Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:10 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Southern cities DC, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans Deep South states Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, so DC, Houston, Dallas, Miami are taken out leaving Atlanta and New Orleans for city in deep south. Yes I would much take Northeast over hick towns and backwards places in deep south and crime ridden dumps, how is this poll even working out as deep south winning with 13 votes to Northeast 12?
Excuse me Mr. Superior Northeastern person, the sad fact for you is that there are backward places in New York just like Southern states. Please explore your upstate region just a tad more ok?

Last edited by InLondon; 09-18-2010 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I prefer the infrastructure in the NE. The cities/states are all well connected, diversity is stronger, crime is overall lower, and education is better. I'm a homer though.

I have nothing against the deep south- There's obviously a reason why southerners are generally the proudest Americans.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The "southern charm" them is mostly associated with GA, whereas the "Southern Hick/Trash" stereotype is usually applied to Northern FL. Those parts of Florida are undeniably southern, but they're different from the "Gone With the Wind" atmosphere associated with GA, AL, SC, etc. whether there is truth in it or not.

It's hard for me to put it in words. One reason is because "southerness" takes on different definitions depending on who it's coming from. Based on what I consider southern, Atlanta is the heaviest of those three.
I'm sorry I had to laugh at this... "Southern Charm!"... Atlanta!...? I've never heard that before. I live in Atlanta and sometimes I have a hard time finding southerners.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I'm sorry I had to laugh at this... "Southern Charm!"... Atlanta!...? I've never heard that before. I live in Atlanta and sometimes I have a hard time finding southerners.
Oh, so Atlanta isn't southern now and Georgia doesn't have any southern charm?? If this was a "Capital of the South" thread there would be 46 pages detailing how Atlanta was the epitome of the south.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Oh, so Atlanta isn't southern now and Georgia doesn't have any southern charm?? If this was a "Capital of the South" thread there would be 46 pages detailing how Atlanta was the epitome of the south.
I gave you props for that one, you are so right there.

I have seen so many claims to it being the capital of the south

Old 09-18-2010, 10:09 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
Quote:
I didn't say it isn't in the south. It is. Savannah has "southern charm" so does Charleston, and New Orleans. Atlanta doesn't even have many old historical buildings from the antebellum period. Basically it's not all that charming. Atlanta does not come close to having "southern charm". It's a practical, new south, sunbelt, industrial city similar to Dallas, Houston, and Miami which also may lack "southern charm".

P.S. which is a loss... I really like the architecture, vibe, and charm of Savannah.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
I love where I live (TN) but I personally wouldn't want to live any further South than Memphis (aside from maybe Atlanta). I also wouldn't want to live in the Northeast, so I'd go with neither.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I gave you props for that one, you are so right there.

I have seen so many claims to it being the capital of the south
Seriously, if this was one of the threads where "southern" was seen as positive; so much of Atlanta would be forced down our throats by now that we'd be sh*tting Atlanta. Funny how when "southern" has taken on a negative image in the beginning of the thread it becomes laughable to say that Atlanta is southern. Hey, it's an opinion though. To each his own.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it isn't in the south. It is. Savannah has "southern charm" so does Charleston, and New Orleans. Atlanta doesn't even have many old historical buildings from the antebellum period. Basically it's not all that charming. Atlanta does not come close to having "southern charm". It's a practical, new south, sunbelt, industrial city similar to Dallas, Houston, and Miami which also may lack "southern charm".

P.S. which is a loss... I really like the architecture, vibe, and charm of Savannah.
Ok, so do you see where I said that "The 'southern charm' theme is mostly associated with GA" (as in people associate southerness and southern charm with Georgia as well as cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, and Charlotte).

If were going to go by the "stereotypical" southern culture you can't really put Atlanta next to Dallas and Miami as it will blow them away and will lead Houston to an extent. By that same definition New Orleans wouldn't even be southern.

Finally, being "New South", demolishing buildings, and adding transplants do not take away from the dominant culture of an area. People are going to be people, you just have different people mixed in.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Atlanta natives talk country ass hell and whats slang to other parts of the nation is actually a part of the vocabulary in Atlanta. Did you see "dat"? Instead of did you see that? TI and Tiny are perfect examples of how native Atlantans talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City