Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 12:57 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Atlantas cool. I'm thrilled it exist its so important for Black Americans. I could see its not everyones speed though. i'm not crazy for it and Ik not everyone is but definitely have heard more about it positively than Houston.

Murkside^what do people who visit Houston like? What does one do or see there?
I don't know, I haven't been there. Only been told by several people over the years that they'd think I'd fit in Houston, thinks it's kinda "my style"...

The other two places I've never been to that I've been told this about are Chicago and Queens. I've been to NYC but not to Queens specifically, and it and Chicago I've also heard from multiple people, over time, that I seem like I'd be a Chicago or Queens "kind of guy"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 12:57 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Ive never heard one person visit Houston and say they "love it". but if you say so...lol At best Ive heard is "meh,,,ok."
I hear people talk about how they love Houston a lot in real life.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:21 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't know, I haven't been there. Only been told by several people over the years that they'd think I'd fit in Houston, thinks it's kinda "my style"...

The other two places I've never been to that I've been told this about are Chicago and Queens. I've been to NYC but not to Queens specifically, and it and Chicago I've also heard from multiple people, over time, that I seem like I'd be a Chicago or Queens "kind of guy"...
Chicago and Queens seem very similar (been to Queens a few times and really like it). Houston does not seem as similar.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:07 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Absolutely.You dont think Ive heard them? The difference is with Atlanta its not a recurring theme.Houston its always about it being so spread out. Like I said its never nothing that just terrible but never heard anybody ecited about Houston accept on City Data, Dallas and Atlanta I hear a lot more positives. Im not just picking on Houston but it lags in its urbanity and I think thats where a lot of the negativity comes from.
Dallas has invested in a lot more and you can tell by the difference in every poll when Houston ,Atlanta or Dalllas are mentioned,Houston is always usually last.
Dallas and Houston were a lot more alike decades ago.Dallas seems to have pulled away in popularity and notoriety
I don’t think Houston lags that much behind these two cities in urbanity. They got to the party late but they have rapidly been catching up over the past few years. Atlanta and Dallas built you districts adjacent to their downtown. Houston took a different approach for better or for worse. What it has not done is marketed itself, as already mentioned. You can say all three cities are characterized by its industry. Both Dallas and Atlanta have always been more trendy than Houston as well. My thing is if people are pointing out the spread out nature of Houston, it certainly isn’t in its own company in the sunbelt. Not to mention, while everything is not in core, the vast majority of activities are either inside the loop or in Uptown. Dallas is actually also built similarly the same way but to a lesser extent.

But you did take some shots at the city though.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:42 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Ive never heard one person visit Houston and say they "love it". but if you say so...lol At best Ive heard is "meh,,,ok."
The reason wny people have issues with Houston is as a city,it represents the worst thing about America. Big,excessive and wasteful.Its got one of the most out of shape populations its urbanity isis lack luster at best and for its size,there is not a whole lot to do thats unique.
Its not a bad place but for all its growth and success threes not much about it that stands out.

My cousin moved from Atlanta where she had been since college.She needed a change so she picked Houston.Its been about 3 years and last year after initially liking it found herself bored. She is mid 30s professional and single.I told her that she wouldn' t like it because I know her well.
When she told me she was leaving, we even argued about it because she thought I was being negative when all I was doing was raising questions.
Well all the things I said to her slowly came true.She doesnt hate it but wish she had stayed in Atlanta. In her exact words "its so country",She got bored after about a year and a half but is hanging in there.Like I said,its decent place with enough but it gets old and typical after a while
Im just giving my best reason why. Dont come at me for weighing in
I’m not a Houston homer but I hear transplants all the time rant and rave about Houston. Honestly you should hear the comments some transplants say about Atlanta when I moved there?

“Why you move here? You shoulda came 10 years ago.” “You moved from Houston? You shoulda stayed, too much ratchet behavior in the A.” For the record me and my Wife enjoyed living in Atlanta and we moved there solely due to our careers not necessarily because we felt Atlanta was better than Houston.

With that said, Houston has some things I don’t like(all cities do)but if your bored in Houston or any big city for that matter it’s not the city. IT’S YOU. And the country jab really? What makes Houston more country than Atlanta?

