Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
DC has more blacks than any of the other places listed, so it got my vote.
No it doesn't. NYC has more. If you're going by MSA, than Atlanta and Chicago has more. If you're going by city, DC isn't in the top 7 or 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
These people "in the hood" up in DC/Bmore and their cars/clothes looks so much different than anything you'd see in the hoods of ATL, Memphis, etc. ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaW2l0zahPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUh0H-5sx6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQcP10SOD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdYgj...eature=related
thos cars in b more look very plain. and i see b more is on the motorcycle game like nyc.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:52 PM

46 posts, read 79,218 times
Not to take anything from Atlanta but its just called the black mecca in name only. Although this is my first post on this forum I've been reading the comments on this forum on and off for over a year. Everybody who views Atlanta as the capital of black America need to look at raw stats. The D.C. area has more black professionals percentage wise and in raw numbers although the Atlanta area has more black people. In another thread it was shown that by far New York and Washington had the most high income earners, with New York and Washington almost tied despite Washington's black population being three times smaller while Atlanta was much further behind.
There was also talk about Atlanta having a greater presence in black history which is totally false. Anyone with a minor background in African American history know that through the 19th and early 20th century the three black capitals were New Orleans, Baltimore, and Washington. These three cities were the only cities with a massive amount of free blacks while also having the largest black populations in the country. After the Civil War Washington surpassed New Orleans and Baltimore to become the premier city for blacks until the Harlem rennasiance took off. In general I could go on and on about black history because that was my major in college. People on this forum fail to realize that probably half of All African Americans can trace their bloodlines through Virginia or Maryland, the two states that gave birth to the south. Think of the big historical names in the 19th and early 20th centuries like harriet Tubman, Fredrick Douglass, Nat Turner and many others, their all from the Chesapeake.
Another argument being made about weather D.C. and Maryland is the north or south is interesting. To me anywhere theirs a large amount of rural blacks is the south and Maryland has a large rural black population. The Chesapeake was a breeding ground for slaves after tabacco prices fell. Thats why their are so many lighted skinned blacks in the D.C. area. Our first great migration was in the 19th century with freed slaves arriaving from rural Maryland and Virginia. These people established the black elite in D.C. and Baltimore, their offsprings are names like Charles Drew, Thourgood Marshall, Sen. Eward Brooke's, Duke Ellington and many others. Howard University was the premier college and Dunbar high school was the premier colored school where blacks from all across the country would do anything to get their children enrolled.
Bottom line is that Washington's black elite has been well established since the 19th century while Atlanta's is a early 20th century product. Most of the bi-product of Washington,s black elite reside in Montgomery county, Howard county, upper northwest D.C. and Northern Virginia. Prince George's county and souhteast D.C. has some of the historically elite but the majority consist of blacks who came up from North Carolina in the 20th century dividing lighted blacks from darker blacks and old money blacks from new money blacks. Valerie Jarret, Barack Obama's advisor and Susan Rice, U.N. ambassador are products of old Washington,s black elite. Roberta Flack and Sugar Ray Leonard, are part of the newer North Carolina migrant class.
But for current stats on which is the premier black city check out Black Enterprise list of 100 top businesses. The D.C. and Maryland area usually consists of twenty to twenty five percent of the companies. Black radio and black television is headquarted in the area with Radio One, TV One and BET. Three of the top ten richest African Americans are from the area and none are entertainers. Howard University is and probably will always be the premier black university. No other university has as many graduate schools as Howard. You would have to combine all the black schools in Atlanta just to match Howard's enrollment. To sum it up Atlanta is just newer and up and coming.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
not to take anything from atlanta but its just called the black mecca in name only. Although this is my first post on this forum i've been reading the comments on this forum on and off for over a year. Everybody who views atlanta as the capital of black america need to look at raw stats. The d.c. Area has more black professionals percentage wise and in raw numbers although the atlanta area has more black people. In another thread it was shown that by far new york and washington had the most high income earners, with new york and washington almost tied despite washington's black population being three times smaller while atlanta was much further behind.
There was also talk about atlanta having a greater presence in black history which is totally false. Anyone with a minor background in african american history know that through the 19th and early 20th century the three black capitals were new orleans, baltimore, and washington. These three cities were the only cities with a massive amount of free blacks while also having the largest black populations in the country. After the civil war washington surpassed new orleans and baltimore to become the premier city for blacks until the harlem rennasiance took off. In general i could go on and on about black history because that was my major in college. People on this forum fail to realize that probably half of all african americans can trace their bloodlines through virginia or maryland, the two states that gave birth to the south. Think of the big historical names in the 19th and early 20th centuries like harriet tubman, fredrick douglass, nat turner and many others, their all from the chesapeake.
Another argument being made about weather d.c. And maryland is the north or south is interesting. To me anywhere theirs a large amount of rural blacks is the south and maryland has a large rural black population. The chesapeake was a breeding ground for slaves after tabacco prices fell. Thats why their are so many lighted skinned blacks in the d.c. Area. Our first great migration was in the 19th century with freed slaves arriaving from rural maryland and virginia. These people established the black elite in d.c. And baltimore, their offsprings are names like charles drew, thourgood marshall, sen. Eward brooke's, duke ellington and many others. Howard university was the premier college and dunbar high school was the premier colored school where blacks from all across the country would do anything to get their children enrolled.
Bottom line is that washington's black elite has been well established since the 19th century while atlanta's is a early 20th century product. Most of the bi-product of washington,s black elite reside in montgomery county, howard county, upper northwest d.c. And northern virginia. Prince george's county and souhteast d.c. Has some of the historically elite but the majority consist of blacks who came up from north carolina in the 20th century dividing lighted blacks from darker blacks and old money blacks from new money blacks. Valerie jarret, barack obama's advisor and susan rice, u.n. Ambassador are products of old washington,s black elite. Roberta flack and sugar ray leonard, are part of the newer north carolina migrant class.
But for current stats on which is the premier black city check out black enterprise list of 100 top businesses. The d.c. And maryland area usually consists of twenty to twenty five percent of the companies. Black radio and black television is headquarted in the area with radio one, tv one and bet. Three of the top ten richest african americans are from the area and none are entertainers. Howard university is and probably will always be the premier black university. No other university has as many graduate schools as howard. You would have to combine all the black schools in atlanta just to match howard's enrollment. To sum it up atlanta is just newer and up and coming.
this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Nobody said anything about people not liking each other. We are respectful to each other still. The point is, you can tell who is from the ATL and who isn't. A transplant in DC and the ATL is not from these cities. They don't know the culture and standout from people who grew up in these cities. True ATL people represent the deep south. The deep south is Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi etc. They don't claim NC or Va etc. People from the south are the ones that talk about Atlanta being the black capital. People from the north or Mid Atlantic don't feel that way. DC has been chocolate city for 50 years. Atlanta just started to grow when Delta and the Olympics came as a black mecca.
Maybe I misunderstood you but I think this is way off. I'm a native Atlantan and I don't think that GA (Blacks) rolls with AL and MS but connects with SC and FLA instead (the deep South is only 6 states).

