Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times

Advertisements

right.

well, i will believe the countless images, books, movies, video games, songs, what i saw with my own eyes, what my parents saw, etc. that back up my statements about ny over absolutely nothing about barcelona except your word.

even the elderly in barcelona would raise an eyebrow at this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you're moving goal posts. first barcelona was covered in graffiti long before nyc then it was the mid 70's, now its well the wealthy part of barcelona was covered when midtown or whatever was not covered therefore everything else you've been saying is validated.

since it was so covered, where are the images? who was writing?
You are the absolute master at moving goal posts. I certainly can't compete with that, and have no desire to.

You have the last word, eek. We all bow down to the epicenter of the entire world.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 AM
eek

i saw a ufo with 2pac in the drivers seat a week ago. he was yelling something about a revolution in spanish (he spent time in cuba, remember?). i couldn't hear it clearly because he had juicy blasting from the speakers.

i don't have anything to back it up like a photo or a video or even the audio but i think everybody should believe me.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
even the elderly in barcelona would raise an eyebrow at this.
And you know this how?

How hard is it for you to ask ANYONE around you if Midtown experienced what you claim here? I mean, really?

Again, I'm out for good. Extreme, provincial homerism wins again.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
eek

just as hard as it is for you to find an image, article or a writer from the mid 70's in barcelona to back up your statements.

again, i'm going to believe the photos of the trains covered from head to toe in ugly, crude tags with dots and assume that if the trains looked like that then the walls looked like that before i assume the same about barcelona when there isn't one image, train, wall, truck, etc. to be seen with modern graffiti from that time period OR before.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Air Conditioned stations? Where , they can't air condition a station......unless it has platform screen doors and only a few stations will have those. Some stations have fans but many do not. 24hr service is good , but the system should be shut down for a cleaning. The PATH cleans its Tunnels and Stations once a day and its a 24/7 system. At the rate the MTA keeps raising the fare , it will be higher then DC's by 2020. Some of the cars are very dirty , and some do not have heat or air conditioning. The system needs to be expanded into Queens and Brooklyn and the Light Rail network needs to be expanded into Jersey.
when was the last time you have been to nyc? It is almost rare to be in a car that doesnt have ac or air conditioning. I take the subway nearly everyday so i know because if it was really as bad as your labeling it then im sure by now i would of been in a couple cars with no ac or heat. Also the trash in the cars thing is annoying really. How clean do you expect a dense city with 8 million people to be really on the trains? With that being said when ever a train pulls up to its terminal their are always transit workers with specific jobs who clean the cars. So all the trash you might see on a train will be cleaned after it arrives at its terminal.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
all old cars (the dirty ones for example that still run on the J/Z sometimes or the C train) are being retired, tho. most lines are operating the new cars. most of the old cars have been put in the bottom of the ocean to serve as artificial reefs.

there isn't a train car operating right now in nyc that doesn't have air conditioning.

the PATH doesn't carry anywhere near as many passengers daily so of course its cleaner.

the fare hikes are ridiculous, i'll give you that, but in all honesty, we're still paying a lot less than even cities in the U.S., let alone the world. we get far more bang for our buck. that is not justifying the service cuts or the fare hike but it is what it is.

bk doesn't need an expansion as far as lines, IMO. eastern queens does, but again, they are covered by the lirr and many buses.

J/Z old lines are all retired by now. THE C sometimes runs with the r44 trains that the A have.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'Graffiti' is a Latin term...Ancient Rome is where it was popularized.
Quote:
Interesting! I had no idea....

Oh yeah. There's plenty of ancient graffiti anthropologist have found scrawled on the walls of old Roman Buildings. Some of it rather vulgar. But these were people that often had sex and relieved themselves in public and watched people killed and torn apart for entertainment.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Cleanliness has as much to do with the passengers as MTA's sanitation department. There needs to be some kind of system to stop people from just throwing or leaving crap everywhere.

There are definitely train cars that cease having air conditioning for some time--also, I'm not sure which stations you have in mind when you say they're air-conditioned. If there is a truly air-conditioned station in the system, it is in the far minority.

As far as expansion goes, eastern queens can certainly do with some lines, but I think the L train is very much in need of an express line or a way to manage much shorter headways. Also, the G not connecting to the JMZ and 2/3/4/5 is pretty ridiculous. That train really should be the lifeblood of downtown Brooklyn.

The real gripes about NYC's system isn't coverage though. It's how behind the times they are with very basic technology and basic reliability.

We're just now getting notifications for when the next train is approaching. It's going to be a good long time before we start using RFID passes instead of swiping magnetic strips (meanwhile, Tokyo's system allows you to just wave your phone over a sensor). We aren't getting air-conditioned stations anytime soon, nor are we getting cell phone service underground (which is probably for the best in NYC, as this isn't a city where most people would be polite enough to not be annoying gits while they gab on the phone).

The train's are pretty reliable in regards to MTA's own metric--but that means nothing when trying to compare with the world's best systems. Service disruptions and changes for the system are incredibly frequent in regards to other systems. Also, signage for service changes and disruptions are poorly done--usually shown within the station after you've already swiped in. Now, 24 hour service, express trains (though some places have integrated commuter rail so well into the system that they serve as super-express systems) and a flat fee (albeit a rather expensive flat fee, so this one's iffy) to anywhere in the system are the big pros that not all the other big contenders have. However, I've known people who've hated the cons of the system so much that they find NYC's system laughably bad. It's pretty subjective.

I know the people who designed the new traincars (interior and the exterior facade). How do you like them?

the L train runs on two tracks for 100 percent of its line so express trains for the L are impossible unless the mta remodeled the whole line. BY the way the L train is so quick that express isnt even needed. From what i think i know i believe from canarsie to 8th ave in Manhattan is like a 30 minute ride. Given how far canarsie is from 8th ave and 14th street i would say that is one quick ride. Also the great thing about the L is that you do now wait super long for it and it barely ever delays since it doesn't run with no other line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
eek

r44's retired. the last one ran like a month ago. i missed it. from what i heard, they had structural problems and had to be retired earlier than expected.

the A is full of r46's now which used to run on the F.

the A is out of the way but i'll definitely have to ride it a few times before they retire those. the A/C seems to be where all of the old cars they're going to retire go before they throw them at the bottom of the ocean.

i still miss the slants.

i don't think i'd mind the new trains as much if they had the same start/stop sound as the r46's...OR at least have the colorful circles (bullets, iirc) on the front and back or something. lol can we compromise??

i'm not feeling every train looking pretty much identical to each other.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City