Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
iirc, i just heard something last week about cell phone service...
and the MTA still has plans on a card system like tokyo's, regardless if they execute it today or tomorrow. its in the works. tokyo didn't get it overnight and neither will we.
and "meanwhile" ppl in tokyo are sleeping on benches because their system isn't 24 hours.

again, each subway system has its pros and cons.

ppl are acting like other places in the world have everything figured out and executed. cleanliness too. this is not the case. the grass looks greener on the other side but it is not necessarily so.

i have been there and i'm telling you its not as clean or executed as you would think. and there is far more graffiti on trains, in stations, etc. in parts of europe IMHO. delays are indeed an issue in london as they are here.

ppl are complaining, or rather choosing to cherry pick things about the nyc subway system that plague these other systems but they don't want to talk about negatives/cons of the other systems.

i think thats bull.

as far as the designs of the new train cars...IMHO thats a con. europe is far better at choosing designs. ny fell off.

this was the last aesthetically pleasing car to me:

once we retired those, plus the train cars that used to run on the F (they didn't retire these but they no longer run on the F so its basically retired to me ), it was a wrap.

no more colorful circles on the front/sides, no more variety, we haven't had color since the early 90's...well, i guess you could count the trains that used to run on the 7 line back in the early 00's...but other than that, we haven't had any color since the very early 90's with the blue stripe.

its like really?? all silver? again? the same exact design pretty much as the last after you removed the blue stripe? woooow. way to go!

meanwhile, europe and asia have the dopest looking subway cars (IMHO).
yea the r160a/b and r143 all looking the same to is retarded. Hopefully the r179 that they are proposing looks completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:

(don't get me wrong...MOAS (monsters of art...its a crew out of various areas of the world) is dope and i do wish graffiti would make a comeback...it'd make our boring trains look "cool" IMHO. we're going to be stuck with these boring designs for 30+ years anyway, right?)
did graffiti like that really happen on those new trains?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Eek I was praising the Asian systems for being spotless not the European ones. Though the smell of urine, especially in some of the NYC transfer tunnels, bothers me more than graffiti. Especially if I'm lucky enough to see anything done by Banksy.
the urine smell is awful but it isn't a major problem in NYC like some of you wish. Its the same way people complain about rats in the mta subway even though the reality is you do not see them often.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
yeah asia does have nice, spotless stations.

i was going to move on to a different topic but i came across this pic of a paris station:

is that really that different from something you'd see in ny? granted thats one out of many paris stations and i'm 100% sure they're all cleaner than our worst here...but dirty/deteriorating stations in paris do exist.

to be fair, one of our worst:

west 4th st

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjoEXB5wbg
actually the worst stations i have seen in the mta are all the Manhattan stops on the J line. They look very scary and ugly and partly abandoned.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
why we're the mecca:

nyc not being the mecca and the birthplace of the above doesn't even compute. i don't know a single writer that would agree with that.

what other city on earth was doing it at the time we were? and what cities started AFTER we did it?? exactly. ppl are still trying to recapture the golden era/graffiti movement in ny.
the outside of them were cool but the inside was simply nasty lol.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It's not hard to figure out that you are fairly young. I stand by my claim.

The simple fact is that to you, absolutely nothing worldwide in any possible category can compare to NY. Fine. Think what you will. Many of us know that is simply beyond ridiculous, and it's the most extreme homerism I've ever run across - but whatever.
its only homerism because he was from nyc. If he was from another city yu wouldn't have no issues with that at all . Also like eek said are we really going to argue about graffiti and nyc history? People pretty much knows that graffiti was a nyc mecca.Lets not even argue about this please.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
73 (iirc)

74:

the last pic is AMAZING if you're into graffiti. the fact that its still up after 36 years is crazy.
their were no r62 trains in 74 HELL NO.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
r44's retired. the last one ran like a month ago. i missed it. from what i heard, they had structural problems and had to be retired earlier than expected.

the A is full of r46's now which used to run on the F.

the A is out of the way but i'll definitely have to ride it a few times before they retire those. the A/C seems to be where all of the old cars they're going to retire go before they throw them at the bottom of the ocean.

i still miss the slants.

i don't think i'd mind the new trains as much if they had the same start/stop sound as the r46's...OR at least have the colorful circles (bullets, iirc) on the front and back or something. lol can we compromise??

i'm not feeling every train looking pretty much identical to each other.
the r44 is retired? they ran a couple of them on the C line a week ago , and i havnt noticed the r46 on the A line. The a/c lines are not the routes i normally take but next time i take em i will look at the cars running.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
r44's retired. the last one ran like a month ago. i missed it. from what i heard, they had structural problems and had to be retired earlier than expected.

the A is full of r46's now which used to run on the F.

the A is out of the way but i'll definitely have to ride it a few times before they retire those. the A/C seems to be where all of the old cars they're going to retire go before they throw them at the bottom of the ocean.

i still miss the slants.

i don't think i'd mind the new trains as much if they had the same start/stop sound as the r46's...OR at least have the colorful circles (bullets, iirc) on the front and back or something. lol can we compromise??

i'm not feeling every train looking pretty much identical to each other.
the slants were ok i guess but i loved the bumpy trains r32. The only thing that sucked about that train was the horrible scream of the brakes.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
the urine smell is awful but it isn't a major problem in NYC like some of you wish. Its the same way people complain about rats in the mta subway even though the reality is you do not see them often.
Why would anyone wish it? And the rats aren't all over the place but you will see them on the tracks late at night. It is what it is...I'm not trying to offend New Yorkers but just comparing against the other systems I've taken. And judging by practically every 'best transit system in the world' list I've seen my view is not in the minority.

By the way the CTA is dirty too and is well behind MTA overall. I have no agenda of boosting my city or trolling against NYC which I visit often and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City