Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban at street level?
Philadelphia 221 41.00%
Chicago 318 59.00%
Voters: 539. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:13 AM

1,486 posts, read 292,637 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure it's Chicago. It's dense and there is a nice urban feel at street level with the buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,673 times
I still don't get why MORE URBAN<< Has to be housing up to the sidewalk? No front lawns? I certainly don't think URBAN means. The narrower the streets and closeness of housing like Row homes as a main style makes it win hands down for URBANESS? Or if their Downtown only 3 sides. Open on 1 or too much parkland in the downtown? Make it also less URBAN? To me, these are positives to URBAN living standards. Chicago being less urban for a large bungalow stock VS Rows of connected homes. Doesn't work for me. NO USE THEN DEBATING. ALL OLDER EASTERN, EXPECIALLY NORTHEASTERN US CITIES WIN THEN.... MERELY CAUSE OF MORE NARROW STREETS AND ROW HOMES? I think by Chicago winning the thread. Most rate by attributes, not closeness of neighborhood housing.

Last edited by steeps; 09-01-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 01:45 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollsack View Post
I'm pretty sure it's Chicago. It's dense and there is a nice urban feel at street level with the buildings.
Philadelphia feels more urban than Chicago at street level due to Philadelphia having much narrower streets (which in result makes Philadelphia more walkable), a consistent streetwall (due to all of the apartment buildings and Rowhomes being attached to each other which flows seamlessly), and due to Philadelphia having a pre automobile design (in result there is a lot of super narrow residential streets that are pedestrian only, or there are plenty of very narrow streets in which having a car is a inconvenience do to the limited parking one lane streets). All of these factors combined make Philadelphia have a more intensely dense urban environment than Chicago. That is why I think Philadelphia is more urban than Chicago. With that said, Chicago has a larger downtown with taller and more skyscrapers and a larger "downtown lite" (which I would consider the narrow band of mid rises that line up along the lake on the north side of Chicago which spans from north ave all the way up to Evanston). Because of those factors, I can understand why someone may find Chicago more urban though I would disagree with them as I said before.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,180,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philadelphia feels more urban than Chicago at street level due to Philadelphia having much narrower streets (which in result makes Philadelphia more walkable), a consistent streetwall (due to all of the apartment buildings and Rowhomes being attached to each other which flows seamlessly), and due to Philadelphia having a pre automobile design (in result there is a lot of super narrow residential streets that are pedestrian only, or there are plenty of very narrow streets in which having a car is a inconvenience do to the limited parking one lane streets). All of these factors combined make Philadelphia have a more intensely dense urban environment than Chicago. That is why I think Philadelphia is more urban than Chicago. With that said, Chicago has a larger downtown with taller and more skyscrapers and a larger "downtown lite" (which I would consider the narrow band of mid rises that line up along the lake on the north side of Chicago which spans from north ave all the way up to Evanston). Because of those factors, I can understand why someone may find Chicago more urban though I would disagree with them as I said before.
Great post--totally agree

Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,673 times
Again if the test for URBANITY levels is, who has the narrowest streets. Closest housing stock, making cities with Large Row home stocks a must? No front lawns in neighborhoods, cause it lessens what is URBAN? Then NO CITY OUTSIDE THE EAST COAST AND NORTH OF DC, can possibly win? No new threads need compare East Coast cities to the rest asking. Which is more urban ?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Again if the test for URBANITY levels is, who has the narrowest streets. Closest housing stock, making cities with Large Row home stocks a must? No front lawns in neighborhoods, cause it lessens what is URBAN? Then NO CITY OUTSIDE THE EAST COAST AND NORTH OF DC, can possibly win? No new threads need compare East Coast cities to the rest asking. Which is more urban ?
It may not be the end all and be all of what makes a city urban but it's also not a coincidence that the most urban cities in the US will most likely come from the Northeast.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,645,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It may not be the end all and be all of what makes a city urban but it's also not a coincidence that the most urban cities in the US will most likely come from the Northeast.
I think Chicago and SF top all NE cities aside from NYC for urbanity. I think many would agree.

I also think Seattle gives plenty of NE cities a run for their money. I think if Denver keeps doing what it's doing, it will be up there as well.

