Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban at street level?
Philadelphia 221 41.00%
Chicago 318 59.00%
Voters: 539. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:00 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times

Advertisements

If Chicago has more of an "indoor life" than Philadelphia does, I wonder if that's because of the weather. Philadelphia is more mild in the winter than Chicago, relatively speaking, so that might allow for more "outdoor life," and for more months out of the year.

Just a guess. Last time I was in Chicago was over 20 years ago, and I've spent a grand total of three hours of my life in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Wow, someones upset and must be on their period. You have wayyyy to much time on your hands. This thread is meant for cd posters state their opinion on which is more urban, I don't know how you went on a upset rage tangent.
Actually, I thought that was a great post. There are some folks in this thread from Philadelphia that need a reality check.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:20 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If Chicago has more of an "indoor life" than Philadelphia does, I wonder if that's because of the weather. Philadelphia is more mild in the winter than Chicago, relatively speaking, so that might allow for more "outdoor life," and for more months out of the year.

Just a guess. Last time I was in Chicago was over 20 years ago, and I've spent a grand total of three hours of my life in Philadelphia.
Philly's winters aren't THAT much milder than Chicago's. We are not talking about Los Angeles here.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Actually, I thought that was a great post. There are some folks in this thread from Philadelphia that need a reality check.

Just curious as too? while attacks and lack of substantiation are one thing - I also believe that Chicago and Philly are for the most part fairly comparable in the US sans skyline - more similarities than differances although there are isolated instances of extreme differances on the whole the tow areas do in fact have many similarities

On the NY thing they actually both have something in common one sort of on proximity and one on size as being the next largest urban city and both for better worse get compare3d while retaining a unique and distinct identity.

Personally I have a distinct love for both, two of my 3 favortite cities

Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM

259 posts, read 543,098 times
also what many don't understand about Chicago..especially many chicagoans...The south and westsides ARE NOT a wasteland...yes there is crime and some vacant lots..But these areas are busy and are also what gives Chicago soul and flavor... People like Thomas A. Dorsey, Albertina Walker, Buddy Guy, and Muddy Waters weren't up north...These are areas where prominent black figures in chicago were raised and influenced to do great things..these areas are highly urban and present a personality absent from the rest of the city

Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times
Quote:
If nothing else Chicago is a much more diverse and active city than Philadelphia with better dining and nightlife. There's a reason Chicago gets almost 20 million more vistiors annually than Philadelphia.
And that reason is because there is nothing interesting near chicago for many miles. It doesnt have any regional competition for vistors. Imagine if it was borderd by and physically connected to a metro that was larger and more world renowned than London. All things considered, Philly does pretty good for itself.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
And that reason is because there is nothing interesting near chicago for many miles. It doesnt have any regional competition for vistors. Imagine if it was borderd by and physically connected to a metro that was larger and more world renowned than London. All things considered, Philly does pretty good for itself.
True story and thats what many people fail to understand. For a city that is surrounded by bigger and more economically powerful cities, Philly does pretty well.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Sure let me run this out for you how all this happened. And I'll have sidelines to show you how Utopian Philadelphia is and how much of a pathetic wasteland Chicago is (according to these posts).
Quote:
Wow, someones upset and must be on their period. You have wayyyy to much time on your hands. This thread is meant for cd posters state their opinion on which is more urban, I don't know how you went on a upset rage tangent.
Oh lets look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I hate to say it but it does seem like some of the Chicago posters on this forum have a superiority complex in a way that they always have to top New York City in every thread to justify there insecurities. THERE I SAID IT! Now watch every Chicago poster attack me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Would it make you feel better if we said chicago is just like NYC. What you have said about Philadelphia is untrue, but if it makes you feel better then go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly's suburbs are not moderatly conservative, they are just left of center. Philly's burbs are far from all the same, and have way more character than the majority of chicago's suburbia, considering most of them are older than anything in or around chicago. There are ghetto suburbs, not that its a good thing, (Norristown, Upper Darby, Chester, Bristol etc). Chicagoland burbs can't compete with Philly's wealthy prestigious suburbs(the Mainline). The Philly area runs the gamut with all types of suburbs from the worst(camden and chester), to some of the nations best(Villanova, Gladwyn, Merion etc.), and everything in between.

