Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 10:29 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
These Black events are going to move into the suburbs more and more as the Black population drops in Atlanta. The beltline has decimated the eastern side of Atlanta and the Black population has fallen to very low levels in those neighborhoods. The beltline is continuing to the south and west now which will erode the Black population in popular neighborhoods like the West End and Bank Head. Which neighborhoods will still have a predominantly Black presence in Atlanta proper in the future?
A large percentage of the people that go to these events already live in the suburbs though. It's nothing for someone with money and resources to book a couple of hours at a venue or a park in the actual city of Atlanta. Plus a lot of suburbs Black people live in within the metro are in close proximity to the core of Atlanta. And we're talking all sides of the metro. I use to live in Chamblee which was a 15-25 min. drive to downtown Atlanta even on bad days. I pretty much hit up every festival in the city.

So despite Atlanta suburbanizing, festivals such as:

1) One Musicfest
2) Afro punk Atlanta
3) Sweet Auburn Music Festival
4) Battle of the Bands
5) Bronner Bros. International Beauty Show
6) Juneteenth
7) Atlanta Black Pride
8) ATL Hip-hop Day Festival
9) A3C Festival
10) ACU Homecoming
11) MLK Day

Will continue to be in the city of Atlanta along with other small cultural events. Despite Atlanta losing black residents there's still a huge Black presence in the city of Atlanta. Still tons of Black owned businesses despite these Black entrepreneurs living in the burbs.

Also I don't see South Atlanta gentrifying anytime soon. So we'll see. Either way there's a big enough Black presence in the metro for Atlanta's Black population within the city to still have a visible impact. I mean Atlanta has the 2nd highest Black population in the nation right now. And Black people represent 34% of the population in the metro. By 10-15 years at the rate it's still growing it could surpass NYC Black population and have a Black percentage close to 40%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 11:47 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Don’t really disagree with what you said, but I will add that White people will also become the majority in Atlanta this decade too. Sadly, that is one of the undeniable factors when your city booms. It doesn’t mean the Black raw population has to drop, but the total percentage of Black people in the city will drop because of the influx of new residents from other races.

Diversity is good as long as there are still Black communities somewhere in your city that provide a capital for Black people within city limits. Maintaining that capital of Black culture, Black political power, and Black wealth is even more important than maintaining a Black majority population. What is a Black majority population if there are no thriving high-income predominantly Black neighborhoods wielding political power in the city?
Can't +1 you via the C-D rep tool so am doing it this way.

Your last paragraph is especially well taken. And in an era when liberal whites will support Black politicians whose style they like (e.g., former Mayor Michael Nutter here), those Black political power brokers can make allies of them.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:57 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
A large percentage of the people that go to these events already live in the suburbs though. It's nothing for someone with money and resources to book a couple of hours at a venue or a park in the actual city of Atlanta. Plus a lot of suburbs Black people live in within the metro are in close proximity to the core of Atlanta. And we're talking all sides of the metro. I use to live in Chamblee which was a 15-25 min. drive to downtown Atlanta even on bad days. I pretty much hit up every festival in the city.

1) One Musicfest
2) Afro punk Atlanta
4) Battle of the Bands
6) Juneteenth
7) Atlanta Black Pride
9) A3C Festival
10) ACU Homecoming
11) MLK Day

Will continue to be in the city of Atlanta along with other small cultural events. Despite Atlanta losing black residents there's still a huge Black presence in the city of Atlanta. Still tons of Black owned businesses despite these Black entrepreneurs living in the burbs.

Also I don't see South Atlanta gentrifying anytime soon. So we'll see. Either way there's a big enough Black presence in the metro for Atlanta's Black population within the city to still have a visible impact. I mean Atlanta has the 2nd highest Black population in the nation right now. And Black people represent 34% of the population in the metro. By 10-15 years at the rate it's still growing it could surpass NYC Black population and have a Black percentage close to 40%.
It is possible, but to put things into perspective, the black population of the NYC metro area has almost as many black people as the Atlanta and Chicago(or DC) metros combined in population as of 2020. So, it may take a while before that occurs.

https://blackdemographics.com/popula...ty-population/

Old 05-02-2022, 12:26 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

1) One Musicfest
2) Afro punk Atlanta
4) Battle of the Bands
6) Juneteenth
7) Atlanta Black Pride
9) A3C Festival
10) ACU Homecoming
11) MLK Day

I think it's important to note apples to apples comparisons. Just like perspective is important when comparing city's based on their political boundaries versus actual land mass like Philadelphia (134 sq. miles) and DC (61 sq. miles), the same should be done with metro areas.

DC MSA and Baltimore MSA: 8,669 sq. miles (2,373,358 black people)

Atlanta MSA: 8,376 sq miles (2,048,212 black people)

Atlanta's MSA has 2,048,212 black people in the same amount of land as the size of DC and Baltimore's MSA's with 2,373,358 black people. As you may know, DC and Baltimore share a CSA and their MSA boundaries are shared with both being cut in half because both cities are about 35 minutes from each other.

Black People By MSA in America

As for the city of Atlanta losing their Black neighborhoods, don't you believe it is important for Atlanta proper to offer Black neighborhoods in the city dominated by Black affluent and successful households? A place where Black people hold a super majority, wield political power, have their own Black owned restaurants and Black owned businesses, and produce an atmosphere where the people walking around look like you in your neighborhood commercial and residential corridors?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-02-2022 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 12:32 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Capital of Black America by region:

West - Las Vegas

South - Atlanta

Midwest - Chicago

Northeast - DC
I mean nah. I don't think you could actually do this.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:35 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
As a nation, yes.

