Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 12:35 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You could have lived in DC paying a mortgage that is way less for $550,000. There are 2800 square foot new construction townhouses in DC for that price. How large is your home?
Where in DC can you get a townhome for $550,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 01:12 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Where in DC can you get a townhome for $550,000?

East of the River where most Black people live in DC. This is just zip code 20019:

Homes sold in zip code 20019 priced between $400k-$500k in last year.

Homes sold in zip code 20019 priced between $500k-$600k in last year.

Townhouses for sale now at $522,000

Townhouses for sale at $519,000

And for a little more, you can get even larger homes:

Townhouse sold for $575,000 (2793 sq. feet)

Old 06-15-2023, 06:23 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I have yet to meet an African American person who has said something good about Memphis.
To be fair Memphis is a pretty solid draw for Black folks in neighboring states like Arkansas and Mississippi.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:24 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I think OP asked about cities that have significantly contributed to black culture and history, rather than the most livable places if you're black. In that case, I don't see how Charlotte is up there over Baltimore, Oakland and St. Louis
What has Memphis contributed ? Sorta the Blues and....? It's 2nd to last a little ahead of Seattle despite being the blackest metro... Red Flag.

Never heard good things about Memphis. You'd be better off with Newark if were going culture/impact.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:55 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
What has Memphis contributed ? Sorta the Blues and....? It's 2nd to last a little ahead of Seattle despite being the blackest metro... Red Flag.

Never heard good things about Memphis. You'd be better off with Newark if were going culture/impact.
What has Memphis contributed? Memphis is one of the richest music cities in America. Memphis might not be a shining example today but Memphis literally helped birthed modern mainstream American music and that's largely due to the Black community in Memphis. Memphis literally played one of the biggest roles in creating Rock N Roll/ Blues/ Gospel/ Soul and R&B.

Memphis was pretty much the crossroads of rich Black culture from North Mississippi, the Mississippi Delta, Eastern Arkansas and West Tennessee.

Black Memphis birthed Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Johnny Cash.

Then you have Black staples like Beale Street, the first Black radio station(WDIA), Stax records, signature style of bbq.

Not to mention Memphis place in Hip-hop. Literally birthed the sound that would become crunk music. Not to mention the countless Memphis rappers leaving a mark on the industry for the past decade and even dating back to Three Six Mafia.

Plus Memphis has ties to artist like B.B. King/ Issac Hayes/ Otis Redding/ Aretha Franklin/ Al Green/Tina Turner/ Ike Turner,etc.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:34 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I have yet to meet an African American person who has said something good about Memphis.
Must not know many AAs south of the mason Dixon. Memphis doesn’t have a stellar rep but there’s a reason it’s the largest plurality black metro.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Memphis, New Orleans, Oakland and sorta Detroit are old Black capitals.

NY and DC are perennial capitals for everyone.

Atlanta and Houston are newer black capitals.

Dallas is a rising black capital.

Seattle never was and never will be

Old 06-16-2023, 01:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:

Orange Mound. The first neighborhood in the country to be constructed by and for blacks.

Memphis was once the Detroit of the south. thriving music scene of Blues, Gospel, and Rock, although its relevance diminished.

Soul food

Old 06-16-2023, 01:21 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
What has Memphis contributed? Memphis is one of the richest music cities in America. Memphis might not be a shining example today but Memphis literally helped birthed modern mainstream American music and that's largely due to the Black community in Memphis. Memphis literally played one of the biggest roles in creating Rock N Roll/ Blues/ Gospel/ Soul and R&B.

Memphis was pretty much the crossroads of rich Black culture from North Mississippi, the Mississippi Delta, Eastern Arkansas and West Tennessee.

Black Memphis birthed Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Johnny Cash.

Then you have Black staples like Beale Street, the first Black radio station(WDIA), Stax records, signature style of bbq.

Not to mention Memphis place in Hip-hop. Literally birthed the sound that would become crunk music. Not to mention the countless Memphis rappers leaving a mark on the industry for the past decade and even dating back to Three Six Mafia.

Plus Memphis has ties to artist like B.B. King/ Issac Hayes/ Otis Redding/ Aretha Franklin/ Al Green/Tina Turner/ Ike Turner,etc.

Some of what of I'm getting from this is a list of people that came through Memphis but aren't from there, blues, white musicians, post 2000 rap run and crossroads of a rural black regional culture. Bbq Is as white as it is black, if not more. Black people wouldn't want I admit that but yeah...its true.

The most valid things are blues (which really comes from MS, but okay), current hotness in rap, many black people and the history of Beale Street/WDIA/Stax records- none of which have I ever heard mention of. But upon looking them up understand and respect.

Irl I never hear about Memphis. The only thing I have heard was from my father and it was negative. It seems like it contributions aren't in the same tier as some of the city's on this list, they exist of course but the biggest asset we know of now is the rap music they make- which I do like and prefer to what I hear in ATL. Which is probably why it's 2nd to last here.

I feel the impact of Black culture in LA Oakland AtL DC Houston NYC Chicago Detroit way more than I do Memphis. But culture and history definitely can and do diverge- and I have learned something here.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:48 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:

Can't say that's true. Memphis has a lot of significance to Blacks. It mainly get's it bad rep due to the High crime rate that holds it back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City