Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
See, this is where you lose a lot of people. Do you really believe that the graffiti in Europe is a bunch of people trying to "emulate" New York?
'Graffiti' is a Latin term...Ancient Rome is where it was popularized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
yeah asia does have nice, spotless stations.

i was going to move on to a different topic but i came across this pic of a paris station:

is that really that different from something you'd see in ny? granted thats one out of many paris stations and i'm 100% sure they're all cleaner than our worst here...but dirty/deteriorating stations in paris do exist.

to be fair, one of our worst:

west 4th st

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjoEXB5wbg

Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'Graffiti' is a Latin term...Ancient Rome is where it was popularized.
Interesting! I had no idea.....

Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 AM
eek

Quote:
See, this is where you lose a lot of people. Do you really believe that the graffiti in Europe is a bunch of people trying to "emulate" New York?
as a former graffiti artist, yes.

i'm fully aware of the subculture that i was a part of. graffiti as we, and we being the world, know it was started in philly and popularized in nyc.

MANY around the world consider nyc to be the mecca of graffiti when it comes to trains, and for good reason.

you see it in video games, comic books, movies, etc. there is a reason why nyc trains are still shown as if its the 80s in media. you play final fight? look at the subay system. you play gta 4? look at the trains. look how they depict nyc.

you look at crews such as MOA and their interviews and ask them why they write on trains.

nyc is a graffiti mecca, period. i don't care who i lost, if you're not remotely interested in the subculture then of course you won't understand my statement.

london, paris, rome, etc. have been emulating for years now. check the netherlands, australia, etc.

thats NY ish.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
eek

if you think style wars, beat street and wild style didn't create a bunch of overnight artists in the streets of london, for example, you're crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHVls3r-3rk

Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
as a former graffiti artist, yes.

i'm fully aware of the subculture that i was a part of. graffiti as we, and we being the world, know it was started in philly and popularized in nyc.

MANY around the world consider nyc to be the mecca of graffiti when it comes to trains, and for good reason.

you see it in video games, comic books, movies, etc. there is a reason why nyc trains are still shown as if its the 80s in media. you play final fight? look at the subay system. you play gta 4? look at the trains. look how they depict nyc.

you look at crews such as MOA and their interviews and ask them why they write on trains.

nyc is a graffiti mecca, period. i don't care who i lost, if you're not remotely interested in the subculture then of course you won't understand my statement.

london, paris, rome, etc. have been emulating for years now. check the netherlands, australia, etc.

thats NY ish.
Sorry, but I'm not buying this.

I was in Barcelona years before you were born, and it was covered in grafitti back then. I was actually shocked, it even covered monuments, residential buildings, etc. This was WAY before New York was bathed in it - so I have to disagree here.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 AM
eek

why we're the mecca:

http://getnloose.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/****head-panel-reas-720x297.jpg (broken link)

nyc not being the mecca and the birthplace of the above doesn't even compute. i don't know a single writer that would agree with that.

what other city on earth was doing it at the time we were? and what cities started AFTER we did it?? exactly. ppl are still trying to recapture the golden era/graffiti movement in ny.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM
eek

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not buying this.

I was in Barcelona years before you were born, and it was covered in grafitti back then. I was actually shocked, it even covered monuments, residential buildings, etc. This was WAY before New York was bathed in it - so I have to disagree here.
first off, you don't know when i was born.

second off, bull ****. nyc started graffiti as you know it on trains in the early 70's and before that it was covered in tags in the 60's.

lol @ barcelona. sorry. the spanish wouldn't even agree there.

60's
http://hypebeast.com/blog/theophiluslondon/files/2010/09/Screen-shot-2010-09-30-at-2.55.07-AM.jpg (broken link)

70's

1973:

if you have a pic of the barcelona subway from before 1968 with graffiti covering it, then i'll concede.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
first off, you don't know when i was born.

second off, bull ****. nyc started graffiti as you know it on trains in the early 70's and before that it was covered in tags in the 60's.

lol @ barcelona. sorry. the spanish wouldn't even agree there.

60's

70's
It's not hard to figure out that you are fairly young. I stand by my claim.

The simple fact is that to you, absolutely nothing worldwide in any possible category can compare to NY. Fine. Think what you will. Many of us know that is simply beyond ridiculous, and it's the most extreme homerism I've ever run across - but whatever.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
eek

lol. so because you can't provide facts to back up your statements, while i can, you choose to attack my age (which again, you don't know) and the fact that i support america (and more specifically ny)?

how juvenile.

again, if i'm saying something that is not true, factually incorrect, whatever you want to call it about ny, somebody correct me. if not then keep it moving. if you don't have facts to back up what you're saying then you have no argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City