Atlanta and Houston are very similar in what they offer for Black professionals. Hell I hear Black Women generally nowadays say they like Houston better than Atlanta because the dating scene is better according to them. We’ve all heard the DL Men “pandemic” in Atlanta(I think it’s exaggerated) but than again I’m a hereto male so what do I know. Bottom line as much as I enjoy Atlanta and do agree it’s more urban than Houston in its core, you still need a car to get around and in no way are these 2 sprawling metros night and day from each other. Unless your in the entertainment industry.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:46 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

It's a bit hard to pin down your type of city but at minimum, it seems to be metros of 1M+ with a semblance of bigger city urbanity and a critical mass of Black folks...and one where you haven't had bad personal experiences that have colored your entire perception of the place. Before making your opinions known about them, I would've thought for sure you were a fan of Atlanta, Raleigh, Durham, and Winston-Salem. It's not that you dislike the Triangle but your opinion is very nuanced, and you just seem dismissive of Winston-Salem (and maybe even the Triad at large) altogether. I don't think I've seen you speak too highly of cities that anchor MSAs less than 1M in general.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:54 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I’m not a Houston homer but I hear transplants all the time rant and rave about Houston. Honestly you should hear the comments some transplants say about Atlanta when I moved there?

“Why you move here? You shoulda came 10 years ago.” “You moved from Houston? You shoulda stayed, too much ratchet behavior in the A.” For the record me and my Wife enjoyed living in Atlanta and we moved there solely due to our careers not necessarily because we felt Atlanta was better than Houston.

With that said, Houston has some things I don’t like(all cities do)but if your bored in Houston or any big city for that matter it’s not the city. IT’S YOU. And the country jab really? What makes Houston more country than Atlanta?

Atlanta and Houston are very similar in what they offer for Black professionals. Hell I hear Black Women generally nowadays say they like Houston better than Atlanta because the dating scene is better according to them. We’ve all heard the DL Men “pandemic” in Atlanta(I think it’s exaggerated) but than again I’m a hereto male so what do I know. Bottom line as much as I enjoy Atlanta and do agree it’s more urban than Houston in its core, you still need a car to get around and in no way are these 2 sprawling metros night and day from each other. Unless your in the entertainment industry.
Yeah Atlanta is definitely more polarizing than Houston among Black folks. DC is unique in that Black folks tend to like it but it's more polarizing for White folks; the career-driven populace seems to be more off-putting for them and in some ways it can be for Black folks but we mostly see it as the desire to achieve success professionally and unfortunately that's just not very common in American cities for historical and structural reasons.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:29 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Absolutely.You dont think Ive heard them? The difference is with Atlanta its not a recurring theme.Houston its always about it being so spread out. Like I said its never nothing that just terrible but never heard anybody ecited about Houston accept on City Data, Dallas and Atlanta I hear a lot more positives. Im not just picking on Houston but it lags in its urbanity and I think thats where a lot of the negativity comes from.
Dallas has invested in a lot more and you can tell by the difference in every poll when Houston ,Atlanta or Dalllas are mentioned,Houston is always usually last.
Dallas and Houston were a lot more alike decades ago.Dallas seems to have pulled away in popularity and notoriety
The anti Atlanta bashing is actually a recurring theme on YouTube and the comments in YouTube. I noticed most are from Black Women though so there’s that. As far as the polls and urbanity, I think the average Black person cares less about that than people on city data. Even if it’s noticeably different when comparing a Chicago to a Houston. Not as noticeable when comparing Houston to Dallas or Atlanta. And I agree Houston would be 3rd in urbanity on that list however Houston’s social scene is definitely more centralized and pronounce in the cities core than Dallas. All that urbanity goes out the window if you can’t enjoy a plethora of Black spaces in that sea of vibrancy. You can do that in Atlanta though and you can do it in Houston. Now I agree socially Atlanta would be my top choice as far as black spaces and I’ve heard my share of negative comments from some Atlanta natives on how “slower” Houston social scene is in comparison to Atlanta. (My Wife’s cousin from Atlanta likes Houston but shades it when comparing it to Atlanta. Mind you she lives in Ellenwood ugh) But Houston imo while not tourist friendly, when you do things like the locals it’s a top 5 destination for Black people in my book.
But if you don’t believe that Atlanta doesn’t have a huge share of haters just pick anyone of these videos to sort through the negativity. Granted all cities have negative videos and Atlanta is a popular destination so it’ll welcome more vids but by far Atlanta has a lot more negative comments than positive. I still love Atlanta but it definitely ain’t for everybody.

