Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I go?
Seattle 14 40.00%
San Francisco 6 17.14%
New York 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:38 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I thought it was fact? That's all I ever hear about Seattle. The weather is cold, gloomy, and rainy almost all year as well as it's got the highest suicide rate. This isn't true?
The cities in the USA with the highest suicide rate are cities with depressed economies and harsh weather.Seattles doesnt even make the list Im not naming cities because i dont want to shed negative vibes on other cities. As for weather the weather is actually pretty nice we only get 37.1 in of rain a year we have less rain than Houston ,Atlanta,and NY to name a couple . True over half are days are cloudy but thats alot of partly cloudy days also and makes for a beautifull day . If you ever come to Seattle look and see how many people have umbrellas lol. The overcast during the winter also helps keep the temperature more mild . So its a positive thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
I thought it was fact? That's all I ever hear about Seattle. The weather is cold, gloomy, and rainy almost all year as well as it's got the highest suicide rate. This isn't true?
No it's not. don't believe everything you hear. No more true than suggesting NYC is a rat infested hell hole full of crime. It's most certainly not. NYC is a wonderful City. In fact all 3 cities are great places.

If you actually visit all three, it's hard not to like them all.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:31 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
I've been to SF, not my cup of tea.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:58 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I've been to SF, not my cup of tea.
Yea, but it's not you that's going. We should probably tailor our responses to what the OP wants.

That being said, to the OP, what are you looking for? What do you like? It'd help the decision-making quite a bit.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:00 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, but it's not you that's going. We should probably tailor our responses to what the OP wants.

That being said, to the OP, what are you looking for? What do you like? It'd help the decision-making quite a bit.
I know. That was my response to Bill who assumed that if you go to SF, you will love it.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 PM

466 posts, read 1,625,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Thanks for all the responses. Im guess im looking for an experience worth my while. I dont own a car, so I picked these 3 cities because they have good public transportation (im assuming i would have to live in downtown seattle??). Other cities with good public transit such as boston, phily, chicago and baltimore, are too east coast for me, because Im living in DC right now and I want to venture out to the west coast feel. I only put New york in there because well, its NY, top 5 most popular city in the world, how cool would it be to say I lived there for awhile. Other cities I would have put in my list would have been Portland, Austin, Minneapolis,and Denver, but because of scarce public transit (compared to the big names), i chose not to. I think public transit, biking or walking, is the best way to appreciate the city. Vancouver, Seattle, and SF, are 3 great cities with true urban beauty is why I would consider them. I did not put Vancouver on the list because I cannot travel out of the country.

I've been to SF and NY to visit once and loved every second of both, although they are very different. Ive never been to Seattle. Although I live 4.5 hours away from NYC, i do not ever have time to venture out there, I dont even have time to go to Virginia!

A little about me: extreme easy going, love scenery, meeting random people and hanging out is fine with me. I could live in a hole for the summer in any of these cities and would enjoy it (as long as its not life or health threatening). Oh im a male if that means anything...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Im guess im looking for an experience worth my while. I dont own a car, so I picked these 3 cities because they have good public transportation (im assuming i would have to live in downtown seattle??). Other cities with good public transit such as boston, phily, chicago and baltimore, are too east coast for me, because Im living in DC right now and I want to venture out to the west coast feel. I only put New york in there because well, its NY, top 5 most popular city in the world, how cool would it be to say I lived there for awhile. Other cities I would have put in my list would have been Portland, Austin, Minneapolis,and Denver, but because of scarce public transit (compared to the big names), i chose not to. I think public transit, biking or walking, is the best way to appreciate the city. Vancouver, Seattle, and SF, are 3 great cities with true urban beauty is why I would consider them. I did not put Vancouver on the list because I cannot travel out of the country.

I've been to SF and NY to visit once and loved every second of both, although they are very different. Ive never been to Seattle. Although I live 4.5 hours away from NYC, i do not ever have time to venture out there, I dont even have time to go to Virginia!

A little about me: extreme easy going, love scenery, meeting random people and hanging out is fine with me. I could live in a hole for the summer in any of these cities and would enjoy it (as long as its not life or health threatening). Oh im a male if that means anything...
Portland might be easier to get around than Seattle actually but I am not super familiar enough to tell the difference.
SF, and certainly NYC have better public transportation.
Chicago is NOT east coast.
Boston is east coast, but more of a new england feel than nyc-philly-dc

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
I know. That was my response to Bill who assumed that if you go to SF, you will love it.
I never said that. I said it was hard not to like it. I didn't say it was for everyone, nor did I suggest that everyone would love living there.

SF is an extraordinary city with its own unique charm and beauty. While it may not be your cup of tea, it is certainly well worth pointing out that it is well regarded for many reasons and is a cool place (my opinion nonetheless)

Old 10-20-2010, 01:11 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
I've been to SF and NY to visit once and loved every second of both, although they are very different.
Having been to those cities, I think you should be able to decide between them. If you like it more laid back, go to SF. If you like fast-paced city life, go to NYC.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
You wouldn't have to live downtown Seattle to find excellent public transit. Throughout the neighborhoods of Seattle proper there is excellent bus system and if you live in the south end you can use the new light rail system they just installed. Even if you lived in the suburbs, there's excellent direct routes to downtown Bellevue and Seattle.

I still maintain that Seattle would be better than either NYC or SF because if nothing else, it's cleaner, has awesome natural beauty visible right from downtown, and isn't as busy as the other cities. I dunno, I visited SF and while the vibe may be laid back for some, I found it loud, hectic, crowded, rude, and uncomfortable. Same for NYC. I'm a laid back kinda guy too (normally), so if you're laid back, I'd recommend Seattle.

They're all excellent cities no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City