Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 03:49 PM

451 posts, read 364,593 times

Advertisements

From this white guy's perspective, its Atlanta in a landslide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 07:13 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Just curious, but out of the areas on the list, which have suburban communities with a long time, high percentage and middle class black population? I’m asking because I came across this old yearbook from a suburban HS in Westchester County outside of NYC: https://www.city-data.com/forum/57909563-post270.html

This is another one for a suburban community/SD in Nassau County on Long Island from 1968: https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ye.../16348?page=56 (on a side note, for those who remember the TV show “Who’s The Boss?”, its star is actually in the yearbook)
This community is in that district: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/LND110210

Old 04-25-2020, 07:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
From this white guy's perspective, its Atlanta in a landslide
Two conclusions this helps me to reach/solidify:

1) Atlanta's marketing and self-promotion efforts of the past 50 years (the post-Civil Rights Movement era onward), which initially centered on its more progressive attitude in matters of race compared to other Southern cities and evolved into showcasing its status as a premier hub of Black cultural, political, and economic influence, has been quite successful and gone well beyond its originally intended audience (big-name corporate business interests).

2) Despite the fact that its Black history and the achievements of its Black population mirror, and in a couple of respects even surpasses, Atlanta's, DC isn't popularly perceived as a Black capital in the same way because it was purposely built to be our national capital and that status is by far its most dominant identity and probably always will be. The federal government as the city's built-in, permanent industry precluded the need for aggressive marketing and self-promotion to lure businesses (and even so, if the city had undertaken such an effort, it probably would have occurred after the late 70s when home rule officially began in DC), so the city is mostly known for what it was created to be and that's about it. The only time this might have been otherwise is during the height of the crack epidemic when it was known as the Murder Capital of the country, and even though it's violent crime rate is high today, that unsavory title is definitely a thing of the past and its post-Recession performance has only solidified its status as our relatively stable capital city--and made it a target of the ire of much of the rest of the country in the process as it even prospered in those years.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-25-2020 at 07:24 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 02:02 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I don't think that map is very accurate. It looks more like a general map of the migration flow without providing any sources to backup the claim that Socal Blacks came from Texas and NorCal Blacks came from Louisiana. I make that statement based off a couple of reasons.

1.My family for instance have family members in both Norcal and Socal. On both sides of my family. They're pretty much all over the Bay Area and LA.

2. When we would visit my Aunt(she was elderly around this time)in Palo Alto we use to attend her church in East Palo Alto. The first time we went to her church we had to introduce ourselves and tell everybody where we were from. After that the church members(mostly elderly Black women) had a meet and greet with us and more than half were originally from Texas or had a Parent that lived in Texas.

Bottom line I believe both areas of Cali have a ton of lineage from Louisiana and Texas. I think it's hard to tell which regions received the bulk of what over the other. Like I can go down a list of famous and infamous Cali people in either region with Texas or Louisiana roots.

Los Angeles:
Johnnie Cochran(LA)
Richard Williams-Serena Williams Dad(LA)
Wallace and Walter Scott-The Whispers (TX)
Leaveil Degree-The Whispers(TX)
Tookie Williams-Co-Founder of the Crips (LA)
WC (TX)
Yo-Yo (TX)
Michel'le (LA)
Raymond Washington-Co-Founder of the Crips (TX)
Forest Whitaker (TX) (I grew up with his cousins actually)
Mayor Tom Bradley (TX)
Sanyika Shakur aka Monster Kody (TX)
Reggie White (LA)
Casey Veggies (TX)
The Sylvers (LA)
Boogaloo Shrimp(LA)
Rick Ross(TX)

Bay Area:
Fillmore Slim (LA)
E-40 (TX & LA)
Raphael Saadiq (LA)
Mayor Willie Brown (TX)
Huey P. Newton (LA)
Bobby Seal (TX)
Elouise Westbrook (TX)
Spice 1 (TX)
Kathleen Cleaver (TX)
Paul Mooney(LA)
Mark Curry (TX) (I know some of his cousins)
Ryan Coogler (TX)
Sly Stone (TX)
Bill Russel (LA)
Brian Shaw (TX) (my cousin)
C.L. Dellums (TX)
Barbara Lee (TX)
Belva Davis (LA)
Willie Ratcliff (TX)
It is a very general map. Obviously so...hence the broad arrow strokes.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:44 AM

15 posts, read 7,394 times
ATL for sure.

*Tyler Perry studios is located on former confederate army base.
*HBCU’s
*Black Hollywood
*Most of the hip hop musicians we heard before or currently listening are from there.
*Some black musicians have their own businesses like restaurants and clothing stores there.
*High population of black entrepreneurs.
*Popular relocation destination for a black person or black family to start a new life.
*Accepting to black gay people.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:43 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Two conclusions this helps me to reach/solidify:

1) Atlanta's marketing and self-promotion efforts of the past 50 years (the post-Civil Rights Movement era onward), which initially centered on its more progressive attitude in matters of race compared to other Southern cities and evolved into showcasing its status as a premier hub of Black cultural, political, and economic influence, has been quite successful and gone well beyond its originally intended audience (big-name corporate business interests).

