Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 03:39 PM

42 posts, read 19,279 times

Advertisements

1. Atlanta
2. Houston
3. NYC
4. DC
5. Memphis
6. New Orleans
7. Philadelphia
8. Detroit
9. Charlotte
10. Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 06:21 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
1. Atlanta
2. Houston
3. NYC
4. DC
5. Memphis
6. New Orleans
7. Philadelphia
8. Detroit
9. Charlotte
10. Chicago
I have yet to meet an African American person who has said something good about Memphis.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:50 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I have yet to meet an African American person who has said something good about Memphis.
I think OP asked about cities that have significantly contributed to black culture and history, rather than the most livable places if you're black. In that case, I don't see how Charlotte is up there over Baltimore, Oakland and St. Louis

Old 06-15-2023, 09:50 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
According to realtor.com the average listing price for a home in DC is 650K. DC is also home to the 8th highest rental market in the country.

Highly doubt a middle class African American is going to look at those prices and say “affordable”. Maryland as a state is also one of the most expensive states in the country and usually ranks in the top 10 for pricey states and currently Maryland is starting to see the same fate as cali and NY as far as the state having a lot of people leave.

Saying DC and Maryland are affordable is hillarious. It’s affordable to a high earning African American who is upper middle class but for the average middle class African American family it is not.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...n_DC/overview#

In May 2023, the median listing home price in Washington, DC was $650K, trending up 8.3% year-over-year. The median listing home price per square foot was $530. The median home sold price was $667K.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-by-nyc-and-sf
Most expensive rental markets
1.) NYC
2.) SF
3.) San Jose
4.) Boston
5.) Miami
6.) SD
7.) Dc
8.) LA
9.) Oakland
10.) Santa Ana, Ca

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-mo...120009974.html
Most expensive states
1.) Hawaii
2.) Massachusetts
3.) California
4.) New York
5.) Alaska
6.) Maryland
7.) Oregon
8.) Vermont
9.) Connecticut
10.) New Hampshire
You do realize the data I posted was for the DC MSA and the data you posted is for DC proper? You can’t compare metropolitan area data with city proper data. It’s not apples to apples.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Um no it’s not. DC is very expensive for the average American, especially the average African American.

We are not even going to waste time having this silly debate.
Most of the Black people living in DC proper and moving to DC proper overwhelming choose to live East of the River in zip codes 20019, 20020, and 20032. It’s affordable when making a DC area salary and has a population that is over 90% Black.

The data I posted is for the metropolitan area so you will have to find data to dispute what the posted data determined.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:53 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
memphis is the only mostly black metro in the u.s. peeple erroneously say that atlanta is mostly black but it isnt.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
DC isn’t affordable. But Maryland is not that bad. It’s unaffordable in the DC suburbs but itis relatively affordable in the Baltimore area, much of PG County and western and southern Maryland and the eastern shore. Maryland is no where close as bad as California.
Affordability is about income and it’s relative to where you live. In the DC metropolitan area, Black people make substantially more than every major city in America with a decent sized Black population. There are only two places where Black people make more than Black people in the DC area and that’s San Jose and San Francisco which barely has any Black people and is way more expensive than the DC market.

Old 06-15-2023, 11:00 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Affordability is about income and it’s relative to where you live. In the DC metropolitan area, Black people make substantially more than every major city in America with a decent sized Black population. There are only two places where Black people make more than Black people in the DC area and that’s San Jose and San Francisco which barely has any Black people and is way more expensive than the DC market.
Regardless of how much more blacks make in the DC area, that's simply bragging rights. The "average" black dollar goes further in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia and other cities with a decent number of African Americans. I can speak on this because I live in Charles County, MD at the moment and own two homes in Cobb and Clayton Counties GA. Overall, it is a bit more expensive to live in MD. I purchased a $500K townhouse in Bryans Road, which is very rural and expensive for the area, IMO. Even the easy pass into DC is $18.50 (daily), you can take the Atlanta equivalent (peach pass) for less than $5. That's just ridiculous. I also noticed that my waste, light, and grocery bills are higher in MD. People say that I need to stop shopping at Giant, but I've stopped at Publix and Kroger in GA and still spent less money. Also, I make nearly $35K more here and definitely can't tell the difference, even with the Cost of Living incentive. It's not about having a higher income if it's not really helpful with every day expenses.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Regardless of how much more blacks make in the DC area, that's simply bragging rights. The "average" black dollar goes further in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia and other cities with a decent number of African Americans. I can speak on this because I live in Charles County, MD at the moment and own two homes in Cobb and Clayton Counties GA. Overall, it is a bit more expensive to live in MD. I purchased a $500K townhouse in Bryans Road, which is very rural and expensive for the area, IMO. Even the easy pass into DC is $18.50 (daily), you can take the Atlanta equivalent (peach pass) for less than $5. That's just ridiculous. I also noticed that my waste, light, and grocery bills are higher in MD. People say that I need to stop shopping at Giant, but I've stopped at Publix and Kroger in GA and still spent less money. Also, I make nearly $35K more here and definitely can't tell the difference, even with the Cost of Living incentive. It's not about having a higher income if it's not really helpful with every day expenses.
You could have lived in DC paying a mortgage that is way less for $550,000. There are 2800 square foot new construction townhouses in DC for that price. How large is your home?

Old 06-15-2023, 12:26 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
memphis is the only mostly black metro in the u.s. peeple erroneously say that atlanta is mostly black but it isnt.
lol, This is so true! Memphis is the only Majority black City and Metro in the US... Census data is also showing Memphis as taking over being the Largest Majority Black city in the US title from Detroit. Detroit population just dropped below Memphis in last years estimates. Memphis 621,056 and Detroit 620,376. Seems Memphis bad rep messes it up every time from getting props, even in the black catagory, smh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City