Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:39 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,581 times

Advertisements

this guy did NOT just use the term "urban forest" LOLLLLLLL!!

No, but seriously, in your attempt to defend Atlanta, you're really just making it look worse. When it comes down to it, we all know Atlanta is a thriving city with much to offer; but there's certain aspects of Atlanta that render it unappealing to many people (like myself)--so saying some absurd ***** about it being unrivaled by any other cities in America besides NYC and CHI is not going to change our mind, its simply going to make the 'less appealing' characteristics stick out even more than they already do.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:52 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Umm, no Galunger. You see I'm not portraying 7 miles in one direction to represent all of the area unlink someone :wink:. The fact remains that 7 miles out from Atlanta's core you can find trees and open space. I can guarantee you that isn't the only spot with those characteristics and even then nowhere else in Atlanta will match the density north of Atlanta 7 miles out. Question: How many blocks away from the Peachtree corridor does that type of development actually extend?

As far as N.O. there may not be a subway, but in 85% of the suburbs I'm never less than half a mile away from transit. I can easily get wherever I need to be. Secondly, what does a subway have to do with trees and land? Having a subway nearby doesn't validate or invalidate the way the area is developed.
Quote:
On that note, find me a suburb in GA that remotely resembles this.
Google Maps
ROFL Westabank post pictures of the Fulton industrial area trying prove a point. fail. Dude Atlanta in eight direction Atlanta is develop 7 directions, southwest Atlanta is the only area that has a large amount undeveloped area any other direction might have minor areas and you nick picking. Also I save you trouble because like said earlier your proving just how little you know about metro Atlanta, the Chattahoochee has forest flood plain. In addition there a lot of creeks and etc that break off from it. So like Dallas you have skip this area and do ahead into Cobb. Your clear not listening to what posters are trying to tell you. Now west bank you know Atlanta suburbia doesn’t have a grid other than that there’s nothing unique about that New Orleans Google link, Also Atlanta is plain out forested even in urban areas so to need go ahead quit.

Quote:
Delusional, yes. Visitors riding through Atlanta see trees unless they're on the connector, 400, or the stretch of I-20 between Lee St and a little eastward of the connector. There are some amazing views coming down I-85 between 400 and I-75 though and a good one coming in from I-20 in Cobb when you go down the hill before Six Flags.
In Atlanta the freeways are line with trees genius if you look though you can actually see homes it's not that thick, and then the neighborhoods are intergraded with trees behind it. Earlier you posted a link of Decatur for east Atlanta which was clearly develop suburban area. More than the New Orleans suburban link you posted, I know you weren't trying to say that area is undevelop? Development here is masked by trees. Of course your going to be staring at a pine forest.

The golden line you said "I can go 7 miles west or east of Atlanta and be staring at pine trees and open land" you can go 0 milies away from Atlanta be staring a pine forest because the urban area is develop in a pine forest because this a forest. ) This is not the same thing as a thick undevelop forest or open woods. I'm not going post a google image link, here's a video of the eastside the same area your talking about. Notice how trees are masking a develop area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3jUeKA4JVc

This video starts Downtown and goes down MLK that going west "the west side is the hood so don't be surprise" 7 milies west of huh westbank open areas? )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5nFGGTte0M

Again only the far southwest end fulton is less develop, Which is very un representative of the core counties of the Atlanta area. I glad this time you went all in exploiting what you don’t know.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:55 PM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
about it being unrivaled by any other cities in America besides NYC and CHI is not going to change our mind, its simply going to make the 'less appealing' characteristics stick out even more than they already do.
Who said this? Where was this stated?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 PM

Newsboy said it post #387; he said no city in America--except for NYC and CHI--compares to ATL in terms of 'sheer size and variety', or some crazy **** like that.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:02 PM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
Quote:
Amazing how much has been built in such a short time. Outside of NYC and Chicago, I really think no other US city compares now to ATL for sheer mass and variety of buildings. All the photos posted on this site don't do it justice. You have to see it -- and if you haven't seen it in 3-4 years, then you HAVEN'T seen it, it has changed so much in that time. I'm convinced that a lot of the ATL naysayers on C-D just haven't been to the city in awhile (if at all).

right here.
This is talking about the mass and variety of building bro. This is not saying ATL is better than every other city then Chicago or NYC.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:04 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
this guy did NOT just use the term "urban forest" LOLLLLLLL!!

No, but seriously, in your attempt to defend Atlanta, you're really just making it look worse. When it comes down to it, we all know Atlanta is a thriving city with much to offer; but there's certain aspects of Atlanta that render it unappealing to many people (like myself)--so saying some absurd ***** about it being unrivaled by any other cities in America besides NYC and CHI is not going to change our mind, its simply going to make the 'less appealing' characteristics stick out even more than they already do.
What the heck are you talking about no one is even aruging over 'less appealing' ) who said anything about Atlanta is un rivial in offerings, if you wanted comment back to newsboy say something about the "sheer mass and variety of buildings" Also you don't like Atlanta umm ok you want a cookie? People like different things who is the our?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
right here.

Lol, I know that--and it's an ABSURD statement nonetheless.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
No, but seriously, in your attempt to defend Atlanta, you're really just making it look worse. When it comes down to it, we all know Atlanta is a thriving city with much to offer.
Exactly. They actually have to take what I say and exaggerate it in order to make their defense look better when their defense is actually somewhere close to my original statement. It just makes them look thirsty. If I continue on with it they'll just spin my comment into something completely opposite what I've said and wait for the bandwagon to jump on it.

Just look how someone from Atlanta made the statement that Atlanta is dense and urban 7 miles out, but Cincinnati is farmland.
When I point out that open land and trees can be found within 7 miles out of Atlanta as well they claim that I'm cherry picking.
When I clarify myself they spin my post to make it seem like I said that 7 miles out of Atlanta was the middle of nowhere.
When I point out that I never implied that the entire area was like this, but that areas can be found; they say it's ok because they have an urban forest and it's industrial.
Their last defense invalidates their original claim.

On that note, I can think of several airports and industrial zones that are surrounded by dense development.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
what the heck are you talking about no one is even aruging over 'less appealing' ) who said anything about atlanta is un rivial in offerings, if you wanted comment back to newsboy say something about the "sheer mass and variety of buildings" Also you don't like atlanta umm ok you want a cookie? People like different things who is the our?

and his statement that it is unrivaled (aside from nyc and chi) in terms of 'sheer mass and variety of buildings' is exactly what i was referring to!!!! It is a completely absurd statement. Take your head out of your ass and wake up, lol atlanta is no where near what you guys desperately want it to be.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Exactly. They actually have to take what I say and exaggerate it in order to make their defense look better when their defense is actually somewhere close to my original statement. It just makes them look thirsty. If I continue on with it they'll just spin my comment into something completely opposite what I've said and wait for the bandwagon to jump on it.

That is EXACTLY what they do--and it's getting pathetic at this point. I really don't think they realize how bad they're making Atlanta look. They blatantly try to overcompensate for whatever insecurities they have about their city, when it's completely unnecessary. Despite what they think, we don't have some secret agenda against Atlanta, so they seriously need to relax and start taking Atlanta for what it is, not what it ISN'T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City