I think it's overrated to define "urban" as conceived pre-automobile, rowhomes, and narrow streets. To me "urban" is much harder to define, but the definition above would leave parts of NYC out of the "urban" definition that some keep throwing out around here.

FWIW if we want to talk pre-automobile population, Chicago definitely tops Philly!!

Sampling of largest US cities by Year:

1900:

1) NYC - 3,437,202
2) Chicago - 1,698,575
3) Philly - 1,293,697
4) St. Louis - 575,238 (I think we can all agree STL is no longer a top 10 "urban" city in America and yet was 4th largest as recently as 1900!!)
5) Boston - 560,892
6) Baltimore - 508,957
7) Cleveland - 381,768 (same as STL, no way Cleveland is top 10 "urban" city in America these days)
8) Buffalo - 352,387 (same thing)
9) San Francisco - 342,782
10) Cincinnati - 325,902
11) Pittsburgh - 321,616
12) New Orleans - 287,104
13) Detroit - 285,704
14) Milwaukee - 285,315
15) DC - 278,718

1920:

1) NYC - 5,620,048
2) Chicago - 2,701,705
3) Philadelphia - 1,823,779
4) Detroit - 993,078
5) Cleveland - 796,841
6) St. Louis - 772,897
7) Boston - 748,060
8) Baltimore - 733,826
9) Pittsburgh - 588,343
10) LA - 576,673
11) Buffalo - 506,775
12) San Francisco - 506,676
13) Milwaukee- 457,147
14) DC - 437,571
15) Newark - 414,524

Population of the 20 Largest U.S. Cities, 1900&ndash;2012 | Infoplease.com

I think if anything this list proves age doesn't matter.

In terms of width of streets, NYC is by far the most urban environment in the states, and it doesn't have Philly or Boston's narrow streets.

And in terms of urbanity, for me more important than "built to curb" is built for people. And that implies density, and excellent transit. Chicago may have more bungalows and more trees, but it has far more people living at really high densities in neighborhoods that aren't down in the "comeback" phase or that aren't bombed out, where people are walking to work, bars/restaurants, shopping, etc. That's what "urban" is all about to me - not the most superficial aspects of architecture.

Furthermore, transit use is proportionally higher in Chicago than in Philly, density is higher (not only higher, but the avg density is higher over a much larger area, even with the bungalows!). And it's not because of the high-rises, necessarily. I know that because SF, without Chicago level high rises, has much higher peak densities. So the high-rises aren't overly skewing Chicagoland density towards a half mile off the lake. Many neighborhoods going miles in and on El lines are very dense and walkable, and LIVABLE.

Chicago.

Last edited by anonelitist; 09-01-2014 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I think Chicago and SF top all NE cities aside from NYC for urbanity. I think many would agree.
For overall urbanity, possibly, but by a very slight margin. Boston, Philly, and DC are in the same general range.

At street level, though, definitely no. Philly is almost certainly #2 in North America.

And your comparison of Seattle and Denver with NE corridor cities shows you are a pretty awful judge of relative urbanity. The gap between a Philly and a Denver is massive compared to a gap between a Philly and a Chicago/SF. You might as well compare NYC to Denver while you're at it.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Yes, that's exactly the point.

The Northeast Corridor is, by far, the most urban part of the U.S. at street level. Even outside NYC, at street level, there is no other part of the U.S. where the urban form is similar. Even random small cities like Wilmington, New Haven, and Providence, have street-level urbanity almost unknown outside of the Northeast Corridor.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:11 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,773,000 times
Depends on your definition of urbanity. Philadelphia and Chicago are both great cities, but you can walk twenty miles within the two miles west of the Lakefront in Chicago from South Shore to Evanston, and not be the only pedestrian on the street with fairly vibrant street activity around you, stores, bars, restaurants etc. You can't do that in Philadelphia. While parts of Philadelphia may have better urban bones than Chicago, Chicago is generally more urban over a much, much bigger territory. You really have to go quite far west in Chicago to find bungalows. Philadelphia gets burned out or suburban much quicker than Chicago, and there are no residential neighborhoods in Philadelphia, including Center City, with the density of Chicago's north side from the Gold Coast to Rogers Park. Philadelphia is a the smaller city and almost invariably feels like it. While raw numbers never tell the whole story, Lakeview in Chicago has a population density of over thirty thousand people per square mile, City Center in Philadelphia barely cracks 11 000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City