City to City Chicago has no answer for Center City, but overall Chicago is more urban over a larger area, because its a significantly larger city/metro.
^ After reading this one I wonder why a Manhattan vs Philadelphia thread doesn't exist yet. Apparently the city has no flaw. Its way above Chicago according to this poster from Philadelphia.
Quote:
Philly is more popular in film than Chicago, Chicago is extremely ghetto and has a boring Midwestern culture and vibe. Chicago is full of gangs and people with a inferiority complex. I can play your childish game too oh and please stop mentioning NY please.
^ This is where you come in, and you spread your misinformation. I later posted the actual information on this and I will get to that in just a moment.

So from this point we have gathered that Philadelphia is very popular with the media, has perfect suburbs (according to you and Killakoolaide's post) and that Chicago is a wasteland that tries to compare itself to New York city, right?
Quote:
Any proof?
^ This is the post before where I come in, he was asking for proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Yes.

Chicago: 2,535 Titles
Philadelphia: 1,180 Titles

You can check it at IMDB.com The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)
^ This is where I come in responding to DailyJournalist ermmm.. NJPhilliesPhan and even posting my link so you can check it. Chicago is by far and away more popular in films.
Quote:
I agree, Philadelphia is a model of American urbanism. However many midwesterners have grown up with the feeling that Chicago is their New York and it is hard for them to give credit to other more deserving cities. So we must understand their feelings.
^^ Look between my post and his post, the one where I listed as the number of film titles. No one from Chicago said anything about New York City, and this was intentional bashing.
Quote:
Not really, because eastcoasters know that NYC is the king of America and we are happy with that. We dont think because we built some tall buildings that we can be in the same league. Philadelphia, Boston, and the other Northeast cities play an important role in the region and we are happy with our place. Unfortunately this thread still shows many Chicagoans are unhappy with their rank. Which I really don't understand because I think Chicago is a great city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Obviously this thread is just running circles now - but saw this and had to comment. I moved to Chicago almost 10 years ago, and have never ONCE heard anyone in Chicago say they want it to be like NYC.

I noticed right away that Chicagoans tend to have a lot of pride and ownership of Chicago. I rarely hear anyone trying to size the city up or compare it. Chicago is Chicago - and people from Chicago focus on the city and what they want done with it, etc.

I've found most people here tend to either love or hate NYC, and it's roughly a 65% love of NYC, 35% "can't stand it". I like NYC a lot, but I certainly don't want Chicago to become NYC. If I wanted it that badly, I'd just move to NYC.

These city comparisons that lead to "ohhh, inferiority complex" always initiate with people who aren't even from or don't even live in Chicago. Then suddenly it's an issue that Chicagoans have, when they're not even starting any of these situations.
^ I don't see anything wrong with his post, he didn't bash anything at all. And now watch how he gets responded to and in what way. It tells a lot about you Phildelphia posters really.
Quote:
Rupert Cornwell: At last! The cure for Chicago's inferiority complex has arrived - Rupert Cornwell, Commentators - The Independent

You even have theater companies named after it:
"The Second City, an improvisational and sketch comedy theater school, was named for the inferiority complex of its home town, Chicago; the poor thing lived in constant darkness, blanketed by big ol’ New York City"

Second City slays Obie crowd
^ How necessary right? No one was persisting for it to continue but he just loves to keep pushing it into Chicagoans faces.

So lets go back a page now----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Awesome. Now some people on this board will label Chicago a Southern city.
^ He didn't bash it but he signified how disrespected Chicago got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
This just in off the newswire: Chicago's bash-rating has increased by over 600% after being converted to the Sunbelt.

It's a shame that this thread was derailed so bad...only a matter of time before this baby is locked.
Hooray! So its not just Chicagoans who noticed how much Chicago was getting bashed by Philadelphians! Yay!
Quote:
Chicago people want Chicago to be NYC so badly,lol. It would never be no matter where you put it in the country. Its midwestern culture alone would prevent it from being NYC. But keep dreaming.
Quote:
Sure, we believe you. Yet Chicago posters can't stop mentioning NYC.
^ There he goes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You have the world at your fingertips, use them, educate yourself please.That tends to help prevent making a fool of yourself.

When you are discussing Chicago and Philadelphia the last thing a proponent of Chicago should use is the word Ghetto. And I'll tell you why.

Chicagos population is 2,900,000 and has a poverty rate of 22%.

Chicago has 638,000 people living below the poverty line.

Philadelphias population is 1,500,000 and has a poverty rate of 23%.

Philadelphia has 345,000 people living below the poverty line.

