Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:10 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,106,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep.

Seen it, but cannot remember name.

Can you post it here?
Found it ! http://depts.washington.edu/moving1/...8DypvGCCE4LJ6W

@murksiderock & @BostonBornMassMade

I think you'll recognize the pattern & scale migration to y'all region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 12:56 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true, but Atlanta has been THE top Reverse Migration destination city for Blacks every decade since 1970, easily. The 2020s could possibly be the first decade that it's not.
Which will be the top in your opinion/prediction?

Old 04-27-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Found it ! http://depts.washington.edu/moving1/...8DypvGCCE4LJ6W

@murksiderock & @BostonBornMassMade

I think you'll recognize the pattern & scale migration to y'all region.
Thanks. But the link did not go anywhere...

Old 04-27-2020, 01:04 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Dallas would be the top contender if it happens.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dallas would be the top contender if it happens.
Interesante.

We shall see...

Old 04-27-2020, 02:41 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times
Quote:
I can see Houston for singles.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I can see Houston for singles.
Although the effects of this pandemic will be felt across the board, Houston is starting this decade off in a more vulnerable economic position due to oil price wars which makes for a double whammy and will most likely put a bigger damper on migration rates there compared to other cities.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/ho...ared-oil-bust/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/u...texas-oil.html

Old 04-27-2020, 05:09 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,563,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I agree with this post.

If Maryland was smarter, it would copy what Atlanta/Georgia does and actively try to attract black transplants to Baltimore and the rest of the state, using Prince George's County and proximity to DC as attractions. I always thought Maryland as a state is still underrated for black people.
MD is underrated. It offers a lot to both Northerners and Southerners....everyone really. Most people in this diaspora know about MD, DC, and Bmore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There's Black wealth in Baltimore though at least surrounding it. Baltimore City is just a piece of it's own metro area. Maryland may not get notoriety in the lime light like Atlanta and Georgia do, but it's hardly underrated by those in the know. Maryland has the most educated Black population by percentage as a state, and is among the wealthiest. It's true that Atlanta markets itself better, but Maryland never had to being where it's located. It won't be copying Atlanta. If anything places like DeKalb County are like a copy of Prince George's etc.

Also for those bringing up HBCU's, just DC and Maryland alone have 6 HBCU's.
That's true, MD doesn't have the loud pub like ATL but that's okay. It has a lot of qualities of value that I see in GA and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’m going to say something that may surprise some people, but the moving to Atlanta thing is kind of “played out” in regards to some black people. For instance, the move for a lot black Upstate NYers is Charlotte, with some going to Raleigh and DC, among some others. Just in my family, those that moved out of state went to Charlotte(by way of PG County), Charles County MD(Waldorf) and Virginia Beach. I dare say the sibling that moved to suburban Rochester(their spouse actually grew up in the same SD), may be the most “successful”. So, it depends and shows that people will go anywhere.

This isn’t to say Atlanta isn’t going to still get people, but I think many are starting to branch out in terms of moving to new places now, big and small.
I know what you mean by played out. ATL has been booming since the 70s I think (that's when my parents and some relatives moved here from Up North and the Midwest) and has been attracting people ever since. One mark against ATL is that it's proximity to other great cities isn't close to whatever Maryland or Virginia (RVA or Hampton Roads) metro area one is in. There's the Bay and Atlantic Ocean, mountain areas, rural, suburbs, city, and great daytrips. That's attractive to people.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I know what you mean by played out. ATL has been booming since the 70s I think (that's when my parents and some relatives moved here from Up North and the Midwest) and has been attracting people ever since. One mark against ATL is that it's proximity to other great cities isn't close to whatever Maryland or Virginia (RVA or Hampton Roads) metro area one is in. There's the Bay and Atlantic Ocean, mountain areas, rural, suburbs, city, and great daytrips. That's attractive to people.
Absolutely; it's a feature of living in the Bos-Wash corridor that I have truly come to value and appreciate. Atlanta isn't terribly far from Charlotte and Nashville, but there are no other major metros nearby.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:41 AM

93,419 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting, as in NY we got a lot of FL migration due to migrant farmers leaving places like Belle Glade, Pahokee and places in Central FL like Sanford, Kissimmee, Ocala, etc. Then they would go to places like say Elizabeth City NC or others along the way before they got to migrant farm camps in NJ, on Long Island(mainly the Hamptons or the North Fork and Upstate(some of the small towns/cities in between the bigger cities). Some from the other states along the way came as well. This is a form of migration that doesn't get talked about much, but quite a few came North this way, then once they got established, they worked in manufacturing or started businesses in the bigger cities/areas.

If people are interested and have time, this is a very good video that illustrates this form of migration that was made in 1960:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BMWltIclg

While some from the Caribbean were migrant farmers(mainly Jamaicans around Plattsburgh/the Adirondacks, etc.), many were/are African American too.
This article gives a perfect example of this: https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...-pandemic.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City