Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 07:14 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
^^^
And home ownership of these neighborhoods?
I don’t have all of that, but I’m assuming that it would be pretty high for most of them.

Ironically, a place I should of included in Oakwood next to Bedford and Bedford Heights, was in the previous black homeownership website. This is in a census tract covering Oakwood that is 58% black and has a median household income of about $58k: https://goo.gl/maps/kVaEcHX9kHPvekSeA

Parts of nearby Solon and Twinsburg(actually Akron metro) have middle class areas with a black percentage range of 10-20%, with one middle class block group in Solon at 36%.

So, it looks like this is an area that has at least one example of high black homeownership and may be expanding in regards to having a continuous area of mixed with substantial black to predominantly black middle class areas within it. While it may not be considered like usually areas, this area of the Cleveland/NE Ohio area is pretty significant in size.

Just to add to this, this source https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-middle-class/ shows that for a family of 4, the lowest household income figure for the area is $47,073. For a family of 3 it is $40,766. So, this helps set a bar from lower middle class and up.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-01-2020 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:43 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I don’t get it. Lol. The city has definitely taken some hits. To have been in an oil slump for almost 6 years and to have had been hit with major flooding event, the city is sill growing. Maybe, it’s city itself that’s keeping the area afloat because when people visit, they love it.
Ive never heard one person visit Houston and say they "love it". but if you say so...lol At best Ive heard is "meh,,,ok."
The reason wny people have issues with Houston is as a city,it represents the worst thing about America. Big,excessive and wasteful.Its got one of the most out of shape populations its urbanity isis lack luster at best and for its size,there is not a whole lot to do thats unique.
Its not a bad place but for all its growth and success threes not much about it that stands out.

My cousin moved from Atlanta where she had been since college.She needed a change so she picked Houston.Its been about 3 years and last year after initially liking it found herself bored. She is mid 30s professional and single.I told her that she wouldn' t like it because I know her well.
When she told me she was leaving, we even argued about it because she thought I was being negative when all I was doing was raising questions.
Well all the things I said to her slowly came true.She doesnt hate it but wish she had stayed in Atlanta. In her exact words "its so country",She got bored after about a year and a half but is hanging in there.Like I said,its decent place with enough but it gets old and typical after a while
Im just giving my best reason why. Dont come at me for weighing in

Old 05-01-2020, 10:59 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Ive never heard one person visit Houston and say they "love it". but if you say so...lol At best Ive heard is "meh,,,ok."
The reason wny people have issues with Houston is as a city,it represents the worst thing about America. Big,excessive and wasteful.Its got one of the most out of shape populations its urbanity isis lack luster at best and for its size,there is not a whole lot to do thats unique.
Its not a bad place but for all its growth and success threes not much about it that stands out.

My cousin moved from Atlanta where she had been since college.She needed a change so she picked Houston.Its been about 3 years and last year after initially liking it found herself bored. She is mid 30s professional and single.I told her that she wouldn' t like it because I know her well.
When she told me she was leaving, we even argued about it because she thought I was being negative when all I was doing was raising questions.
Well all the things I said to her slowly came true.She doesnt hate it but wish she had stayed in Atlanta. In her exact words "its so country",She got bored after about a year and a half but is hanging in there.Like I said,its decent place with enough but it gets old and typical after a while
Just as much as you understand that people have those same opinions about Atlanta, right?

Old 05-01-2020, 11:07 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:

For once I agree with Clever One-definitely never heard anyone visit Houston and say they love it. Most dont have anything positive to say except..well, stripclubs and big houses. I want to visit out of curiosity but don't even know what id do or see there.

I definitely do think about some of the worst parts of American culture when I think of Houston-but I also think of some of the best parts (freedom, convenience, diversity, commerce)

Old 05-01-2020, 11:32 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Opposite reaction here, everybody I've known who has been to Houston swears by it. I lived in Atlanta and could make my own opinion, definitely not worth the price if admission, and I've been told I would really enjoy Houston. No desire whatsoever to live there and only a faint desire to visit, but that's what I've heard. And definitely have met people who didn't like Atlanta, though to be completely truthful, many more people love it than dislike it...

Old 05-01-2020, 11:49 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Atlantas cool. I'm thrilled it exist its so important for Black Americans. I could see its not everyones speed though. i'm not crazy for it and Ik not everyone is but definitely have heard more about it positively than Houston.

Murkside^what do people who visit Houston like? What does one do or see there?

Old 05-01-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Just as much as you understand that people have those same opinions about Atlanta, right?
Absolutely.You dont think Ive heard them? The difference is with Atlanta its not a recurring theme.Houston its always about it being so spread out. Like I said its never nothing that just terrible but never heard anybody ecited about Houston accept on City Data, Dallas and Atlanta I hear a lot more positives. Im not just picking on Houston but it lags in its urbanity and I think thats where a lot of the negativity comes from.
Dallas has invested in a lot more and you can tell by the difference in every poll when Houston ,Atlanta or Dalllas are mentioned,Houston is always usually last.
Dallas and Houston were a lot more alike decades ago.Dallas seems to have pulled away in popularity and notoriety

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-01-2020 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-01-2020, 12:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
There's a difference between one's perspective as a visitor to a particular city and as a resident of a particular city.

Like CleverOne, I've never really heard of people who visited Houston who ranted and raved about it but the people who live there definitely speak positively of it. It's one of those places that isn't all that tourist-friendly but a pretty good place to live and that makes sense when you think about it. Houston's strengths--good jobs, low COL, diversity, cuisine, cultural venues--tend to appeal more to people who live there than people who visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Atlantas cool. I'm thrilled it exist its so important for Black Americans. I could see its not everyones speed though. i'm not crazy for it and Ik not everyone is but definitely have heard more about it positively than Houston.
I'm so glad you can make this distinction. You don't have to particularly be enthralled with a city to recognize its strengths and assets that give it a certain identity and stature in certain respects. Folks on C-D tend to take both their likes and dislikes of certain places a bit too seriously.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Opposite reaction here, everybody I've known who has been to Houston swears by it. I lived in Atlanta and could make my own opinion, definitely not worth the price if admission, and I've been told I would really enjoy Houston. No desire whatsoever to live there and only a faint desire to visit, but that's what I've heard. And definitely have met people who didn't like Atlanta, though to be completely truthful, many more people love it than dislike it...

I should make a correction.My cousin liked but it when she first visited.That is why she wound up moving there but she regretted it.Not so much that she hates it but just thought she had a more complete life in Atlanta but just needed a change

Old 05-01-2020, 12:47 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Absolutely.You dont think Ive heard them? The difference is with Atlanta its not a recurring theme.Houston its always about it being so spread out. Like I said its never nothing that just terrible but never heard anybody ecited about Houston accept on City Data, Dallas and Atlanta I hear a lot more positives. Im not just picking on Houston but it lags in its urbanity and I think thats where a lot of the negativity comes from.
Dallas has invested in a lot more and you can tell by the difference in every poll when Houston ,Atlanta or Dalllas are mentioned,Houston is always usually last.
Houston absolutely sucks when it comes to marketing itself which is pretty perplexing given all that it offers for visitors, even if it's not all centralized in the urban core and easily accessible and even Houstonians themselves will acknowledge that as one of the city's weaknesses. Conversely, Atlanta wrote the book on marketing and self-promotion and intentionally established itself as a major hub for conventions/large gatherings and a regional tourist extended/holiday weekend-type destination and has been very successful at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City