Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 07:14 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Capital of Black America by region:

West - Las Vegas

South - Atlanta

Midwest - Chicago

Northeast - DC
d.c.'s technically south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 07:18 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Capital of Black America by region:

West - Las Vegas

South - Atlanta

Midwest - Chicago

Northeast - DC
DC and Vegas over NYC and LA? NO.

DC is only half Northeastern black culture. If that.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:43 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC and Vegas over NYC and LA? NO.

DC is only half Northeastern black culture. If that.
DC definitely over NYC. The city was nicknamed "Chocolate City" for a reason. DC's certainly been the greater African American strong hold long term. Black Broadway on U Street was a thing before Harlem Renaissance. How many major cities can boast something like that? They tie regarding African continent influence and immigration. New York dominates in Black Caribbean influence.

NYC would be 1a or 2nd (if we're putting DC into the Northeast).

Old 05-02-2022, 07:48 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Atlanta is 1, I agree. DC is 1a.

DC has higher incomes and what I take to be a more ‘serious’ and behind the scenes type of influence. Atlanta certainly has more cultural clout and is THE black capital. DC does feel close to 40% white 40% black at this point but hey-ATL isn’t majority black either and being super black doesn’t necessarily make you the black capital.
Interesting enough, DC is maintaining more Black wealth and political power in the city than Atlanta. Atlanta’s Black wealth in the city is waning and the political power is too. Atlanta doesn’t have a Sherwood Forest with a median income over $138,000 like Detroit for instance. In fact, Atlanta doesn’t have a single Black neighborhood from what I can see making over $100k median income. Cascade Heights comes the closest with one census block group making $98,000, but the other block groups are $88,000 and $78,000. Black wealth in Atlanta has been pushed out of Atlanta.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC definitely over NYC. The city was nicknamed "Chocolate City" for a reason. DC's certainly been the greater African American strong hold long term. Black Broadway on U Street was a thing before Harlem Renaissance. How many major cities can boast something like that? They tie regarding African continent influence and immigration. New York dominates in Black Caribbean influence.

NYC would be 1a or 2nd (if we're putting DC into the Northeast).
As a nation, yes.

For northeastern US?-absolutely not. A hard no. Who in the Northeast- the actual northeast- would say that?? Certainly not anyone in New York or New England, Very unlikely one from Philly either. So...who? Youre not even in the northeast and its reallyevident when speaking to people from DC...

To the bolded, no ones ever heard of this....

Old 05-02-2022, 08:21 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
As a nation, yes.

For northeastern US?-absolutely not. A hard no. Who in the Northeast- the actual northeast- would say that?? Certainly not anyone in New York or New England, Very unlikely one from Philly either. So...who? Youre not even in the northeast and its reallyevident when speaking to people from DC...

To the bolded, no ones ever heard of this....
I have to agree with this.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:22 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
I still think Atlanta is the capital of Black America despite what pros D.C. brings to the table. And it's due to a couple of reasons.

1) Geographical location: Atlanta is located in the Black Belt. Also not to mention it's not too far from the East Coast/ Midwest and the rest of the southern states. It has a geographical location D.C. doesn't have from a Black American perspective.

2) Cost of living: One can say D.C. quality of life is possibly better than Atlanta and I wouldn't argue with you either way. I happen to love D.C. and would be one of the few places in America I would actually choose to live in. But for the average AA cost of living plays a huge factor in deciding where people stay. Atlanta while not as nearly affordable as it once was is still more affordable than D.C. for the average African American. Or at least that's the perception. Atlanta just seems more accessible to the common Black Man and Woman.

3) Popularity: Because of pop culture, people will associate Blackness more with Atlanta. You can not think of Blackness without thinking of Atlanta. You can think of D.C. without mentioning it's blackness though. Because the first thing that will come to mind for Americans when they think of D.C. is politics. This is one of the reasons so many people move to Atlanta. IMO, that's a pro and a con.

4) Transplants: AA's from every corner of America and other parts of the Diaspora are settled in Atlanta. You have southerners from other states, midwest folks, westcoast, Northeast plus Caribbean, Continental Africans and even a growing Afro Latino presence flocking to Atlanta. If NYC is the most ethnically diverse Black city in America, Atlanta has to have the most representation on a geographical and nationality level. That's why it's easy for New Yorkers to have a Bronx day in the middle of Grant Park or Black Californian's hosting a Cali Day.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:35 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I still think Atlanta is the capital of Black America despite what pros D.C. brings to the table. And it's due to a couple of reasons.

1) Geographical location: Atlanta is located in the Black Belt. Also not to mention it's not too far from the East Coast/ Midwest and the rest of the southern states. It has a geographical location D.C. doesn't have from a Black American perspective.

2) Cost of living: One can say D.C. quality of life is possibly better than Atlanta and I wouldn't argue with you either way. I happen to love D.C. and would be one of the few places in America I would actually choose to live in. But for the average AA cost of living plays a huge factor in deciding where people stay. Atlanta while not as nearly affordable as it once was is still more affordable than D.C. for the average African American. Or at least that's the perception. Atlanta just seems more accessible to the common Black Man and Woman.

3) Popularity: Because of pop culture, people will associate Blackness more with Atlanta. You can not think of Blackness without thinking of Atlanta. You can think of D.C. without mentioning it's blackness though. Because the first thing that will come to mind for Americans when they think of D.C. is politics. This is one of the reasons so many people move to Atlanta. IMO, that's a pro and a con.

4) Transplants: AA's from every corner of America and other parts of the Diaspora are settled in Atlanta. You have southerners from other states, midwest folks, westcoast, Northeast plus Caribbean, Continental Africans and even a growing Afro Latino presence flocking to Atlanta. If NYC is the most ethnically diverse Black city in America, Atlanta has to have the most representation on a geographical and nationality level. That's why it's easy for New Yorkers to have a Bronx day in the middle of Grant Park or Black Californian's hosting a Cali Day.
These Black events are going to move into the suburbs more and more as the Black population drops in Atlanta. The beltline has decimated the eastern side of Atlanta and the Black population has fallen to very low levels in those neighborhoods. The beltline is continuing to the south and west now which will erode the Black population in popular neighborhoods like the West End and Bank Head. Which neighborhoods will still have a predominantly Black presence in Atlanta proper in the future?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:02 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

skeptical ?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post

skeptical ?
dont be. He is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City