https://youtu.be/9DuwcTmQMhE

https://youtu.be/yv9T-SPeU4A

https://youtu.be/lkjwb2sT8rI

https://youtu.be/nRzqkksz28I

https://youtu.be/_U9GEo4zr-M

https://youtu.be/kIxal-rXvlY

https://youtu.be/OPYzwbnvZIY

https://youtu.be/376fn3MMWe8

Old 05-01-2020, 06:46 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's a bit hard to pin down your type of city but at minimum, it seems to be metros of 1M+ with a semblance of bigger city urbanity and a critical mass of Black folks...and one where you haven't had bad personal experiences that have colored your entire perception of the place. Before making your opinions known about them, I would've thought for sure you were a fan of Atlanta, Raleigh, Durham, and Winston-Salem. It's not that you dislike the Triangle but your opinion is very nuanced, and you just seem dismissive of Winston-Salem (and maybe even the Triad at large) altogether. I don't think I've seen you speak too highly of cities that anchor MSAs less than 1M in general.
Well you've for sure interacted with me enough over the years that you have as good a handle as anyone on what my interests and tastes are, feel like I've known you forever lol. And if you say it's hard to tell what I like, you're the second person in as many days to tell me that---->my homegirl told me yesterday that I'm difficult to please. Ha, I guess yall can't both be lying!

There are a few cities below a million that I enjoy (Albany, Knoxville, Syracuse), but they are too small for me to voluntarily live there, that's true. I gotta have some size and I think my ideal sweet spot are the cities that are currently in the 2m-3m range, though most of those cities are continuing to grow. But that's the perfect weight class for me, I feel balanced in that range and I've been to enough of those cities to have a strong opinion about it...

There are definitely some cities below that weight that I could live in and/or thoroughly enjoy (Richmond, Virginia Beach, Buffalo, Rochester), but they after awhile I feel like my personality outgrows them, they just aren't ideal size; and there are larger cities I'd definitely live in and enjoy (chiefly LA and DC) as well. They aren't too large and I feel like I fit both, there is moreso the checks and balances in regards to financial quality of life living in those two, I'd move to back to LA tomorrow if I had it like that and I think it's the greatest city in the country, and I've turned down an offer to move to back to DC a few years ago as the salary didn't match my expectation...

I have a love hate relationship with the Carolinas. In general, the cities aren't large enough, urban enough, or diverse enough for me, though Charlotte is a clear outlier there and you know I love the city. The Triangle for me, I can appreciate the black success around here, but that's about the only redeemable quality for me. It's by far the most suburban place of size I've ever lived in or even visited, which grates on my nerves, and it adds nothing else unique to my emotional well being by living here. It isn't bad, and as mentioned many times I don't hate it, but it's time to go and that time is approaching here imminently. I was in Winston last week, I really don't get the hoopla for that place on here. Downtown is nice I guess, but its standard Carolina boringness, but I've also not felt the excitement for other places (Little Rock, Atlanta, Boston) that get a ton of positive reviews on here and/or in the real world offline...

I love cities with strong and distinct black culture, I think one of the things I've learned with age is that nearly everywhere we are, we created and have that. Charlotte checks the most boxes for me at this time, and as old as I'm getting lol, I'm young enough that I think that could change in the future. It certainly isn't my optimum level of urbanity and I do take issue with the relative lack of colorful and unique neighborhoods that many cities its size have, as well as the fact that the eccentric and creative culture of the city isn't as pronounced as it is in others, but it checks the most boxes, I've lived there before and loved it, and most importantly it puts me in the best proximity to my daughters at this time...

But I guess I am a mixed bag, Mute. I don't know that there's a perfect city for me, I know enough to say I don't believe Charlotte is my perfect match, there's just cities that meet most criteria for me, cities that meet the baseline, and cities that can't even meet that!

Old 05-01-2020, 07:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I hear people talk about how they love Houston a lot in real life.
Living there yes, I have heard thhat but not to visit.Not once
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City