Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times

Advertisements

New Orleans does its own thing. The accent in Monroe, LA is completely different from New Orleans accent. Northern Lousiana, Southern Arkansas, and North Texas all have similar accents. Bill Clinton, Tamela Mann, Kelly Clarkson, Kirk Franklin and David Mann would all be good examples of how people in this region talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:58 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Not to be rude, but the Deep South only consist of Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, and South Carolina. And it's still winning.
those are all beautiful states, what is the problem?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
those are all beautiful states, what is the problem?
C'mon, nobody ever credits MS or AL on much of anything. They're the "bottom of the barrel" states in terms of quality of life. I'm not personally bashing these states, but they're nationally thought of in this light.
That's the problem, and I'm sure you just wanted to hear what you expected.
(Before anyone jumps on me, I've been to Mobile and explored Picayune. I don't think too harshly of the two states, but they're defnitely among the most backward states in the nation.)

GA, SC, and LA get enough credit to compare (ATL, NO, Charleston)- Southerners are definitely the majority on this poll is what he was getting at. At least that's what I got out of it.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:26 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times
Wow, very surprising poll results to say the least. Either that or someone's trollin'.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Atlanta natives talk country ass hell and whats slang to other parts of the nation is actually a part of the vocabulary in Atlanta. Did you see "dat"? Instead of did you see that? TI and Tiny are perfect examples of how native Atlantans talk.
I'm a NATIVE ATLANTAN. Not only do I NOT talk like that, none of my family or friends TALK like that. I don't even know who the hell TI and TINY (?!) are ... gangsta thugs I suppose?!

STEREOTYPE MUCH?!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Wow, very surprising poll results to say the least. Either that or someone's trollin'.
Truth hurts, don't it Canuck?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
C'mon, no body ever credits MS or AL on much of anything. They're the "bottom of the barrel" states in terms of quality of life. I'm not personally bashing these states, but they're nationally thought of in this kind of way.
That's the problem, and I'm sure you just wanted to hear what you expected.
(Before anyone jumps on me, I've been to Mobile and explored Picayune. I don't think too harshly of the two states, but they're defnitely among the most backward states in the nation.)

GA, SC, and LA get enough credit to compare (ATL, NO, Charleston)- Southerners are definitely the majority on this poll is what he was getting at. At least that's what I got out of it.
They are all very beautiful states, and I prefer living in them than anything north of Maryland. The New English and other states may be more progressive, they may be more alive, but the quality of life is certainly not less in these states (well based on my version of QOL)

A good life for me is lots of available work, good housing at decent cost, adequate educational facilities, and access to good quality arts.

I don't need many people around me, I don't need to have the best university in the world in my state, I don't need trains everywhere, I don't need the stress of fast passed living.

Cities like Savannah to me are the epitome of high quality of life

Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The "southern charm" them is mostly associated with GA, whereas the "Southern Hick/Trash" stereotype is usually applied to Northern FL. Those parts of Florida are undeniably southern, but they're different from the "Gone With the Wind" atmosphere associated with GA, AL, SC, etc. whether there is truth in it or not.

It's hard for me to put it in words. One reason is because "southerness" takes on different definitions depending on who it's coming from. Based on what I consider southern, Atlanta is the heaviest of those three.
Interesting. For me, due to Atlanta's size, diversity, and "cosmopolitanness," I consider it less stereotypically Southern than northern Florida. Although in some ways unwarranted, we tend to equate stereotypical Southernness with the rural South, and northern Florida comes much closer to that.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
We're talking about the deep south.
MIA shouldn't of been mentioned.
Fair enough.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Although in some ways unwarranted, we tend to equate stereotypical Southernness with the rural South, and northern Florida comes much closer to that.
See, that's what I don't do. I find that incredibly flawed that we can except rural and urban cities up north as "northern", but the minute something in the south becomes urban it's becoming less "southern". IMHO, I don't care how big Atlanta (or Houston, etc.) gets or how "cosmopolitan" they are said to be at the end of the day they are still overwhelmingly southern cities with a think layer of diversity (culturally not racial) laid on top. Dig half an inch beneath the surface and the basic southern framework is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City