Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 PM

354 posts, read 784,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
For every one but black folks, the first thing they think when you say "DC" is "the Federal government". For every one but black folks, the first thing they think when you say "Atlanta" is "black folks". We had better marketing.

With that said you have a valid point and if this were a poll of just black people it would probably be 50/50 between DC and Atlanta.
agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM

354 posts, read 784,954 times
yea MDAllstar be on some other sh*t lol.. he's a homer for sure

Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
This is becoming ridiculous Allstar. You will NEVER find me defending johnatl except this 1 time but the man has lived in Atlanta for 20 years. I would think he knows Atlanta MUCH BETTER than you can even dream to. You D.C. boosters are all becoming delusional by the day, maybe our tax dollars feeding your welfare state is to blame for this
My point being places in the "A" he dare not venture into.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! You really ARE delusional, aren't you?

Kid, I've lived here 25 years this time as of this month. Add another year from 1982 - 1983. I also went to two years of Elementary School here growing up when my Dad's job transferred us all over the place.

There is absolutely no way, no how that you know 1/1000th of what I know of this place, warts and all. Give it up.

You just can't get over the fact that Atlanta is taking this poll in an absolute BLOWOUT over D.C. Deal with it.
Right, you definetly seem like the type who has been in the hood....

Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
yea MDAllstar be on some other sh*t lol.. he's a homer for sure
Right right but if MDallstar is a homer how can folks say "you DC boosters" when obviously they have been arguing with one person the whole time. Bammas ain't got time to argue over a black capitol.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I largely agree with you here. He actually went so far as to say that Atlanta doesn't have any urban neighborhoods, which is absolutely ludicrous.
What neighborhood do you feel is urban in Atlanta going by our standards? The only place that is truly built out is the area around five points metro station in downtown.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes, the AUC is three schools whereas Howard is only one. But at the end of the day, Howard produces more graduates than all three AUC schools combined. The AUC is only "larger" than Howard if your metric is the total number of schools rather than the total number of students.
Correct. Atlanta has a larger concentration of HBCUs. That's not in dispute.

Quote:
And the AUC is only more "diverse" than Howard if your metric is the total number of schools rather than the composition of the student body.
I'm talking about the TYPE of schools that comprise the AUC when I speak of diversity, not demographics.

Quote:
That's not quite what I was getting at. Morehouse/Spelman and Howard are apples and oranges. Yes, the undergraduate institutions are comparable. But we all know that an undergraduate education doesn't really mean that much. The real intellectual value in academia rests in its graduate programs. They are the ones churning out the research. And sorry, Clark Atlanta's Master's Degree in Education is not comparable to a Doctorate in Physics from Howard. Or a medical degree from Howard. Or an M.B.A. from Howard.
And apparently you missed MY point, which wasn't even about undergrad programs. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, why would you use a school in Atlanta that doesn't have comparable programs? Compare a medical degree from Howard with a medical degree from Morehouse. Compare a D.Min. from ITC with one from Howard. I wouldn't compare a master's degree from any school with another's doctorate degree. That's just silly.

Quote:
So if there's an argument to be made about which city houses more of the black intellegentsia, it's definitely Washington, DC over Atlanta by a long shot.
But that's not the subject of discussion. DC's Finest wanted to know why Atlanta is often considered the "capital of Black America" over DC when it comes to education, and it's typically because Atlanta has the largest concentration of HBCUs of any other city in America. If it's just about the total number of Blacks students in HBCUs, then we could probably throw Tallahassee and Greensboro into the discussion.

Quote:
I'd also say that the University of Maryland and the University of Virginia are much better public school options for black students than UGA, G-Tech and Georgia State.
UVA isn't in the DC metro nor is UGA in the Atlanta metro, so I fail to see why they were even brought up--unless you're now trying to make this a competition between one state (Georgia) and two states and a federal district (MD, VA, DC)?

But at any rate, some data on Georgia State in particular:

Georgia State, a research university in downtown Atlanta, enrolls approximately 19,000 undergraduates—more than one-third minorities, mostly African-Americans. The university ranks fifth nationwide in the number of bachelor’s degrees granted to African-American students, according to Diverse magazine. From 2002 to 2007, the minority graduation rate at Georgia State rose by 18.4 percentage points, from 32.3 percent to 50.7 percent. Today, the university’s minority students graduate at higher rates than their nonminority peers.

http://newsdesk.umd.edu/pdf/2010/TopGainers.pdf (The chart on page 5 is interesting as well. You probably should have mentioned GMU instead of UM).

Quote:
Georgetown probably has more black students and alums than Emory (and it's a better school despite what USNWR rankings may say).
Doesn't seem like it (latest comparable stats I could find), unless some ground has been gained by Georgetown since:

Old 04-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What neighborhood do you feel is urban in Atlanta going by our standards? The only place that is truly built out is the area around five points metro station in downtown.
There are degrees of urbanity. Some neighborhoods are more urban than others. You were stating that no neighborhoods in Atlanta were urban on any level. Midtown is not the most intensely urban place in America, but it is urban--more urban in some tracts than in others. I think this is probably our point of greatest disagreement.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Country...southern....pick your own word to describe Atlanta, either way, it's the south.
"Country" and "Southern" are not the same thing, but I shouldn't be surprised since you think Midtown ATL is rural.

Quote:
It is nothing like cities outside of the south which was my only point.
No one has ever argued that Atlanta was like a Western, Midwestern, or Northern city so I fail to see the point of your "point." As a matter of fact, you're the one who keeps bringing up this subject and not Atlantans.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Country" and "Southern" are not the same thing, but I shouldn't be surprised since you think Midtown ATL is rural.

No one has ever argued that Atlanta was like a Western, Midwestern, or Northern city so I fail to see the point of your "point." As a matter of fact, you're the one who keeps bringing up this subject and not Atlantans.
By saying that, I didn't mean Country like backwoods. I meant it's not dense. It's sunbelt development. My point was Atlanta is a city that is trying to become dense but is still patchy in most areas. My idea of urban is the area around five points metro station. Wide sidewalks and buildings up to the street. That is urban. Midtown doesn't have the build downtown Atlanta has. And there is no neighborhood period that looks like downtown Atlanta across the whole city. There are no row houses that come right up to the street. When Midtown reaches a building density where you can walk 5 blocks north, south, east, and west without any holes and street walls established along the streets, then it will be ready. You can do that in downtown Atlanta, not Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City