2) Despite the fact that its Black history and the achievements of its Black population mirror, and in a couple of respects even surpasses, Atlanta's, DC isn't popularly perceived as a Black capital in the same way because it was purposely built to be our national capital and that status is by far its most dominant identity and probably always will be. The federal government as the city's built-in, permanent industry precluded the need for aggressive marketing and self-promotion to lure businesses (and even so, if the city had undertaken such an effort, it probably would have occurred after the late 70s when home rule officially began in DC), so the city is mostly known for what it was created to be and that's about it. The only time this might have been otherwise is during the height of the crack epidemic when it was known as the Murder Capital of the country, and even though it's violent crime rate is high today, that unsavory title is definitely a thing of the past and its post-Recession performance has only solidified its status as our relatively stable capital city--and made it a target of the ire of much of the rest of the country in the process as it even prospered in those years.
I agree with this post.

If Maryland was smarter, it would copy what Atlanta/Georgia does and actively try to attract black transplants to Baltimore and the rest of the state, using Prince George's County and proximity to DC as attractions. I always thought Maryland as a state is still underrated for black people.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:15 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I agree with this post.

If Maryland was smarter, it would copy what Atlanta/Georgia does and actively try to attract black transplants to Baltimore and the rest of the state, using Prince George's County and proximity to DC as attractions. I always thought Maryland as a state is still underrated for black people.
There's Black wealth in Baltimore though at least surrounding it. Baltimore City is just a piece of it's own metro area. Maryland may not get notoriety in the lime light like Atlanta and Georgia do, but it's hardly underrated by those in the know. Maryland has the most educated Black population by percentage as a state, and is among the wealthiest. It's true that Atlanta markets itself better, but Maryland never had to being where it's located. It won't be copying Atlanta. If anything places like DeKalb County are like a copy of Prince George's etc.

Also for those bringing up HBCU's, just DC and Maryland alone have 6 HBCU's.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:38 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There's Black wealth in Baltimore though at least surrounding it. Baltimore City is just a piece of it's own metro area. Maryland may not get notoriety in the lime light like Atlanta and Georgia do, but it's hardly underrated by those in the know. Maryland has the most educated Black population by percentage as a state, and is among the wealthiest. It's true that Atlanta markets itself better, but Maryland never had to being where it's located. It won't be copying Atlanta. If anything places like DeKalb County are like a copy of Prince George's etc.

Also for those bringing up HBCU's, just DC and Maryland alone have 6 HBCU's.
True. I'm originally from NJ and while DC/Maryland is well known in Black America (Howard, PG, etc.) it seems that everyone wants to move to Atlanta/is more in tune with Atlanta's culture. Alot of us, like the rest of America, viewed Baltimore negatively as well. Maryland advertising itself better could do the state good. I also do think an influx of middle/high income black transplants would be especially beneficial for Baltimore City.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:19 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
True. I'm originally from NJ and while DC/Maryland is well known in Black America (Howard, PG, etc.) it seems that everyone wants to move to Atlanta/is more in tune with Atlanta's culture. Alot of us, like the rest of America, viewed Baltimore negatively as well. Maryland advertising itself better could do the state good. I also do think an influx of middle/high income black transplants would be especially beneficial for Baltimore City.
I’m going to say something that may surprise some people, but the moving to Atlanta thing is kind of “played out” in regards to some black people. For instance, the move for a lot black Upstate NYers is Charlotte, with some going to Raleigh and DC, among some others. Just in my family, those that moved out of state went to Charlotte(by way of PG County), Charles County MD(Waldorf) and Virginia Beach. I dare say the sibling that moved to suburban Rochester(their spouse actually grew up in the same SD), may be the most “successful”. So, it depends and shows that people will go anywhere.

This isn’t to say Atlanta isn’t going to still get people, but I think many are starting to branch out in terms of moving to new places now, big and small.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:24 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’m going to say something that may surprise some people, but the moving to Atlanta thing is kind of “played out” in regards to some black people. For instance, the move for a lot black Upstate NYers is Charlotte, with some going to Raleigh and DC, among some others. Just in my family, those that moved out of state went to Charlotte(by way of PG County), Charles County MD(Waldorf) and Virginia Beach. I dare say the sibling that moved to suburban Rochester(their spouse actually grew up in the same SD), may be the most “successful”. So, it depends and shows that people will go anywhere.

This isn’t to say Atlanta isn’t going to still get people, but I think many are starting to branch out in terms of moving to new places now, big and small.
Atlanta still has the perception as everybody black's favorite city from decades of carefully constructed marketing and popularity. But I agree, its influence has waned; particularly as I approach 31 I have the perspective now of being an adult for over a decade and I've watched it change as the Carolinas and Florida and Nashville have risen as hotspots for relocating blacks as well...

Atlanta is still one of the top dogs without a doubt but the perception has been slow to catch on to reality. It was more popular for "us" in 2010 and 2000 than it is today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City