What area(s) of Atlanta did you go to? I have more in common with my Florida people than I do with AL/MS folk. There aren't many first generation Atlantans who really affiliate the way that you're talking about. That may sound a little off but I personally don't know many people from AL/MS...I'm going to stop here but I just had to let you know that we don't represent for them. They may rep us but...Let me stop.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
There is no capital of Black America/thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
There is no capital of Black America/thread
I concur.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You know what, I really shouldn't because all of them aren't on the same level. My sister goes to an HBCU and she certainly doesn't act like this. But I'll say that most of the younger Black cats who went to college who divide Black people up in such superficial categories usually went to HBCUs, but they tended to be the HBCUs towards the bottom of the food chain, so to speak--like the one my uncle attended (which shall remain nameless...I'll just say it's a private institution in NC) and advised me not to go to, LOL.
You wouldn't happen to be referring to any "stones" now would you? LOL.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I really hate to say this, but it's just plainly obvious that you went to an HBCU. And I'll just leave it at that.
Damn.....I felt that.

Maybe it's because I go to an HBCU! lol

Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
I think there is a differnce in the culture at HBCUs. I don't think its bad to go to one. I actually think everyone should. However, I think the marketing of HBCUs needs to be different, and blacks who go to them should treasure the fact that they are going to an elite school and should view themselves as such. And not view it as a school for hooligan and crazy behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City