Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following is your favorite city in the Midwest?
Chicago 51 34.93%
Detroit 9 6.16%
Indianapolis 7 4.79%
Columbus 3 2.05%
Milwaukee 6 4.11%
Kansas City 10 6.85%
St. Louis 16 10.96%
Cleveland 9 6.16%
Minneapolis 18 12.33%
Cincinnati 5 3.42%
Madison 4 2.74%
Des Moines 3 2.05%
Wichita 2 1.37%
Lincoln 2 1.37%
Springfield 1 0.68%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times

Advertisements

one thing is for sure-- a lot of chicago homers would certainly like to be considered tough. i don't know why it's a negative to call a place friendly. chicago is a friendly city, and i think most people would agree. you can have a complex about it if you want, but accusing me of not "knowing" chicago simply because i called it a friendly midwestern city only makes you look like a wannabe.

let me be clear-- chicago as a city is aggressive with respect to public projects, skyscrapers and the like. the people in chicago do not have an aggressive attitude compared to what i'm used to. sure there are some a$$hole drivers on the expressways, but in general people are very approachable. take from that what you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 11:39 AM

36 posts, read 75,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
one thing is for sure-- a lot of chicago homers would certainly like to be considered tough. i don't know why it's a negative to call a place friendly. chicago is a friendly city, and i think most people would agree. you can have a complex about it if you want, but accusing me of not "knowing" chicago simply because i called it a friendly midwestern city only makes you look like a wannabe.

let me be clear-- chicago as a city is aggressive with respect to public projects, skyscrapers and the like. the people in chicago do not have an aggressive attitude compared to what i'm used to. sure there are some a$$hole drivers on the expressways, but in general people are very approachable. take from that what you will.
Tell you what come to the south side, E 79th St and I'll show you how tough we Chicagoans are.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 PM

every city has "tough" neighborhoods.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM

33 posts, read 80,575 times
I'd have to go with St. Louis, I've made more money in that town than anywhere else!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Detroit or St. Louis or Sensi-Natti

Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
my ex-wife is from the north suburbs of chicago. i have been there close to 100 times in my life. chicago is not a tough city. it is a friendly midwestern place and i don't know why that's a bad thing. it moves faster than other midwestern cities, but that doesn't make it tough. if you're talking about having to sit in hours of traffic during most of the day, then i guess you could say it's tough in that regard, but the people are down-to-earth and much friendlier and chattier than the average people on the east coast.
Haha, well there you go, the Northern suburbs. I have been to Chicago too many times and have most of my family there to know that's it's a very tough city. People in Chicago will not hesitate to fight you if you tempt them -- a rarity in this country. Maybe it's just my immediate family but nobody I know in Chicago is a pu$$y, and none of their friends or relatives are either. No offense but I just don't think you should spout off about Chicago like you know it just because your ex is from the Northside. The West and South sides are notoriously tough and I'd say they rival anything in Philly, NYC or Boston. I also saw a survey recently rating Chicago the "toughest" city in America, but I can't remember where I saw that. Regardless, I am not trying to sound "hard" for Chicagoans (I'm only a part-time member), but I just don't think you know what you're talking about and I wanted to clear it up a little. It doesn't matter though, you're free to think what you'd like.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 AM

^whatever makes you feel good. just because my ex is from the north suburbs doesn't mean i am not familiar with the city. lest you forget i come from philadelphia and am currently living in st. louis-- two cities that are not exactly known to be whitebread, wholesome safe havens. chicago is not intimidating in the least and that's why it's such a magnet for farm kids and suburbanites from all over the midwest.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Haha, well there you go, the Northern suburbs. I have been to Chicago too many times and have most of my family there to know that's it's a very tough city.
ok, big man.

Quote:
People in Chicago will not hesitate to fight you if you tempt them -- a rarity in this country.
strange, i always thought chicago was a civilized city. i am familiar with people who don't hesitate to fight-- i call that white trash.

Quote:
Maybe it's just my immediate family but nobody I know in Chicago is a pu$$y, and none of their friends or relatives are either.
and you and your family represent the entire city of chicago, don't you. my bad.

Quote:
No offense but I just don't think you should spout off about Chicago like you know it just because your ex is from the Northside.
you are right! how dare i share my valid observations of a city i have visited nearly 100 times in my life! how could i possibly have an opinion about it? i am so sorry, i should never have called chicago a friendly city! how insulting to the windy city!

Quote:
The West and South sides are notoriously tough and I'd say they rival anything in Philly, NYC or Boston.
oooh...should i be worried now? i went to undergrad at temple university-- heard of it? ever heard of north philly? i currently live 2 miles from east st. louis. i'm not scared of those places, so why should i be scared of the south side of chicago? i have been to the south and west sides of chicago more times than i can count. i had a 2-week clinical last year in bronzeville.

Quote:
I also saw a survey recently rating Chicago the "toughest" city in America, but I can't remember where I saw that.
how convenient.

Quote:
Regardless, I am not trying to sound "hard" for Chicagoans
try harder.

Quote:
(I'm only a part-time member)
really? "member"? that's one club i don't care to join.

Quote:
but I just don't think you know what you're talking about and I wanted to clear it up a little.
you didn't clear anything up. i still think chicago is a friendly midwestern city. i hope you feel better, though.

Quote:
It doesn't matter though, you're free to think what you'd like.
yes i am, thanks.

Last edited by slengel; 10-26-2010 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM

It's going to be you against the world on this one, so enjoy the uphill battle. I was just trying to set you straight before you made a fool of yourself but it's too late now. Enjoy digging yourself out of this one!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:31 PM

"I had a two week clinical in Bronzeville"

Are you a doctor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City