Chicagos closest peer in the USA ismost likely Philadelphia. The per capita economic and crime stats are incredibly similar. Philadelphia just has a smaller field to work with.
^ In comes Rainrock, the guy who thinks Washington DC is an irrelevant city, and that philadelphia is the 2nd most important city in America because it "was" the country's capital before and is historically meaningful. Here he is exaggerating the numbers for Chicago's poverty rate and increasing it by 3% and decreasing Philadelphia's to bring them into the same boat. But in reality no Chicago is a good 4-5% less.
Here is the site for your pleasure reading:
Philadelphia city, PA; Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metro Area - Selected Economic Characteristics: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4Life2 View Post
i ain't hatin, just statin. phillidelphia is on da EAST COAST. for y'all to be like chicago is more urban is rideculous. the whole city is around corn and wheat. if u look at cassidy, eve, beanie siegel, da roots and then look at da brat, twista and all dem dudes it's jive clear as day that philly wins by a landslide.

i offered proof and all people has said is that 'rap videos don;t count, they don't show nothin.' but that aint true becuz rap videos DO show culture and twista, da brat, and crucial conflict r products of the chicago cultrue. jay-z a product of bed-stuy, right? biggie? snoop is west coast dude and he got a laid back flow like dem other west coast dudes. because the chi is kinda country, it make sence that the rap sound country 2
Quote:
dat's true but we dont have bammas wearin gators with neon red steve harvey suits with six butons. when we used to go to the chi we'd see all the pimps come out with the feathers and da mink coats and all dat mess. youngins wuz sellin bbq ribs and chicken outta vans man that's country. harold's and all dat is country. go back and watch kanye's video for the wire and u'll see.
Quote:
bottom line philly is 2 nyc what b-more is 2 dc. da two cities r so tight that they borrow off the other, and on the real for real, nyc copy philly way more than philly copy nyc wit the throwbacks, timbs, etc. so if nyc is the most urban city and philly is a mini modeal of nyc how can chi town be more urban than philly?????
Quote:
Yall just cant handle da truth. nebody who been to chicago will say u see more dudes walkin around lookin like steve harvey with those big a$$ long suits on. sometimes they even wear purple red or loud orange suits I SAW THIS WITH MINE OWN EYES!!!! this one dude even had a activator!!!!!!! how can u say its urban when dudes are walkin around with activators??!? youngins be goin hard on hair weaves out dere too. tell me im not tellin the truth.

u can say what u want but i aint lie about nothin i said.
ROFLMFAO! I just love reading this one, its the funniest thing I've read.
Quote:
"I’m still fuming about the Olympic bid. There were a lot of people here who tried to justify it by saying that hosting the Olympics would turn Chicago into a world-class city. A repeated refrain often heard around Chicago is “we’ll never become a world-class city like New York City.”
The reference to New York City is always, ALWAYS included. If these people are so determined to live in the five boroughs, they really need to just move there and quit whining in my ear."

Chicago’s Inferiority Complex « The Phoenix Inquirer
^ Of course sometimes to add fuel to the fire you just have to bash away.
Quote:
Yet Philadelphia will always be part of the powerful Bos-Wash corridor while Chicago will always be midwestern.
^ So uhh, what is the hate on for the entire region of the Midwest?
Quote:
jus look at da videos. philly is way more street than the chi. like i said, chicago is real country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSY2_aC8WQ
^ Wow.

Quote:
i know what im sayin cuz i went to chicago like 4 or 5 times. the people r real country; they talk country, act coutnry, errything about chicago is country. at least on southside where my mom's got some fam but i know they are country for real. almost errybody dere from alabama or missisippi and the street culture is not urban like philidelphia, trust me i know. da brat, twista, crucial conflct dey is all from chicago and they are country
Quote:
da problem is y'all are lookin at some buildings and being like "oh, this city is urban because we got buildings" but even atlanta got buildings right? and y'all still think atlanta's country though. chitown got some nice buildings but once u leave the downtown the city grows country real quick. dudes be soundin' like my cousins in arkansas.
Quote:
Philly still feels more urban. Sorry urbanologist. And Chicago is no NYC not even close.
^ I quickly realized this dude keeps saying the same thing. I also noticed Philadelphians swiftly put words into peoples mouths, I noticed that in other threads also, and then twist the meaning of things up.

So in summery:

Chicago bash score: Over 9,000!
Philadelphia Bash score: 1 (me)

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but to me at least it seems like the vast majority (not all) of the Philadelphia posters have no respect for anything outside of Philadelphia. And honestly in all the threads I have been in Philadelphians post some outrageous things to one up the city they are against. Like Washington DC being irrelevant, LOL LMFAO I still cant get over that thread.

