Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
As a hiphop enthusaist myself I wil say this: any one who uses it as a symbol of how Black Amricans have advanced in society should be smacked with a couple of Black history books...that is all

mas23
As much as I agree with you, why is it that those who say the exact same thing are seen as sellouts and uncle toms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Why wouldnt he be proud if his culture and city. Black culture has contributed alot to America and its music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGHpIFtrWa0
And its posts like this why I consider urban East Coast/liberal racism a lot worse than Southern/conservative racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 PM

50 posts, read 74,337 times
U street was b4 Harlem. but most ppl dont know that.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Black capitols have nothing to do with keeping up any kind of african traditions. Black culture is american culture, black people are americans, americans that happen to be black.Nothing more nothing less. None of that "African-american" bull sht

With that being said there is no black capitol. As it stands black american culture is 50% southern and 50% northern. Southern culture represents the old guard, while black culture from the north almost dominates our culture today
The only Billionaire Blacks are all from the South(Robert Johnson,Oprah Winfrey).The largest studio and most influential movie producer /owner(Tyler Perry),Chairman of the Board of Bank of America and fmr Morehouse Grad and President Walter Massey,The largest producer of black college students in America is Atlanta.Atlanta has the most black millionaires than any other city in america.The future is now.And looks like its in the South buddy!Or should I say SON.

Oh and by the way.Irish ,Polish,Chinese,Italians have their own neighborhoods in NYC to this day.All segregated by their Nationality of their ancestors.Not sure of any city in the South with so many distinctions.So why is it UNUSUAL for blacks to be associated any differently?

Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
As much as I agree with you, why is it that those who say the exact same thing are seen as sellouts and uncle toms?

And its posts like this why I consider urban East Coast/liberal racism a lot worse than Southern/conservative racism.
I mean, someone could make the argument that hip hop has created ways for some people to become wealthy like P Diddy, Jay z, Russell Simmions, Slim & Baby(cash money). As a matter of fact Slim & Baby were on CNBC last yer as part of the New black Overclass. But have they changed the world? Have they changed they way people view us? In my opinion...no.

If some upper middle class white kid in the burbs listens to 50 cent yet he, and his family, dont repect black people at all (there are people like this out there too) what good is it?

Rap music is still a HUGE part of black culture but its not the only part.

So to answer your question, I dont know why any one would say that is selling out because its not. If they do, then they need to do some research or watch a documentary at least.

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 10-22-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The only Billionaire Blacks are all from the South(Robert Johnson,Oprah Winfrey).The largest studio and most influential movie producer /owner(Tyler Perry),Chairman of the Board of Bank of America and fmr Morehouse Grad and President Walter Massey,The largest producer of black college students in America is Atlanta.Atlanta has the most black millionaires than any other city in america.The future is now.And looks like its in the South buddy!Or should I say SON.

Oh and by the way.Irish ,Polish,Chinese,Italians have their own neighborhoods in NYC to this day.All segregated by their Nationality of their ancestors.Not sure of any city in the South with so many distinctions.So why is it UNUSUAL for blacks to be associated any differently?
And this info is so obvious because the majority of America's blacks are in the South. IDK who would literally argue with this!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Even though I said there is NO BLACK MECCA and argued that it's unfair how people bold Atlanta and DC in blacks' faces, but to tell the truth based on PEOPLES' OPINIONS of what a Black Mecca is, DC would actually fit the criteria. People say a black mecca is place where there are a lot well-off blacks, not a place where blacks are JUST the majority. I say DC because of its highly intelligent population and its high paying jobs/high cost of living. Really, there can't be anything but intelligent money-making black folks (although it's not the case) in DC. Still, there is truly not a black mecca.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Oprah Winfrey is from Chicago. Yes, I know she was born in Tennessee (or Mississippi), but she made her career in Chicago. She lives in Chicago.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Politicians,powerful celebritys have nothing to do with the culture that a people(s) eat and breath. Todays black culture is dominated by hip hop and RandB hence the percentages i gave. Period mainly hip hop.

Also why does nyc get overlooked for being a black mecca. I seen people mention black population? NYC has more blacks(or just about) than Atlanta has people-period

Old 10-22-2010, 04:52 PM

442 posts, read 828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Even though I said there is NO BLACK MECCA and argued that it's unfair how people bold Atlanta and DC in blacks' faces, but to tell the truth based on PEOPLES' OPINIONS of what a Black Mecca is, DC would actually fit the criteria. People say a black mecca is place where there are a lot well-off blacks, not a place where blacks are JUST the majority. I say DC because of its highly intelligent population and its high paying jobs/high cost of living. Really, there can't be anything but intelligent money-making black folks (although it's not the case) in DC. Still, there is truly not a black mecca.
You are terribly misinformed if you think ATL is considered a "black mecca" because it simply has " a lot" of black people. If that was the case Detroit would win by default. I suspect you are just hating and putting DC over ATL out of spite. Both places have high numbers of well to do and poor blacks with high crime in the communities.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM

442 posts, read 828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Politicians,powerful celebritys have nothing to do with the culture that a people(s) eat and breath. Todays black culture is dominated by hip hop and RandB hence the percentages i gave. Period mainly hip hop.

Also why does nyc get overlooked for being a black mecca. I seen people mention black population? NYC has more blacks(or just about) than Atlanta has people-period
This is not a argument of sheer quantity. It is percentage and quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City