Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 PM

124 posts, read 326,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
It doesnt have that typical Southern influcence that you find in Northern FL or an Atlanta or New Orleans.
I am trying to think of 3 places in the "South" that could possibly be more different than these 3... I am not sure I could have picked a set of 3 places that are more different from each other than these...

And what Atlanta are these people going to that is so deep South or country Southern? What? I mean, I've only been to Atlanta a dozen times, and I've never lived there...but I just have no idea what people are referring to when they give Atlanta these labels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:11 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
I'd rather live in the Deep South (no Bumblescum, AL).

I love the Northeast too, I just can't deal with winter and overall Southern cities are more modern/newer, call it tacky if you want but not everyone finds crumbling subway stations alluring just because they're from the Roaring 20's lol. I wouldn't live in an urban area in either region.

Georgia McMansion > Brooklyn Brownstone

Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,350 times
Quote:
It doesnt have that typical Southern influcence that you find in Northern FL or an Atlanta or New Orleans.
so true!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:08 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
so true!
Atlanta is the only of those 3 that even has "typical southern influence".
Northern Florida is southern, but it's not the typical stereotype southern. New Orleans is just as much an anomaly to the south as Miami.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Atlanta is the only of those 3 that even has "typical southern influence".
Northern Florida is southern, but it's not the typical stereotype southern. New Orleans is just as much an anomaly to the south as Miami.
Hmmm, so you're saying northern Florida is "less stereotypically Southern" than Atlanta? I know it's hard to compare a city with an entire region within a state, but I'm wondering how you've arrived at such a conclusion.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Deep south, I like the southern culture. Slow paced, friendly people with good morals, who enjoy nature, and IMO enjoy life more and don't pay so much attention to the small unimportant things.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:48 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Quote:
OMG NORTHEAST - No Question I'll take

NYC
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
DC

Over anything in the south..I have no desire to live in the South..I do love Miami however I dont consider it "the South"
Hmm, then where is Miami?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Hmmm, so you're saying northern Florida is "less stereotypically Southern" than Atlanta? I know it's hard to compare a city with an entire region within a state, but I'm wondering how you've arrived at such a conclusion.
The "southern charm" them is mostly associated with GA, whereas the "Southern Hick/Trash" stereotype is usually applied to Northern FL. Those parts of Florida are undeniably southern, but they're different from the "Gone With the Wind" atmosphere associated with GA, AL, SC, etc. whether there is truth in it or not.

It's hard for me to put it in words. One reason is because "southerness" takes on different definitions depending on who it's coming from. Based on what I consider southern, Atlanta is the heaviest of those three.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:57 PM

301 posts, read 639,727 times
Southern cities DC, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans Deep South states Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, so DC, Houston, Dallas, Miami are taken out leaving Atlanta and New Orleans for city in deep south. Yes I would much take Northeast over hick towns and backwards places in deep south and crime ridden dumps, how is this poll even working out as deep south winning with 13 votes to Northeast 12?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
OMG NORTHEAST - No Question I'll take

NYC
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
DC

Over anything in the south..I have no desire to live in the South..I do love Miami however I dont consider it "the South"
Quote:
Because you like it, it's not the South. I see.

Quote:
Oh it's there; just not that widespread. Either way, Miami is still in the South. That's a fact.

What's a "typical country setting"? I hope you're not implying that's what the rest of the South consists of.
We're talking about the deep south.
MIA shouldn't of been mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City