Honestly, its an observation of mine but they also cry about being bashed a lot when in reality no one in City-vs-City bashes them (besides me today) and they always end up with like 60 votes every thread (besides this one).

I just feel like Philadelphians hate any place thats not Philadelphia, it is rare when I see any of them give props to another city (an observation of mine) and when they do its things that are obvious like "Chicago is urban" or "Dallas has a great economy" its like nahh captain obvious we already knew that. It just seems like they have a hard time accepting deficiencies in their city, and I swear to god, and I will pay you all $4,000 immediately if you can find the poster I quoted ever saying 3 negative things about Philadelphia. I seriously will.

I just feel there is a lack of respect from that side and the fact that Chicago has gotten clubbed to death in this thread is evident of that. So if Philadelphia is more urban? Why do they feel the need to say Chicago is country or a wasteland?

And as depicted when I first started quoting apparently Philadelphia is a perfect society, no problems because they have the best suburbs, the best everything. (As evident by the posts here)

And by the way, before you try to paint me for being someone with "too much time" I pressed the multi quote button and finished this post in 11 minutes. It honestly didn't take long. So before you try to paint me as the bad guy, I just had to explain. (Now I have to explain myself because Philadelphians resort to personally characterizing people as well).

I still like Philadelphia the city despite how much I don't want to by what I read on here. Its honestly insane to be honest. But thats just my opinion, and from my observations as a 3rd party. I'm glad I got the opportunity to visit Philadelphia before this site, because I know its a nice city with great hard working people, if I didn't visit it, I wouldn't want to after seeing these things being said. And for the people that are saying I was "bashing" are you insane? What have the first 20 pages of this thread been to you? Pleasure reading? Everything I posted was a fact, it can be looked up with a simple Google search with keywords, ^ but the stuff said about Chicago are FAR from fact. The difference is that I actually did layout an apology as well, no one is sorry for crippling Chicago's image, Philadelphians (what seems like to me) are happy bashing a place and then boosting theirs. It seems like a pattern, in my opinion.

Anyone who says Philadelphia got bashed in this thread aside from me, is blind, and anyone who denies Chicago did is foolishly blind.
Quote:
I'm glad you agree, because honestly, its not even just this thread its almost every thread about that city now. No negatives are mentioned. Philadelphians get defensive when you say the words "crime" and "poverty" and immediately say "its secluded to one part of the city" when honestly it doesn't matter the point is they have high percentages of both those things. But they are the same people who will take a sword and cut the heads off Houston, Atlanta, Washington DC, & Dallas (and anyone else they are compared to) and point out all of the flaws in those cities. And they will continuously keep doing it to the point where they average 80 posts in a thread about Houston, (more than any Houston local averages themselves). And honestly this is all my observation and opinion of course. Not saying all of them do that, not all, but a lot of them do. And I can prove it easily, very very easily.

Last edited by DANNYY; 10-25-2010 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
This thread is all over the place. I love both Chicago and Philadelphia and think they are two of the most urban cities in America but urbanity is not solely defined using population stats. In the core, Philadelphia "feels" more urban/vibrant. While in Chicago I felt that some areas in the core felt as urban/vibrant as anywhere in the country while some areas felt desolate and very spaced out. So I can see an argument for both sides. I would say Philly has the edge while comparing the cores of each city while Chicago has the edge on a much larger scale overall.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Chicago comes in 6th in the world
Philadelphia, doesn't even rank

Whats your excuse? Let me guess it, "bu bu but Chicago has more land areas!" yeah right, this is the real world, improve what you have and stop complaining.
Dude FWIW the Chicago snobs started the mudslinging.

And that GWAC ranking is a complete and utter waste of time and space.Its trash.

And yes Chicagos encapturemnet area is nearly 2x the size of Phillys. Chicagos metro is nearly 10,000 sq mi. whereas Phillys is 5,000 sq. mi. obviously Chicagos economic numbers will be greater.

Now why does Chicagos metro sprawl 120 miles and Philadelphia cant even get credit for areas a mere 15 miles away from its city limits is beyond me.The biased nature of the
OMB towards Philadlephia is incredulous.

Draw a circle 50 miles around the center of Chicago and Philadlephia. It would arguably be Chicago looking up at Philadelphia asfar as GDp and various economic indicators.

Last edited by rainrock; 10-25-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City