Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following is your favorite city in the Midwest?
Chicago 51 34.93%
Detroit 9 6.16%
Indianapolis 7 4.79%
Columbus 3 2.05%
Milwaukee 6 4.11%
Kansas City 10 6.85%
St. Louis 16 10.96%
Cleveland 9 6.16%
Minneapolis 18 12.33%
Cincinnati 5 3.42%
Madison 4 2.74%
Des Moines 3 2.05%
Wichita 2 1.37%
Lincoln 2 1.37%
Springfield 1 0.68%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:10 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times

Advertisements

I'd pick Minneapolis out of that bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 04:45 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,671 times
Cincinnati and Kansas City are my favorite metro areas of the midwest.

Great suburbs. Great family areas. Clean. Beautiful. Aesthetically-Pleasing. All-American. Good quality of life.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Most years this is correct.

Chicago has the most murders in most years, though it sometimes varies.

And keep in mind that Chicago has 2.8 million folks, and NYC has 8.4 million folks.

So basically Chicago is 3-4 times as dangerous as other big cities.
I looked at your posts, so far, mostly Chicago bashing (really, why?). We haven't seen a lot of this since Dementor. Hmmmmm

Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
^whatever makes you feel good. just because my ex is from the north suburbs doesn't mean i am not familiar with the city. lest you forget i come from philadelphia and am currently living in st. louis-- two cities that are not exactly known to be whitebread, wholesome safe havens. chicago is not intimidating in the least and that's why it's such a magnet for farm kids and suburbanites from all over the midwest.
I don't think it's bad that you consider Chicago to be friendly. People are generally more polite than Philadelphi, to be sure.

But realistic question: where do all of these "farm boys and suburbanites" move to in Chicago?

There are many parts of the city where people will f*** you up because you wear your hat to the wrong side...

Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
Quote:
There are many parts of the city where people will f*** you up because you wear your hat to the wrong side...
that is true of every major city in the country, not just chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
I don't think it's bad that you consider Chicago to be friendly. People are generally more polite than Philadelphi, to be sure.
without a doubt.

Quote:
But realistic question: where do all of these "farm boys and suburbanites" move to in Chicago?
walk through lincoln park, lakeview or any host of north side neighborhoods: you will see more license plates from neighboring midwest states than from illinois. most of these kids moved to chicago right from college, hoping for their first taste of "life in the big city," yet they have created safe and sanitized enclaves of people just like them. that's not necessarily a bad thing; there is room for everyone. those particular north side neighborhoods are not what i'd consider "tough" by any stretch. and don't get me started on the trixies.

Trixie (slang) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i just don't understand why anyone would be offended by someone calling his/her city friendly. it defies logic.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:26 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:

without a doubt.

walk through lincoln park, lakeview or any host of north side neighborhoods: you will see more license plates from neighboring midwest states than from illinois. most of these kids moved to chicago right from college, hoping for their first taste of "life in the big city," yet they have created safe and sanitized enclaves of people just like them. that's not necessarily a bad thing; there is room for everyone. those particular north side neighborhoods are not what i'd consider "tough" by any stretch. and don't get me started on the trixies.

i just don't understand why anyone would be offended by someone calling his/her city friendly. it defies logic.
Na, Thats only a Chicago thing. Wearing your hat the wrong way in the wrong neighborhood or street, can get you F***ed up depending on how you look and your demeanor of course.

It nice that you think Chicagoans are friendly. There is nothing wrong with that. Chicago does have a reputation for being a "tough city" tho and still hasnt shaken that label off yet.

mas23

Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Chicago....

Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times
I guess Chicago, but I like Minneapolis and Cleveland as well.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:

without a doubt.

To your first point, no it's not. Chicago's gang culture is very particular about how you wear your clothes in certain neighborhoods. And Chicago has perfected the gang culture more than any other city besides Los Angeles...but you probably don't see that in Wrigleyville

And as to the second point, EXACTLY. Those kinds of safe/sanitized Disney-esque neighborhoods exist in America's biggest cities. Look at Chicago's demographics -- the vast majority of people don't live in those specific North Side neighborhoods. (In a sense, they are not the "REAL CHICAGO"). Even most of the North Side is not like Lincoln Park lol. I think you might need to take a real tour of Chicago.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
you missed my point. i didn't say the entire city of chicago is comprised of trixies and suburban kids. i said there are several neighborhoods there that attract them, in contrast to many other cities in the midwest. if they live in the city of chicago, they are just as much part of the "real chicago" as the gangbangers and street hustlers you guys are so proud of. you can't pick and choose the type of people who represent your city based on your own preferences.

telling me i need a tour of the "real chicago" is ridiculous. so i need to spend time in the city's worst neighborhoods in order to draw conclusions about the city's "toughness"? do you seriously think i haven't seen bad neighborhoods? i've seen some awful south side neighborhoods there. as someone who appreciates urban decay, i've been through back-of-the-yards and a number of other south and west side neighborhoods. every city has terrible, scary neighborhoods. i'll remind you that both my hometown and the city i'm currently living in both have higher crime rates than chicago, if that earns me anymore street cred in your warped sense of reality. that doesn't change my mind about anything i've said here. i'd bet most people who visit chicago don't leave with the impression, "what a tough city." is that your goal or something? the days of al capone are long gone. chicago is a very welcoming, inviting and friendly city, and that's why it is vibrant and fun to visit.

regarding looking at someone wrong, please tell me you are not saying that chicago is the only city with gang culture. gang identity is characterized by a code of colors, tattoos, territories, gestures and symbols. if you seriously think chicago is the only city in the country where you have to watch what you wear, say or flash in order to avoid trouble, then it is you who needs to travel more, not me. i would be embarrassed to post something so foolish. there are parts of chicago where that is a problem, but that is far from being exclusively a "chicago thing." i guarantee you the average person would pi$$ his/her pants just as easily in the "badlands" of north philly, camden or east st. louis just as they would in certain parts of chicago.

i apologize for calling chicago friendly. apparently you "tough guys" don't like that. please don't hurt me!

Last edited by slengel; 10-27-2010 at 05:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City