Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 03:10 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Essence is arguably the #1 Black cultural festival in the country. Aside from that, there's also the Jazz festival.
Agreed! Essence is a big deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 04:17 PM

719 posts, read 492,580 times
Quote:
Essence is easily one of the biggest cultural festivals in the country and is arguably the biggest Black cultural event. The Jazz festival is also worth mentioning.

A few others:

As far as new festivals go, this one looks like it could be a good time.
GHOE trumps EVERYTHING!

Old 05-01-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Essence is easily one of the biggest cultural festivals in the country and is arguably the biggest Black cultural event. The Jazz festival is also worth mentioning.

A few others:

As far as new festivals go, this one looks like it could be a good time.
Nice! Here are a few more in DC:

Funk Parade

Hookie Weekend

Also, H Street Festival is all local DC culture which is obviously Black:

H Street Festival

Old 05-02-2022, 04:56 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston is not in this discussion. It’s not a capital of black America- just New England which is only 1/47th of Black America..it is however a capital of white america.

All of those festivals survived though. You also Missed the Roxbury Unity Parade https://www.baystatebanner.com/bsb-e...arade-weekend/ and Juneteenth(Roxbury Homecoming) https://www.baystatebanner.com/galle...ry-homecoming/

Where do you live now?
i know. the question was:
pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Does any city in America have larger Black festivals with Black culture and talent than DC?

Broccoli City Festival May 6-8th, 2022

Something in the Water June 17-19th, 2022

Howard Homecoming October 2022
Quote:
Over 100,000 of alumni, students, celebrity guests, and visitors are in attendance to patronize the many events and attractions affiliated with the festive week on and near campus.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_University

Quote:
Today it attract an estimated 500,000 visitors each year and continues to grow.
Boston Carnival Village

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 05-02-2022 at 05:05 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 05:11 AM

817 posts, read 626,876 times
Capital of Black America by region:

West - Las Vegas

South - Atlanta

Midwest - Chicago

Northeast - DC

Old 05-02-2022, 06:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
^^^ Oakland > Vegas.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:27 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
I'm not reading all 93 pages.

DC

It's Chocolate City
https://youtu.be/DZaVA3NS7zE

Old 05-02-2022, 06:46 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
I'm afraid that, even though Blacks still wield political power there, DC's become White Chocolate City since that legendary Parliament album was released.

As of the 2020 Census, Blacks make up a mere plurality (41.4 percent) of the District's population, and whites (39.6 percent) are within shouting distance of Blacks. Add those who listed these in combination with another race, and whites outnumber Blacks by a similarly slim margin.

Given the furious pace at which new housing units are coming online in DC — over the 2010s, the increase in housing units outpaced the increase in the population* — I expect Whites alone to become the plurality in DC in this decade, especially as long as many affluent Blacks choose Prince George's County, MD, as their residence.

Culturally speaking as well, I'd say Atlanta is far more influential than DC among Black Americans. After all, it is where Tyler Perry makes his films and writes his stage plays, and he's something of a one-man cultural force. Go-go music may have some influence within the hip-hop generation, but it seems to me that it doesn't really travel well beyond the DMV, and the influential hip-hop musicians tend to come from New York, LA, Philadelphia or Atlanta.

*This should mean that housing will become more affordable in the District if this continues. But I'll believe that when I see it. Much of what's being built is rental housing, and rental housing prices tend to be sticky because of the way apartment buildings are financed.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:55 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm afraid that, even though Blacks still wield political power there, DC's become White Chocolate City since that legendary Parliament album was released.

As of the 2020 Census, Blacks make up a mere plurality (41.4 percent) of the District's population, and whites (39.6 percent) are within shouting distance of Blacks. Add those who listed these in combination with another race, and whites outnumber Blacks by a similarly slim margin.

Given the furious pace at which new housing units are coming online in DC — over the 2010s, the increase in housing units outpaced the increase in the population* — I expect Whites alone to become the plurality in DC in this decade, especially as long as many affluent Blacks choose Prince George's County, MD, as their residence.

Culturally speaking as well, I'd say Atlanta is far more influential than DC among Black Americans. After all, it is where Tyler Perry makes his films and writes his stage plays, and he's something of a one-man cultural force. Go-go music may have some influence within the hip-hop generation, but it seems to me that it doesn't really travel well beyond the DMV, and the influential hip-hop musicians tend to come from New York, LA, Philadelphia or Atlanta.

*This should mean that housing will become more affordable in the District if this continues. But I'll believe that when I see it. Much of what's being built is rental housing, and rental housing prices tend to be sticky because of the way apartment buildings are financed.
Atlanta is 1, I agree. DC is 1a.

DC has higher incomes and what I take to be a more ‘serious’ and behind the scenes type of influence. Atlanta certainly has more cultural clout and is THE black capital. DC does feel close to 40% white 40% black at this point but hey-ATL isn’t majority black either and being super black doesn’t necessarily make you the black capital.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Don’t really disagree with what you said, but I will add that White people will also become the majority in Atlanta this decade too. Sadly, that is one of the undeniable factors when your city booms. It doesn’t mean the Black raw population has to drop, but the total percentage of Black people in the city will drop because of the influx of new residents from other races.

Diversity is good as long as there are still Black communities somewhere in your city that provide a capital for Black people within city limits. Maintaining that capital of Black culture, Black political power, and Black wealth is even more important than maintaining a Black majority population. What is a Black majority population if there are no thriving high-income predominantly Black neighborhoods wielding political power in the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City