For northeastern US?-absolutely not. A hard no. Who in the Northeast- the actual northeast- would say that?? Certainly not anyone in New York or New England, Very unlikely one from Philly either. So...who? Youre not even in the northeast and its reallyevident when speaking to people from DC...

To the bolded, no ones ever heard of this....
And your post is exactly the reason why I made my last post. The regions are too broad for it to have a capital.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:44 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And your post is exactly the reason why I made my last post. The regions are too broad for it to have a capital.
I definitely think you can do it just break it down by region a little like I did in post this post

Quote:
Atlanta is having the Freakhoe Music Festival lmaooo.

Philly has Made In America Festival, ROOTS Picnic. Afropunk in Brooklyn. Essence Fest in New Orleans. Bronner Brother Hair Convention Atlanta. Black Bike Week Myrtle Beach.

Naw but seriously the two primary capital of Black America are DC and ATL.

Regionally outside the south you have LA for the West Coast, NYC for the Northeast, and Chicago the midwest.

Breaking it down smaller you get Seattle for the PNW, Las Vegas for the Mountain West (it has surpassed Denver), Boston for New England, Houston for Texas/AR/LA/OK (yea it’s own region) and maybe St Louis for the lower Midwest.
But DC is in no way shape or form the black capital of the Northeastern US. I'm not even entirely sure that's what he was trying to say, but I'm just saying it in case it needs to be said. I'm as Northeastern US black as it gets and that's just not it. Its NYC no question.

DC is for everybody.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
As a nation, yes.

For northeastern US?-absolutely not. A hard no. Who in the Northeast- the actual northeast- would say that?? Certainly not anyone in New York or New England, Very unlikely one from Philly either. So...who? Youre not even in the northeast and its reallyevident when speaking to people from DC...

To the bolded, no ones ever heard of this....
I guess we'd need to clarify due to generational gaps, and perceptions people have based on current popular culture as opposed to the 1970's etc. I'm not even getting your logic anyway if Atlanta and DC are 1/2 as "Black capitals" by majority consensus here, how would any other city be in front of them no matter the region? If one is placing DC in the NE region, then it obviously is more of a "Black Capital" than New York City, still to this day.

Chocolate City was the epicenter for a number of decades in the 20th century. It really goes all the way back to the 1920's.

[vimeo]106750806[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/106750806?embedded...&owner=7675973

https://blackbroadwayonu.com/

"No one's ever heard of this":

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/10/t...surfacing.html

Last edited by the resident09; 05-02-2022 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 06:54 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I guess we'd need to clarify due to generational gaps, and perceptions people have based on current popular culture as opposed to the 1970's etc. I'm not even getting your logic anyway if Atlanta and DC are 1/2 as "Black capitals" by majority consensus here, how would any other city be in front of them no matter the region?

Chocolate City was the epicenter for a number of decades in the 20th century.

[vimeo]106750806[/vimeo]
[vimeo]106750806[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/106750806?embedded...&owner=7675973

https://blackbroadwayonu.com/
What’s hard to know- If there’s a regional capital for the northeast, it’s not DC.

I don’t know if it ever was but with NYCs Harlem and Brooklyn having been much blacker in the past I highly doubt it. DC is where black people from up north move to kinda get away from the northm. But stay close enough to home.

The whit epeople in Dc give me northeastern- not the black people. The black culture is much more steeped in tradition and black politics here than in northern cities that aren’t so culturally black dominate. Speech is way different and more southern, even the slang is way different infers: nothing about DC gives me northeastern balck apart from they take the train to work. When I meet NY/NJ people here there’s a quick bond and it’s very easy to tell them apart from how they talk.

Dc can have al the black history in the world but it not gonna be more of a capital for northeastern blacks over Harlem World and Brooklyn….NYC is so much bigger and just more and the reach is way deeper into the north.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:09 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
What’s hard to know- If there’s a regional capital for the northeast, it’s not DC.

I don’t know if it ever was but with NYCs Harlem and Brooklyn having been much blacker in the past I highly doubt it. DC is where black people from up north move to kinda get away from the northm. But stay close enough to home.

The whit epeople in Dc give me northeastern- not the black people. The black culture is much more steeped in tradition and black politics here than in northern cities that aren’t so culturally black dominate. Speech is way different and more southern, even the slang is way different infers: nothing about DC gives me northeastern balck apart from they take the train to work. When I meet NY/NJ people here there’s a quick bond and it’s very easy to tell them apart from how they talk.

Dc can have al the black history in the world but it not gonna be more of a capital for northeastern blacks over Harlem World and Brooklyn….NYC is so much bigger and just more and the reach is way deeper into the north.
We're not talking about the same thing then. I've only stated that IF one is grouping places based on region and added DC with the NE region than DC>NYC, or Brooklyn, or Harlem, it doesn't matter as a "Black Capital" regardless. I know DC and Boston don't reach out and relate to each other all that much, so there's probably a lack of awareness at no fault of your own. (Although Boston's very own New Edition added that dope DC singer Johnny Gill to their group in the late 80's to take them to new heights). You comment so much on DC and say you've lived here or nearby, but never heard of "Black Broadway". Just doesn't add up.

If your point is that DC ain't part of the Northeast then that's fine, NYC can have it's title back .

Period for current 2022 Black Capitals in the country Atlanta and DC are top 2. NYC is not in the top 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City