing and has a good economy.

pretty much agreed, I have never heard someone say Albany is downstate, it's not. and the people there really aren't any thing like downstate NYers.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
That's not what you said.

You said the South is much cheaper to live in than the North, which is false, outside of NYC, Boston and DC.

So I don't see the disagreement.

Obviously Georgia isn't cheaper than Michigan, and salaries aren't higher, so I'm not getting the savings.
Yes, I said the south has a lower COL than the north. I said the same thing in the last post but backed it up with other facts such as, even though SC has the highest COL of the southern states it is still lower than most northern states.

You just like throwing stuff out there and see if it sticks don't you?

GA does have a lower COL than MI and the median income is about $2000 apart. MI also pays about twice as much in property tax than GA, sales tax is 2% higher. Get it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City