Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Suburban County Is the Best?
Fort Bend County (Houston) 15 29.41%
Collin County (DFW) 8 15.69%
Montgomery County (DMV) 25 49.02%
Gwinnett County (Atlanta) 15 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times

Advertisements

Which suburban county is better based on:
-shopping
-growth
-diversity
-location (Metro)
-future
-schools
-crime
-etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
I voted for Montgomery County and Gwinnett County.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,622 times
You forgot Westchester county, NY!
but I also voted for Montgomery. It's got a lot of cool edge cities in it like silver spring and bethesda.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Montgomery, easily.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Well it depends on what you want. I live in Fort Bend County its the most diverse on the list (by far and away it is). But Montgomery County, MD can hold its own. Fort Bend is also the fastest growing and is the most upscale part of its metro area. So factor all these in, and you have a good match up against Montgomery County, Maryland. (Which is another powerful one)

I voted for Fort Bend County & Montgomery County. Fort Bend is easily a great place to live, especially given the housing conditions and all the upscale stuff you'll find everywhere.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
is everyone sure the OP is talking about montgomery county md? what's dmv?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
is everyone sure the OP is talking about montgomery county md? what's dmv?
DMV = DC-Maryland-Virginia

Yes I am quite sure I know which one he's talking about. Haha, I voted for the ones that I interact with the most. MC & FB for the win.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,902 times
I am not too familiar with the other counties on the list, so I didnt vote....but after doing some quick research, I would have to say that overall MoCo is the best. However, many in the DC metro area would argue that Fairfax County, VA has surpassed MoCo, MD as the premeire county in the metro.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,353 times
I voted for Montgomery County. It's close to DC, and there are some great edge cities there (Silver Spring and Bethesda). A well-educated populace and headquarters to a lot of biomedical companies and various government agencies. However, I will agree that Fairfax County has surpassed it as the "premier" suburban county in the DMV area. MoCo has the best public transportation options out of these counties listed (if that matters to you).

I sort of have a love-hate relationship with Gwinnett County. There are some nice neighborhoods and the schools are some of the best in the South. But I absolutely hate the congestion and blandness of the area, and the county really should have way more company headquarters out that way. It is an incredibly diverse county though. People cannot believe that large Korean and Hispanic communities are up there due to the dumb stereotypes that people have of Atlanta. It's not exactly the best location if your job is in Downtown Atlanta, as I-85 is the main freeway to get down there. Peachtree Industrial is only a freeway for a short distance and US-78 should've been converted into a freeway further into the county 20 years ago.

I don't know enough about Collin County to really make a fair judgement on it. I guess it would surpass the other counties on shopping and economy (Plano serves as HQ for a LOT of companies). They also have a good reputation for their schools. I think Collin is the least diverse of the four counties in question.

Collin County's growth is just as impressive as Gwinnett. Both of these counties had less than 100,000 people 35-40 years ago and both have almost 1 million now.

I know that Sugar Land and Missouri City get extremely high marks from a lot of people. I've heard mostly good things about Ft. Bend County. It's one of the most diverse counties in the South. Economy wise, it's headquarters to Minute Maid, Schlumberger and other energy companies, so it's pretty well-rounded in that factor.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I know that Sugar Land and Missouri City get extremely high marks from a lot of people. I've heard mostly good things about Ft. Bend County. It's one of the most diverse counties in the South. Economy wise, it's headquarters to Minute Maid, Schlumberger and other energy companies, so it's pretty well-rounded in that factor.
It is the 2nd most diverse county in the South and one of the most in the country. (5th)
20 Most Diverse Counties in the US:
1 Queens, NY
2 Alameda, CA
3 Kings, NY
4 Robeson, NC
5 Fort Bend, TX
6 Hudson, NJ
7 New York, NY(Manhattan)
8 Harris, TX (Houston area)
9 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA
14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, NJ (Newark)
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, NY
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City